• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Is there a way to get the word out to the Lance Armstrong wannabees that they should ride their bikes on the bike path instead of on the nonexistant shoulder of 30A?

I think it's wonderful that they are out exercising and enjoying the great weather, but my pet peeve is a line of cars waiting to pass a biker ....... when there is a beautifully maintained and empty path just feet away.

Safety issue too - there are some quality and distracted drivers around here who have enough trouble keeping it between the lines and avoiding clipping other cars, let alone a biker they may not see or be aware of.

There are a bunch of reasons that I've heard as to why they don't use the path - skinny tires (BS as I think the path is better than the road in some places), don't want to interfere w/ walkers or slower bikers etc. but I think part of it is that in other areas bike riders aren't supposed to ride on the sidewalk/path. One guy on the road was yelling at other bikers on the path that they were supposed to ride on the road until a friend corrected him.

Wow, I started out just wanting to let bikers know it was okay for them to ride on the path to avoid traffic issues or them being injured by inattentive/poor drivers.

Never thought it meant I was a fat couch potato who hated the environment and drove a gas guzzler while yapping on my phone! Love how these things snowball!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
If a cyclist wants some high speed training, why not use Hwy 98 where cars can more easily get around you? If they are concerned about traffic on 98, why not use Hwy 83, 283, or 395?

I'll bite. A road bike traveling at 20 mph on 30A in a 25 mph speedlimit is riding beside autos breaking speed limits, but still only traveling at let's say 35 mph.
Compare that risk to the cyclist riding at 20mph on Hwy 98 with the autos and 18 wheeler's traveling at speeds of 75 mph. I think there is much more risk for riding on hwy 98 as compared to the lower speeds on 30A. Also, traffic on 30A is traveling through communities such as Seaside, WaterColor, Rosemary, etc, where the drivers must drive more slowly as they look out for pedistrians.

Again, I think the majority of people on bicycles around here rarely ride and they should not be on bicycles until they pass a safety awareness class and test. I also think the same thing about most motorists around here.

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood
Wow, I started out just wanting to let bikers know it was okay for them to ride on the path to avoid traffic issues or them being injured by inattentive/poor drivers.

Never thought it meant I was a fat couch potato who hated the environment and drove a gas guzzler while yapping on my phone! Love how these things snowball!

This is a hot button topic. :rotfl:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I think the point is that 30-A is not the best venue for 'serious bikers', the road or the path.

Although hwy 98 is noted as scenic, you don't get the same feeling as riding on 30A crossing over the beautiful lakes, seeing the dunes and georgeous Gulf on occasion. Serious and recreational road cyclists still like to enjoy the scenery.;-) That is one of the reasons why they ride -- to be out in the open air with Ma Nature.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
ALSO, fun fact that can blamed on the bikers:

The anxiety that drivers feel when stuck in traffic is that of a skydiver about to jump out of a plane for the first time.
Kimmi, I've jumped out of an airplane at 13,000 ft elevation, and I can say that the first time, was as fun as going down a huge waterslide for the first time. Hanging out the open door of the plane, while waiting to jump was almost heavenly. On the other hand, driving through Atlanta gives me anxiety attacks -- seriously.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Kimmi, I've jumped out of an airplane at 13,000 ft elevation, and I can say that the first time, was as fun as going down a huge waterslide for the first time. Hanging out the open door of the plane, while waiting to jump was almost heavenly. On the other hand, driving through Atlanta gives me anxiety attacks -- seriously.

I hear ya brother!!!!!!!

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
I'll bite. A road bike traveling at 20 mph on 30A in a 25 mph speedlimit is riding beside autos breaking speed limits, but still only traveling at let's say 35 mph.
Compare that risk to the cyclist riding at 20mph on Hwy 98 with the autos and 18 wheeler's traveling at speeds of 75 mph. I think there is much more risk for riding on hwy 98 as compared to the lower speeds on 30A. Also, traffic on 30A is traveling through communities such as Seaside, WaterColor, Rosemary, etc, where the drivers must drive more slowly as they look out for pedistrians.

A majority of 30A isn't a 25mph zone, but 35 or 45 mph. And a bicyclist shouldn't be going 20mph thru Seaside anyways due to the pedestrians.

What about Hwy 83, 283, or 395?

(Whew, glad I got away with the Sapndex jabs btw):funn:

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
Bikers have the same right to use the roads as cars do. Get used to it. give them space. Plus road bikes really aren't good on the bike path due to the large amount of glass and rocks on the path. You're at the beach.... slow down your drivin to fast anyhow.

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood

Isn't that an intersting fact though?

Atlanta is a different story all together. :roll:

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood
Bikers have the same right to use the roads as cars do. Get used to it. give them space. Plus road bikes really aren't good on the bike path due to the large amount of glass and rocks on the path. You're at the beach.... slow down your drivin to fast anyhow.

I'd hate to see Joe Paterno biking down 30-A. Talk about a traffic jam.