• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
While we are on the subject, can someone please explain to me why riders wear the tight logo spandex shirts when they are clearly NOT on some sort of bike team? I love seeing these- especially on people that look like they went out and bought all the "right" clothes for an occasional bike ride.:rotfl:

Tight's pretty much necessary once you get past a certain speed because the wind will turn a looser fitting shirt into a parachute behind you. Bright colors are good because it makes you more visible to other cyclists and drivers. Logos because it's fun to have Ben & Jerry's or the Cookie Monster on your back

Though you actually do lose style points for wearing the pro kit unless you've got some sort of legit connection to the team, and only a total poseur would wear a plain yellow jersey with the exception of Lance when he used to come down to visit with Sheryl

Tight's pretty much necessary once you get past a certain speed because the wind will turn a looser fitting shirt into a parachute behind you. Bright colors are good because it makes you more visible to other cyclists and drivers. Logos because it's fun to have Ben & Jerry's or the Cookie Monster on your back

Though you actually do lose style points for wearing the pro kit unless you've got some sort of legit connection to the team, and only a total poseur would wear a plain yellow jersey with the exception of Lance when he used to come down to visit with Sheryl

Thanks for posting this. When I first took up the sport I thought the shirt and shorts were stupid and the people wearing them were wannabys blah blah blah. I resisted wearing all that stuff until I realized they serve a purpose. The shirts as mentioned above are bright for a reason. So you can be seen and guess what all you enviro types ..... they have pockets so responsible bikers can stuff their trash instead of tossing it on the side of the road. The shorts..... well all I can say is trying riding a bike for 20, 30, 50, 100 miles without them. Good luck having feeling in your junk again :lol:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Thanks for posting this. When I first took up the sport I thought the shirt and shorts were stupid and the people wearing them were wannabys blah blah blah. I resisted wearing all that stuff until I realized they serve a purpose. The shirts as mentioned above are bright for a reason. So you can be seen and guess what all you enviro types ..... they have pockets so responsible bikers can stuff their trash instead of tossing it on the side of the road. The shorts..... well all I can say is trying riding a bike for 20, 30, 50, 100 miles without them. Good luck having feeling in your junk again :lol:

Yeah but what's with the advertising and logos. What is wrong with a plain shirt? Well, maybe beer logos are OK.:roll:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
While we are on the subject, can someone please explain to me why riders wear the tight logo spandex shirts when they are clearly NOT on some sort of bike team? I love seeing these- especially on people that look like they went out and bought all the "right" clothes for an occasional bike ride.:rotfl:
Easy answer -- people follow the dumb masses. People want to be cool, like all the other cool people. It all starts when advertisers pay cyclists big money to place their logo on the cyclists's outfit. The advertisers do this because they know that the cyclist look cool, get a lot of tv time in big races, and the bottom line is that they sell product! The avg cyclists, wanting to be like the pros, goes out and spends $85 for a jersey, and basically pays to advertise for the companies with the logos on the jerseys. :funn: -- Silly kids! There was a time in my life when I duck taped over all of the brand names on my bike and parts. If a company wanted to pay me to advertise, that is fine, but I'm not paying extra just to advertise for them. Show me the money. ;-) I do like the feel of some of the materials of the jerseys, but I go for the plane jane. I need a hyper green jersey which is the color which I think is the most visible. Most of mine just blend into the color of the asphalt.

Last edited:

jimmyp5

Beach Lover
Mar 1, 2006
Seagrove
The short of it is that it takes far more land to grow food to fuel the cyclist than it does oil to fuel the vehicle, esp. since oil is drilled rather than grown. Also, the CO2 given off by the cyclist (in the form of heavy breathing) is more per mile than the CO2 from vehicles.

Please promise me that you're not serious about this ...

Yeah but what's with the advertising and logos. What is wrong with a plain shirt? Well, maybe beer logos are OK.:roll:

What's with people wearing their favorite team jersey at a football or basketball game??? What about the NASCAR fans wearing their favorite driver's numbers and sponser shirts??? At least bikers are acutally participating in the sport they are passionate about. Not just sitting on the bench or lazyboy fantacising about participating.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
What's with people wearing their favorite team jersey at a football or basketball game??? What about the NASCAR fans wearing their favorite driver's numbers and sponser shirts??? At least bikers are acutally participating in the sport they are passionate about. Not just sitting on the bench or lazyboy fantacising about participating.

OK but please tell me your bike jersey doesn't say advertise for Hooters or Wonderbread.:D

TNJed

Beach Fanatic
Sep 4, 2006
Seagrove Beach, FL
Easy answer -- people follow the dumb masses. People want to be cool, like all the other cool people. It all starts when advertisers pay cyclists big money to place their logo on the cyclists's outfit. The advertisers do this because they know that the cyclist look cool, get a lot of tv time in big races, and the bottom line is that they sell product! The avg cyclists, wanting to be like the pros, goes out and spends $85 for a jersey, and basically pays to advertise for the companies with the logos on the jerseys. :funn: -- Silly kids! There was a time in my life when I duck taped over all of the brand names on my bike and parts. If a company wanted to pay me to advertise, that is fine, but I'm not paying extra just to advertise for them. Show me the money. ;-) I do like the feel of some of the materials of the jerseys, but I go for the plane jane. I need a hyper green jersey which is the color which I think is the most visible. Most of mine just blend into the color of the asphalt.

:lolabove:

I always thought myself the ultimate in branding was when someone pays a company to wear their logo. It's everywhere! A&F, The Gap, any Florida crab shack, Harley Davidson, Nike, etc. ad nauseum

In the hip hop culture this is most pervasive.

Though being an 80s sk8ter and BMX junkie I have been as guilty as most.