• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Ok - I have a new reason to encourage bikers NOT to ride on 30-A but head up to 98:

(And I never realized this before this thread and I started paying attention)

There is no shoulder on most of 30-A

There is a 3'+ shoulder on both sides of 98.

-And the 98 shoulders are marked as bike lanes!! Very few cross streets. The cars can easily move into the inside lane to pass!!

Ride your bikes on 98. If you want to ride along Scenic 30-A, there is no excuse not to slow down , and enjoy the ride on the bike path.

Uncle Timmy makes perfect sense. 30A is too dangerous, and I would not allow my child to ride on the road, nor would I do it myself - even if we were serious bikers. Not because of anything other than I don't want to be killed by some car who doesn't see me or isn't paying attention. And that is what happens. And I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often here because you know how tourists drive when they don't know where the heck they are going, they have had a few, etc. I wish SJ and RO would find a safer place to haul their OMBs, but if they wish to risk their lives on 30A, then of course they should have that right, but I will not like it.

:wave:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
There is no shoulder on most of 30-A

There is a 3'+ shoulder on both sides of 98.

That's why one of my sugeestions for the scenic corridor was that they add a 3' shoulder to the road instead of the nonexistent current one. Room for bikers who can't/don't ride on the path and traffic.

I think the traffic speed on 98 is a bit high for bikers, but I also don't ride my bike in the road on 30A for that same reason........

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
you wouldn't catch me on 30A or 98. I think the bike path is also dangerous for biking, with driveways, cars turning in and out, etc. certainly a less crowded stretch of highway is preferrable for many bikers. I like riding in my neighborhood - but I'm not a serious biker.

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
I'll bite. A road bike traveling at 20 mph on 30A in a 25 mph speedlimit is riding beside autos breaking speed limits, but still only traveling at let's say 35 mph.
Compare that risk to the cyclist riding at 20mph on Hwy 98 with the autos and 18 wheeler's traveling at speeds of 75 mph. I think there is much more risk for riding on hwy 98 as compared to the lower speeds on 30A. Also, traffic on 30A is traveling through communities such as Seaside, WaterColor, Rosemary, etc, where the drivers must drive more slowly as they look out for pedistrians.

But if a car leaves Atlanta at 6:50 AM EDT going 75 miles an hour on 85 South, and another one leaves Pensacola on I-10 going 70 miles an hour at 8:30 AM CDT, what time will it be when both drivers have to stop and buy a 20-ounce Coke?

TOO MANY NUMBERS!

Can I still run on the bike path?

you wouldn't catch me on 30A or 98. I think the bike path is also dangerous for biking, with driveways, cars turning in and out, etc. .

I'd rather take my chances on 30A because of your reasons above. The bike path is dangerous at anything more than cruiser bike speeds and even that is hairy in Seagrove and Seacrest.

Yes I think that would be rude, but do you know why they were riding that way? It is often the case that the car operators are rude to the biker, cutting very close while leaning on the horn, etc. Often the only defense when the road is too narrow for a car to safely pass, is for the cyclist to ride left and block that area. That may have been the case here. Remember even the smallest worm becomes a big man behind the wheel of his hummer!

Finally another biker :cool:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I'd rather take my chances on 30A because of your reasons above. The bike path is dangerous at anything more than cruiser bike speeds and even that is hairy in Seagrove and Seacrest.

I do understand and agree. except I want you to ride someplace else. I know drivers can be rude, but those aren't the ones that are gonna run you over - they do notice you and that is a good thing. its the ones who never saw ya to start with.

I've been scared to death more than once when I didn't see a biker til the last second, coming round the bend just as I'm turning onto 30A... :yikes:

and, this just happened yesterday. Biker on 30A, a small flatbed truck goes way around to avoid him and I had to slam on breaks and go off the road to keep being hit head on by that dang truck! he was headed straight for me! there was just no room for us all. no one was going too fast, there was not enough road. fortunately, I saw it coming and didn't panic.

cute biker butts are definitely a plus though.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
We can argue about this all day, but in car (let alone SUV) vs. bike, I know who the smart money is on!

I don't WANT to hit a bike rider (or power walker, or runner, or those morons who push their baby carriage into traffic while they are hidden from view by cars), but often I can't see them, despite actively looking for them.

When I ride my bike, I assume that every car has no clue I'm there (especially during the season) and am especially cautious in certain areas where I know I'm hard to see.

While I'm sure incidents do occur, I've yet to see someone be rude to a bike rider who is following the rules of the road.