• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
A few things - my side mirror is about helmet high, and according to Harry Hogge, "Rubbin's racin."

Beemn, bikes are worse for the environment than SUVs, cars and trucks.

And to add to jdarg's question - why do grown people on the beach cruisers wear helmets?

In case the Lance Armstrong types blow past them and knock them off the bikes. Also for drunk driving I guess.:dunno:

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama

6thGen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
Excuse me? And how is this?

The short of it is that it takes far more land to grow food to fuel the cyclist than it does oil to fuel the vehicle, esp. since oil is drilled rather than grown. Also, the CO2 given off by the cyclist (in the form of heavy breathing) is more per mile than the CO2 from vehicles.

potatovixen

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
PCB
www.myspace.com
The short of it is that it takes far more land to grow food to fuel the cyclist than it does oil to fuel the vehicle, esp. since oil is drilled rather than grown. Also, the CO2 given off by the cyclist (in the form of heavy breathing) is more per mile than the CO2 from vehicles.

:dunno:
The problem here would be that the fuel we use in our cars is not a renewable resource, whereas food crops can grow back and keep contributing to the well-being of society.
As for cyclists giving off more CO2, I'd like to see the proof behind that. Even if it's true, there are far more cars out there than bikes, so this doesn't strike me as a very valid argument.

6thGen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
:dunno:
The problem here would be that the fuel we use in our cars is not a renewable resource, whereas food crops can grow back and keep contributing to the well-being of society.
As for cyclists giving off more CO2, I'd like to see the proof behind that. Even if it's true, there are far more cars out there than bikes, so this doesn't strike me as a very valid argument.

Oil is a renewable resource, it just takes longer to renew. Also, no one has proven that it is running out anytime soon. Every time they do, another huge cache shows up somewhere. Besides, the market has proven time and again that there are other forms of energy out there. When they find one more efficient and more cost effective than oil, especially when oil is about to run out and the prices are sky high due to demand significantly outweighing supply, the demand will shift to another energy source. Your argument is a red herring.

There are more cars than bikes because more people know that cars are far more efficient than bikes for transportation. This part of the discussion should be on the other board.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Driving by cyclists on the highway, whether it be 30A or 98 is scary to me. I never know what they are going to do. Hit a rock or spot of sand and tumble! Be mindful that traffic is not restricted to just tourists, but a considerable amount of working people with unbelievable stress must use those same roads.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
Oil is a renewable resource, it just takes longer to renew. Also, no one has proven that it is running out anytime soon...

There are more cars than bikes because more people know that cars are far more efficient than bikes for transportation. This part of the discussion should be on the other board.

This is your opinion, not proven fact, based on some link you found somewhere. you were the one that reopened this tangent.

Personally, I don't see road bikes on 30A as the problem around here. The people who don't regularly ride bicylces, but get on them for easy transport to the beach, on their once a year trip to SoWal, are a huge problem. Driving through WaterColor, I've often seen kids under 10 yrs of age, riding down both lanes of the road, all going in the same direction. Their helmets are usually loosely fitted, hanging on the side of their head. The "adults" are just as bad, though there are always exceptions to the rule.

I think that even for a regular cyclists, visiting the area, the rules are confusing. I've never lived in another town where riding bikes on the sidewalk was legal, and often you will see signs posted alerting people, "no bikes allowed on sidewalk." That rule is for the safety of the public. Here in SoWal, the mulit-purpose path (technically, it is not a bike path) crosses 30A in several places, and the cyclist by law, is to dismount the bicycle and cross. When traveling through Seaside, on 30A, the bike path disappears into a sidewalk. That is a huge problem in my opinion, and I don't know why Seaside has been allowed to not extend the multi-purpose path. For those regular riders from other areas, it can be very confusing.

Again, I don't think that the road cyclists are the problem, but there are plenty of problems that I have with the majority of people on bicycles around here -- the biggest problem is that they don't know, and don't follow the rules. Rather than wanting to run them over, I just breathe deeply and remember that I am at the beach, and making it to an appointment on time, might mean leaving a little bit earlier, rather than running over a person.

I encourage everyone to breathe deeply and focus on driving while you are on 30A. Let's remember some basics, no matter if we are in our car or on our bikes, like stopping for people waiting to cross the busy 30A. Let's give people the benefit of the doubt, and realize that they are trying to be on vacation and trying to keep up with little johnny and little suzie who have just darted across the street on their tiny bicyles, against their parents' wishes. The taking of one's life is serious, and no appointment is worth that time which you might spend in jail. About two years ago, a customer of mine, while driving his truck on 30A, killed a man on a bicycle, who darted out in front of his truck, and let's just say that his life is forever changed.

Slow down, breathe deeply when getting stressed, and remember that the life you save might be someone you know or love.

Well typed SJ :cool:

Everytime this subject comes up I am amazed by the vehicle operators pointing out all the traffic violations of cyclists. Puhhhh.......LEASE :roll: :roll: :roll: ..... Like they never come to a rolling stop, always role at the speed limit, allow 3' when passing a bike, drive back to their condo / house after leaving the Red Bar / Sea Bar / 331 or Grayton Beach tea time only blowing a .08 :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Give Me A Freaking Break :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: