• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Kudos to the Commissioners for passing the whole county height ordinance, which I hope becomes permanent! :clap:

Just so that people don't misunderstand the height ordinance for SoWal, it is not permanent, even though it doesn't have a time limit like the ordinance for the remainder of the County. It can be changed overnight, if the BCC votes to remove the ordinance. Don't sit so contently.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

As for the height limit, what is the difference between 50 feet and 200 feet if you are standing at the base trying to see what is on the other side?
Not much difference there, but that is not the reason for the height ordinance. The difference in your question is addressed in other County Codes regarding width of buildings as percentage of width of property. ;-)

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Not much difference there, but that is not the reason for the height ordinance. The difference in your question is addressed in other County Codes regarding width of buildings as percentage of width of property. ;-)

Seems like they have a code for everything. Those buildings on Scenic Gulf Drive at Frangista Beach must of been grandfathered in. Like driving in a canyon.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Canyons are much more beautiful than that crap. However, some of our country's most beautiful canyons are dammed, filled them with water so that people can have power in the desserts and playgrounds for big boy water toys.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Regarding height limitations...perhaps I'm missing something. Cindy Meadows represents "our" neck of the woods. Why would she be supportive of increased building heights anywhere and the others against it?

If some of you think that it won't ever change south of 30A, well I believe SJ is correct when he said, "....It can be changed overnight, if the BCC votes to remove the ordinance. Don't sit so contently."

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Amen to that. Now if we could just get "public" use of the beach from our variou "public" accesses we will be just fine. And by the way for those interested (BMBV) I am not for anyone using private accesses to reach the beach. Once there, though, as long as the public uses the beach responsibly, they should be allowed to do so ANYWHERE below the toe of the dune. I hope this year the Florida Supreme Court decides to do as Hawaii and Oregon have and that is to make the beaches "public".

Andy A, we've acknowledged each other's position in the past. I have no problem with your opinion regarding public vs. private beach. I just simply don't agree.

Again, the location of your property gives you the luxury of wanting to convert all private beach to public. The public would have to walk over 1000 feet to access your part of the beach. Pretty damn good deterrent for overcrowding. Just a hop, skip and a jump, and they are on our property.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Just so that people don't misunderstand the height ordinance for SoWal, it is not permanent, even though it doesn't have a time limit like the ordinance for the remainder of the County. It can be changed overnight, if the BCC votes to remove the ordinance. Don't sit so contently.

Yes, but IMO an all county ordinance, even a temporary one, is a step in the right direction. All laws/regulations can be repealed/changed, but it's easier to change a south of the bay ordinance than a south of the bay ordinance recently extended to cover an entire county.

Quote: "I have suggested to one of the commissioners that they have the GIS department that we fund, create a map of what beach accesses and lands near the gulf are currently public for use and such. So far, not a whole lot of luck, I guess some people really do not want to know."

The county commissioners know the EXACT location, legal description, and even have pics of EVERY public access in the county. It fills 2 binders that are 3" or so thick!

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB
Regarding height limitations...perhaps I'm missing something. Cindy Meadows represents "our" neck of the woods. Why would she be supportive of increased building heights anywhere and the others against it?

Maybe she is against sprawl?

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator

I'm confused here also, though I do see the sprawl potential also. I think the 50' ordinance is a good one, and one that should stay. With our white sand, and other marketable attributes, 50' feet keeps us pretty unique. I would hate to see our beachfront(or off beachfront) look like our neighbors to the east and west. Besides the extreme eyesore, I can't image where the cars would go, or the people. And it's not just immediately east or west, it's pretty much the entire coastline of FLA. Perdido key is the most striking offender(to me)

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

Maybe she is against sprawl?
That is the reason she stated at a recent BCC meeting.

It doesn't matter if an ordinance is County wide or limited area. The BCC can take a simple vote and end it all very quickly. There are plenty of BCC meetings with few people in attendance, and I urge all of you to attend the meetings, regularly, and not only for one or two items on the agenda, which is the typical interest of the public.

Last edited: