• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

raven

Banned
May 14, 2007
speaking of infrastructure...

while the powers that be BARELY communicate with full-time residents, imagine the frustration at being a visitor here?

having been here during one hurricane as a visitor, no matter who i tried to call or speak with i couldn't get any information about evacuation or when it was safe to return; from the development to the county government or any number i called. i was able to find the numbers ONLY by using my computer as we couldn't find a phone book in ourrental unit and there was no concierge or front desk.

NOW, the chamber of commerce has made it clear that because of over development and overcrowded evacuation routes, you may not be able to safely evacuate IN TIME if it's anything over a tropical storm. well, people who are visiting here don't know that. that's not the usual situation for hurricane evacuations, and they're not going to have medical supplies, generators or food if they're stuck here.

local govt are NOT taking responsibility for the HUGE population of visitors and tourists here and i can assure you that eventually this will lead to diasaster. it does not make me happy in any way to make the revelation. i do not wish to be on the other end of an i told you so, that so recklessly disregards human lives.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
North Lake are you still reading........

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
The Walton County Library off of 331 has a pamphlet with hurricane/emergency info including numbers to call for information and Sowal is a great resource as well. I don't have more sources as I've always relied on the radio and other locals for updates & evacuation info. I think there's a thread somewhere on here with much more info and advice too.

I realize it's difficult and frustrating to plan around the whims of a hurricane/tropical storm, but basically if there's a potential hurricane on the way you probably shouldn't be here if you're not a resident.

Not only is it not as much fun to be vacationing when the beaches are closed, restaurants, stores, and other businesses will be closing and/or busy with storm prep and as you mentioned, you are not adequately prepared and don't have the resources required if you are forced to stay.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
The Walton County Library off of 331 has a pamphlet with hurricane/emergency info including numbers to call for information and Sowal is a great resource as well. I don't have more sources as I've always relied on the radio and other locals for updates & evacuation info. I think there's a thread somewhere on here with much more info and advice too.

I realize it's difficult and frustrating to plan around the whims of a hurricane/tropical storm, but basically if there's a potential hurricane on the way you probably shouldn't be here if you're not a resident.

Not only is it not as much fun to be vacationing when the beaches are closed, restaurants, stores, and other businesses will be closing and/or busy with storm prep and as you mentioned, you are not adequately prepared and don't have the resources required if you are forced to stay.

Seems like you are asking for a little common sense and personal responsibility. You better be careful ;-) .

On a more serious note.. Hopefully, the one good thing that will come from a terrible storm like Katrina is that tropical systems are serious and if one is coming get out of the way. I have heard of storms getting stronger quickly in the Gulf (like Opal) but not typically starting up and hitting in less then a few days.

As I mentioned in another post, evacuation was EXTREMELY effective with Hurricane Dennis as it was a ghost town 24 hours out. By the way, that was two years ago yesterday.

As for the hurricane brochure, I have also seen it at the South Walton Annex, Chamber of Commerce and TDC all on 331. Here is the County website that has alll of the same information and more.

http://www.co.walton.fl.us/default.asp?ID=63

In regards to the need of information as a full time resident, you can always contact citizen services at 892-8530 if you have ANY question about the County and they will get you the information or point you in the right direction.

Sorry for jumping on the tangent bandwagon...maybe this should be over in traffic...

Last edited:

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Scooterbug is quite right, it's a can of worms. Access is one thing, but the right to use the beach, other than to traverse it on your way to somewhere else, is another thing. If your access is only a few feet wide and the beaches to your left and right are privately owned and the owners decide to defend their rights, you better keep moving.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Seems like you are asking for a little common sense and personal responsibility. You better be careful ;-) .

Must be a holdover from my college days when I got so frustrated w/ people's inability to function in daily life that I dubbed myself "Capt. Obvious" and issued humorous proclamations as the "Commissioner of Common Sense"!

In Raven's defense, if you're not familiar w/ hurricanes you really don't know what to do and it can seem chaotic. My first evacuation was very nerve racking, now I sort of hope for an "evacucation" at least once a summer.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Must be a holdover from my college days when I got so frustrated w/ people's inability to function in daily life that I dubbed myself "Capt. Obvious" and issued humorous proclamations as the "Commissioner of Common Sense"!

In Raven's defense, if you're not familiar w/ hurricanes you really don't know what to do and it can seem chaotic. My first evacuation was very nerve racking, now I sort of hope for an "evacucation" at least once a summer.

That's very funny.:rofl:

I agree completely that hurricanes and other storms are terrible and chaotic at best. My main point was simply that we shouldn't count on government to tell us they are in post Katrina times. That storm impacted three coastal states, it was not a narrowly defined storm. So the best advice is what you put to begin with. If a storm is coming visitors shouldn't be here. If you are here, leave. With Weather Channel, Anderson Cooper and Fox News there should be no surprises for anyone.

Last edited:

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I have heard of storms getting stronger quickly in the Gulf (like Opal) but not typically starting up and hitting in less then a few days.
No, not typically. But it happens. Tropical Storm Alberto on July 3, 1994, for one. The winds were never strong enough to be a serious threat, but that storm produced record-breaking rainfall and fatalities in Georgia from flooding. According to the NHC archives, it actually began as a wave off the coast of Africa on June 18. But it mostly died out and reformed more than once. When it finally took shape in the Gulf it blew up quickly. Take a look at the Watch and Warning Lead Times, from NHC:
For Destin:
Tropical Storm Watch - not issued
Tropical Storm Warning - 24 hours
Hurricane Warning - 15 hours.
That's right, 15 hours warning on Fourth of July weekend. Most people stayed put because it wasn't a Katrina, but lots decided to leave, that is the ones that were able to get gas. It was quite the traffic jam at the Seagrove Tom Thumb. Forecasting is better these days so we might get a bit longer, maybe enough hours to equal the evacuation time. Oh, but wait, on the Fourth of July, and everybody would have to leave pretty much at the same time....:eek:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
My concern is that the Weather Channel and others have gotten so sensationalized that a "cry, wolf" scenario is quickly approaching, and they are undoing the hard lessons learned from Katrina.

I always err on the side of caution just because I'd rather leave and not have any problems then stay and have big ones.

I consider my best possible contribution to the emergency process to be getting myself out of the way so our community's resources can be focused on those who truly need it.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
For some reason, the song "Should I Stay or Should I Go" is in my head after reading this thread.