• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

full time

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2006
No Gay, it wasn't the wrong thread. It was apparent to me that no one posting (until 00Seer) had taken the time to read the article (which was probably one of the few examples of investigative reporting I've seen in Panama City). The importance of the article was not Disney, but that something looks to be in the works on the Northern Trust property. You don't meet privately with all Commissioners unless you are lining up political support for something substantial.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
No Gay, it wasn't the wrong thread. It was apparent to me that no one posting (until 00Seer) had taken the time to read the article (which was probably one of the few examples of investigative reporting I've seen in Panama City). The importance of the article was not Disney, but that something looks to be in the works on the Northern Trust property. You don't meet privately with all Commissioners unless you are lining up political support for something substantial.

I don't think it was apparent at all that we had not read the article, I read it all. But the title of this thread is "Disney Whirled" so therefore we were discussing the prospect of "Disney" being interested in the land not someone else.

If the thread had been, Northern Trust Property Speculation, then the answers would have reflected the title.

And Disney might very well be talking to them and even so everyone is entitled to speculate as to what that talk might involve. For me I don't see it being another theme park, and that is based on having friends at Disney on the Vice President level. I do however know that intend to expand their DVC interest.

However Disney has met many times behind closed doors with other areas and nothing became of it, the Virginia area being an example.

Last edited:

full time

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2006
The thread title was the title of the newspaper article. Should have put it in quotes - sorry to confuse you.

00seer00

Beach Lover
Oct 12, 2006
PCB
No Gay, it wasn't the wrong thread. It was apparent to me that no one posting (until 00Seer) had taken the time to read the article (which was probably one of the few examples of investigative reporting I've seen in Panama City). The importance of the article was not Disney, but that something looks to be in the works on the Northern Trust property. You don't meet privately with all Commissioners unless you are lining up political support for something substantial.[/quot

Someone mention to me referring to the Sunshine law witch allows you to meet with the Commissioners 1 at a time and the information could remain private. If you meet with them all at once it would have to be open to the public. I am not sure how this works but I?m sure Mr. Shelly will chime in soon. This is a ruff map of Washington and Bay County, it shows the 55,000 acres owned by the Knight family

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Sorry, the over whelming majority of the article seemed to be about rumors of a theme park in our neck of the woods. Quite frankly I don't think they are up to anything shady. If they were there would be no mention of meetings period. I also don't find it odd that a family who owns newpapers (generally printed on paper) also own large amounts of timber land located near, what used to be, a major paper mill. Maybe they are in talks to donate the land to the county and want to make sure the county wants to take on the responsibility? Could it be concern over land use changes? Washington County is also desperate for economic development and being that the land is so close to the new airport that could be an issue at hand. I realize that the conspiracy theorists out there want to go with the "shady good ole boys are screwing us", but has anyone considered that someone could be doing good or even considering it and just doesn't want to disappoint the public should it not go thru?

full time

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2006
Here we have 55,000 acres being discussed in private for development in Washington County - about 30 minutes from 30-A This board has 14 responses and one that is remotely useful. Let me see if I can help get the real estate discussion going - how bout dem turtle eggs?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
:dunno: Maybe no ones overly concerned since this is SoWal.com. Try SoWash.com for more spirited reaction.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Someone mention to me referring to the Sunshine law witch allows you to meet with the Commissioners 1 at a time and the information could remain private. If you meet with them all at once it would have to be open to the public. I am not sure how this works but I’m sure Mr. Shelly will chime in soon. This is a ruff map of Washington and Bay County, it shows the 55,000 acres owned by the Knight family

I'm not Mr. SHELLY, but I do know that in the state of Florida anytime two commissioners get together to discuss public business it is considered a public meeting and thus must be open to anyone. I am not sure but I would think such a meeting would have to be scheduled and on the official schedule. Meetings with individual commissioners do not have to be open to the public; however if two commissioners correspond by letter or email regarding their meetings with said individual, that correspondence is public and should be easily obtainable. In fact, any correspondence relating to matters of public interest are considered public record. The story was well done and I hope the News Herald continues pursuing this. Where there is smoke there is fire. :popcorn:

:dunno: Maybe no ones overly concerned since this is SoWal.com. Try SoWash.com for more spirited reaction.

As an east ender who comes from Tampa, I pass through this area every time I come to SoWal. A large development or theme park would indeed affect us. Full time was right to post this here. Thanks for the link! :clap:

Last edited:

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Sorry, the over whelming majority of the article seemed to be about rumors of a theme park in our neck of the woods. Quite frankly I don't think they are up to anything shady. If they were there would be no mention of meetings period. I also don't find it odd that a family who owns newpapers (generally printed on paper) also own large amounts of timber land located near, what used to be, a major paper mill. Maybe they are in talks to donate the land to the county and want to make sure the county wants to take on the responsibility? Could it be concern over land use changes? Washington County is also desperate for economic development and being that the land is so close to the new airport that could be an issue at hand. I realize that the conspiracy theorists out there want to go with the "shady good ole boys are screwing us", but has anyone considered that someone could be doing good or even considering it and just doesn't want to disappoint the public should it not go thru?

A nice thought but unrealistic. Down here our fine local paper just broke the story that the Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays have been meeting for months privately with city officials in St. Petersburg regarding a new stadium. They found ways to get around the laws regarding this, and it has :pissed: a lot of people off.

The Sunshine laws are in place for a reason, and anytime someone is working around them ... time to pay attention. Nice job News Herald; this is the kind of oversight the area desperately needs.

Last edited:

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Here we have 55,000 acres being discussed in private for development in Washington County - about 30 minutes from 30-A This board has 14 responses and one that is remotely useful. Let me see if I can help get the real estate discussion going - how bout dem turtle eggs?
What info would you like me to create for you?