• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
I know many don't see the Beach Breeze/Defuniak Herald so I thought I would post this article from July 12th that I found interesting. It looks like we will have more fireworks in addition to handcuffs on the beach. By the way, note that this will affect private individuals and vendors so let the funn begin..

Items left on beach to be removed

By DOTTY NIST

"Remove it or lose it," is now the rule in the evening on Walton County beaches.
To alleviate what has been identified as "a severe problem," Walton County has initiated a coordinated approach to have beaches clear of clutter in the evenings. The clutter of chairs, awnings, umbrellas, and other items on the beach has long been a complaint of South Walton Turtle Watch volunteers.
Federally-protected native sea turtles come onto the beach during their spring and fall nesting season, and their reproduction can be hampered by obstacles left on the beach in the evening. Human beachgoers can also run into or trip over these obstacles as they walk on the beach at night.
On June 28, Pat Blackshear, county planning and development services director, announced a cooperative effort between the county, the tourism council, and the sheriff's office to address the problem.
Blackshear explained that items left on the beach would be tagged and then removed after 24 hours if not taken off the beach by their owners. The policy applies both to private individuals and beach vendors, who are being notified by mail.
Walton County Sheriff's Office and Walton County Code Enforcement personnel will share patrol and tagging duties. South Walton Tourist Development Council (TDC) personnel will pick up tagged items once the 24-hour period has elapsed, and owners will forfeit items that are picked up.
TDC Executive Director Kriss Titus commented that, while Walton County's beaches have been honored by the Clean Beaches Council, she believes that the TDC has not been getting the message out about the importance of an uncluttered beach.
She said the TDC plans a "remove it or lose it" marketing campaign and will post information on its web page urging visitors to comply.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Like the Sheriff's Office and Code Enforcement have the (wo)manpower to do that job. They don't even direct traffic, much less fine illegal vehicles on the beach. Does Pat Blackshear go to the beach? Has she seen the lines of tents and cheap crap on the beaches, every day? I don't think so.

dunelover

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma girl
www.thebeamstore.com
Just an fyi in regards to this. While at Dunes of Seagrove the trend over a period of days was to leave things under the walkover, not overnight, just during the day (during the needed afternoon naps)....Apparently, some owners were ticked that it was not a pretty sight and without warning all the stuff was dumped, some was taken to the maintenance office......So, my point.....Don't trust that your stuff is even safe during the day, move it or lose it!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
If this is true, they might start over at the area shown on the www.bluemountainvillas.com website. Everytime I check it out early in the morning, there are chairs, umbrellas and TENTS :angry: that have obviously been left there overnight.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Just an fyi in regards to this. While at Dunes of Seagrove the trend over a period of days was to leave things under the walkover, not overnight, just during the day (during the needed afternoon naps)....Apparently, some owners were ticked that it was not a pretty sight and without warning all the stuff was dumped, some was taken to the maintenance office......So, my point.....Don't trust that your stuff is even safe during the day, move it or lose it!

If the stuff was next to a TDC trashcan, the garbage people will remove it, thinking it is trash. Often the TDC trashcans are beside the walkover entrances on the beach. ;-)

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
:clap: :clap: :clap: that sheeet is hazardous and U-G-L-Y :eek: :eek: :eek:
Mother Nature needs to look like nature not umbrella frames everywhere;-)

Bluznbeach

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
www.davidsswan.com
Amen, Kristi. It's unfortunate, but some people act like a public beach is their own private sandbox and just leave their stuff all over the place. This is not only bad for the turtles but is just discourteous to the humans.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I just have to relay this story- Last weekend, we were down at the beach early in the morning. My mother-in-law noticed a lamp, complete with shade, lying close to the shore. She started over to get it, but before she could grab it, a girl driving a black jeep w/ a Walton county beach permit, picked up the lamp and chucked it INTO THE WATER. My MIL was yelling at her to stop, then asked her why she would do such a thing. She answered "It was old and broken". Unreal.:cry:

The day before, we were talking to a family that had tent set-up in that same area I did politely explain about the turtles). Apparently on 4th of July, a group of people took over their tent and brought in lamps :)idontno: ) and had a party. What is the deal with the lamps? I didn't know there were plugs on the beach. And the a$$holes left a lamp behind-

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I had heard some tents were cleared in Dune Allen and folks who left them out were not happy about it.

Daily, countywide enforcement isn't necessary, just enforcement along random stretches on a consistent basis. After a couple of seasons the word will get out.

Vendors could be enlisted to leave tags and provide info to authorities. They would probably be happy to do it since items left on the beach infringe and impeded their business.