• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

grace

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2007
here & now
We thought it was a water moccasin. For some reason we didn't stick around too long to closely examine it after realizing that "floating log/piling" was really a snake swimming! :yikes:
Definetly sounds like we've got another Oyster Lake serpent on our hands.:shock:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
:wave: ..Hello, I'm BAAAACK!!! Just looked at the BMB webcam...so close to perfect!!! Can anyone tell what that one thing is close to the water's edge? Oh, I can also see a bit of a chair to the left, too...just in case they don't think I am watching. ;-)

Poodleone

Beach Fanatic
Jun 27, 2006
Kerens, Texas
:wave: ..Hello, I'm BAAAACK!!! Just looked at the BMB webcam...so close to perfect!!! Can anyone tell what that one thing is close to the water's edge? Oh, I can also see a bit of a chair to the left, too...just in case they don't think I am watching. ;-)

Miss Kitty- in 27 days I will be there at BMB and, each time I pass the beach cam, will wave at you! We will be vigilant about not leaving our rental chairs out.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Miss Kitty- in 27 days I will be there at BMB and, each time I pass the beach cam, will wave at you! We will be vigilant about not leaving our rental chairs out.

I knew I liked you... in addition to being a Texan, you love and protect sowal. :wave: Have the bestest time!!!
You might kick any tents you see that are left up. :D

Caroling

Beach Fanatic
Here's an email I just sent to the TDC contact:
tlouthain@beachesofsouthwalton.com

I'm interested in clean healthy beaches. I took video the first four days of tagging and removal in Zone 7. In my video on this page:
http://www.wholeo.net/Trips/Travel/Florida/southWalton/removeOrLose/removeOrLose.htm

(Click one of the movie links),
I show a kayak by a trash bag. Not tagged, not removed, not lost.

Now Sugar Dunes claims that they were told items were OK by a bag on private property, as long as they weren't touching the bag.
A TDC driver confirms he picks up violations on public, but not private property.

I looked again at the rule here
http://www.beachesofsouthwalton.com/viewpressrelease.asp?ID=370
under Media Relations, 7/26/2007.

It says:

Articles that are stored adjacent to or underneath personal walkovers will not be removed unless there is TDC maintained trash receptacle at that location. Any personal items left near county walkovers or adjacent to any of the 400 trash receptacles maintained by the Beaches of South Walton Tourist Development Council (TDC) will be removed without being tagged.

At the moment I don't have the reference that said it, but I understand that items should be 10 feet away from a trash bag.

Since the rule as stated is not being enforced, that weakens the whole effort to educate the public. They are just getting more of the same treatment that has led to the current mess on the beach. The county says one thing and doesn't enforce it. I believe you should publish the rules as enforced, with no deviation.

Caroling

Beach Fanatic
The TDC answered, announcing "Remove it or Lose it" phase II.

"The county is now adopting a more stringent "Remove It or Lose It" program because residents and vendors are finding ways to circumvent the system.

Now any personal items left on the county?s public beach areas including the six regional beach accesses, including Inlet Beach, Santa Clara, Gulfview Heights, Ed Walline, Dune Allen and Miramar as well as Grayton Beach overnight will be removed without being tagged. Other items subject to removal without being tagged include:

- Items left near county walkovers or adjacent to any of the 400 trash receptacles maintained by the Beaches of South Walton Tourist Development Council (TDC) will be removed and discarded without being tagged (whether on public or private property).

- Vendor items left overnight will also be removed and discarded without being tagged."

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
The TDC answered, announcing "Remove it or Lose it" phase II.

"The county is now adopting a more stringent "Remove It or Lose It" program because residents and vendors are finding ways to circumvent the system.

Now any personal items left on the county?s public beach areas including the six regional beach accesses, including Inlet Beach, Santa Clara, Gulfview Heights, Ed Walline, Dune Allen and Miramar as well as Grayton Beach overnight will be removed without being tagged. Other items subject to removal without being tagged include:

- Items left near county walkovers or adjacent to any of the 400 trash receptacles maintained by the Beaches of South Walton Tourist Development Council (TDC) will be removed and discarded without being tagged (whether on public or private property).

- Vendor items left overnight will also be removed and discarded without being tagged."

Interesting. Hope this is really happening. Down here at Ramsgate, it doesn't look that way yet.

At Ramsgate yesterday morning, there was more stuff than I've ever seen there, and more elaborate structures. One tent must have been 20x20. Not a tag in sight. Just a lot of early birds stumbling around with coffee to try to set up in the few remaining spaces.

And everyone's setting up just on the water's edge. It's not very pleasant to walk along the beach with them so close. But more important than that, they've crowded out all the shore birds. I haven't seen one since early spring. They were pretty tolerant of the people back when most people set up 20 to 30 feet back.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
Interesting again...

I just got back from my daily beach trek.

It seems that some of the chair vendors are clued in to Phase 2. Every chair and tent from Beach Chairs 4 U was removed, folded, and stacked near a private walkover. Thank you, sir. :wave:

But the private tents, chairs, ice chests, and yes-garbage were all still in place.