• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
Haven't been to Grayton in two years because of other trips but plan to come back next June. It sounds less and less inviting and perhaps next year will be our last trip.
I'm confused about the beach. Is it to be admired from a distance only? Should the accessible beaches be kept for photo opportunities? I remember reading about the tents and understand that the turtle people want things off the beach at night. We can do that. We thought it was great back then to be able to leave your stuff on the beach without anyone bothering it, but if there are issues with that - we stopped that.
We love coming to a beach. Living in the Ohio Valley, there are few spots that draw you to the outside the way the beach area does. We love our beach trips for R&R.
We'll probably not fool with a tent anymore but bring an umbrella - we want to be able to stay out there as much as possible. The water is so wonderful to look at and quite frankly the water at Grayton has been a challenge - pretty to look at....sea weed/algae, whatever, was the challenge, then jellyfish, then DEADLY rip currents, now sharks...
I can't remember, but I guess Captain Sam(?) has the beach rental service. Maybe we will do that to support the local economy. Is that alright with everyone if we rent those all week and they stay in their place from morning until afternoon?
I am going to put on my calendar to remind me to rent 'our' spot after Christmas for June. See ya...

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Good luck.
When reporting potential violations of environmental threats from people with track hoes, who can destroy a huge piece of property within hours, the Code Enforcement will typically arrive on the scene the following day. I have been for getting this crap off the beach for a long time, but if the Code Enforcement is so understaffed that they cannot even handle the seriously potential damaging acts, there is no way in heck that they, or our understaffed SO will be tagging and removing the thousands, yes thousands of pieces of crap from the beach.

Let's say that Pat's idea of tagging items, then removing them after 24 hours, goes through. Is the SO or CE going to recall which Walmart chair or umbrella or tent they tagged, so that they can then proceed to remove the items? Do you seriously think that the tent owner will not remove the tag?

Good luck.

I think it would be a cheaper alternative to pay a few people to clear the beach at dawn every day, and allow the collectors to keep and sell the crap which they collect. It wouldn't be tying up the Sheriff's deputies and the Code Enforcement from conducting important business like hauling beach goers to jail for sitting quietly on the beach.

Now, that's the Smiling Joe we know and love. Realism with a slight touch of positive reinforcement. ;-) :D

I know its going to be a long road to work it all out too but at least they are putting a plan in place. Maybe Kurt is right that at least with consistent enforcement at random stretches will work.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
That might be stretching it. What if I set up my two beach chairs, sat in them for a few hours, and decided to take an hour long walk down the beach and back, and I had planned to stay even later to watch the stars, yet when I come back, my chairs were taken. Does going for a walk or swim, constitute abandonment, like it does at The Retreat?

Good point. I was focussing on Skunky's question regarding it being there as the sun sets. If it looks abandoned it and will be staying all night, then I personally consider it abandoned. If I went to Central Park or other smaller parks and left stuff overnight, I wouldn't expect it to be there the next day. My comment is more focussed on what's left overnight.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Smiling JOe;265211 [B said:
I think it would be a cheaper alternative to pay a few people to clear the beach at dawn every day, and allow the collectors to keep and sell the crap which they collect. It wouldn't be tying up the Sheriff's deputies and the Code Enforcement from conducting important business like hauling beach goers to jail for sitting quietly on the beach.[/B]

I thought someone used to be paid by the county/tdc/etc to pick up random stuff and would then sell it near Collaborations?

I had a lovely day at the beach saturday - no "privateers" in sight, but lots of excess floats, tents that stayed unoccupied all day, and cigarette butts!

Love to see some of those TDC $ going to general beach cleanup!

Last edited:

ozbeachmom

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2007
Kansas/miramar beach
What ever happened to bringing a beach towel,sunscreen and a drink? We go to the beach to play in the water not set up a small apartment! When we get out, we can sit down on the towels and enjoy the beach, no need for all of that other stuff.

People have become self centered and not respectful of what Mother Nature and the Big Guy has provided us.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
What ever happened to bringing a beach towel,sunscreen and a drink? We go to the beach to play in the water not set up a small apartment! When we get out, we can sit down on the towels and enjoy the beach, no need for all of that other stuff.

People have become self centered and not respectful of what Mother Nature and the Big Guy has provided us.

Skin cancer happened, and lightweight beach chairs were invented, and kids with ADD seem to need many toys, or so their parents believe.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal

Keep talking like that and they'll take away your Sam's card and right to own an SUV w/ a rooftop carrier and trailer! ;-)

People just seem to need stuff, stuff, and more stuff! This weekend I looked at the rumbling dark clouds, then around at my fellow beach goers and determined I was the only person who could actually leave the beach w/ all my belongings if a storm hit.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I looked at the rumbling dark clouds, then around at my fellow beach goers and determined I was the only person who could actually leave the beach w/ all my belongings if a storm hit.
Afternoon storms will appear without notice, and I've seen many umbrellas go flying into Western Lake and the dunes, without any owner appearing to be present.

Poodleone

Beach Fanatic
Jun 27, 2006
Kerens, Texas
Haven't been to Grayton in two years because of other trips but plan to come back next June. It sounds less and less inviting and perhaps next year will be our last trip.
I'm confused about the beach. Is it to be admired from a distance only? Should the accessible beaches be kept for photo opportunities? I remember reading about the tents and understand that the turtle people want things off the beach at night. We can do that. We thought it was great back then to be able to leave your stuff on the beach without anyone bothering it, but if there are issues with that - we stopped that.
We love coming to a beach. Living in the Ohio Valley, there are few spots that draw you to the outside the way the beach area does. We love our beach trips for R&R.
We'll probably not fool with a tent anymore but bring an umbrella - we want to be able to stay out there as much as possible. The water is so wonderful to look at and quite frankly the water at Grayton has been a challenge - pretty to look at....sea weed/algae, whatever, was the challenge, then jellyfish, then DEADLY rip currents, now sharks...
I can't remember, but I guess Captain Sam(?) has the beach rental service. Maybe we will do that to support the local economy. Is that alright with everyone if we rent those all week and they stay in their place from morning until afternoon?
I am going to put on my calendar to remind me to rent 'our' spot after Christmas for June. See ya...

This sort of touches on an issue that we faced last year. We had always stayed at Henderson Park Inn where beach service people pick up the umbrellas at night. When we decided to try Blue Mountain, I contacted a beach umbrella service. They delivered the chairs and umbrellas but left them the entire week. This year, I plan to take them in each evening rather than leaving them out. It is a little frustrating to be a visitor and not know exactly how to handle these kinds of things. However, I would think common sense might dictate NOT having 4 tents linked together, at the water's edge, trying to "save a space" like kids in school. We come in September to try to avoid much of this kind of thing but can only imagine from the pictures on the beach cam at Blue Mtn. what kind of craziness goes on every day.

cpete

Beach Lover
May 3, 2005
Austin, Tx
Man, all the talk about the crowded beaches makes me wonder if we were actually at the same stretch of beach the week of the fourth. I counted 11 umbrellas the third of July. Just a hint, somewhere between Santa Rosa and Rosemary. I was pleasantly surprised actually.

:cool: :cool: