• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Waiting For

Beach Comber
Dec 10, 2007
Anyone else find Susan Vallee's editorial in the Seaside Times, about the unfriendliness by owners there, including the sign wars in that bucolic setting, of merit? Seems Walton Sun and NW Fla Daily News are writing about some of it...but Susan really "told it like it is". Apparently there are a few Seagrove emails circulating telling recent "war stories" about verbal attacks by Seaside owners, including threats to call "security" if they didn't leave the "private" pavilions and streets immediately!

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
It doesnt surprise me at all. And I think she is telling it like it is. There will be no more of the bus tours of people to admire the architecture, shop, dine etc. There will be no more people driving out from PC or Destin to shop and dine there and before you know it there will be houses where Perspicasity, Bud and Alleys and all the other beach side businesses are. And you only have the narcissistic new home owners in the area to blame. They paid good money and will defend this little piece of paradises privacy until they (or it) are dead.

Wow. I had heard that high-rise commercial buildings were going to replace Bud & Alley's, Perspicasity, and the entire beachside commercial area where B&A et. al. now exist. It would take some deep pockets to replace all of that with private residences. However, from what I've seen, the deep pockets get deeper, and everyone else is struggling.;-)

Aug 30, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun
It doesnt surprise me at all. And I think she is telling it like it is. There will be no more of the bus tours of people to admire the architecture, shop, dine etc. There will be no more people driving out from PC or Destin to shop and dine there and before you know it there will be houses where Perspicasity, Bud and Alleys and all the other beach side businesses are. And you only have the narcissistic new home owners in the area to blame. They paid good money and will defend this little piece of paradises privacy until they (or it) are dead.

Shazam!

Waiting For

Beach Comber
Dec 10, 2007
Recently I did a search on "downtown Seaside" and googled terms like that...what the search produced was eye-opening: Not high rises...but high quality architecture. Actually that rumor is really off the mark...the downtown is planned and was announced here in detail...http://www.newurbannews.com/SeasideMar05.html

That tower part is all that'll be high...and it will be a breathtakingly beautiful work of art set in scale, as these pictures show, to very low profile structures keeping the view to the Gulf open.

(see http://www.opticosdesign.com/projects/bd_setower_fd.html)

After reading these details, I think it clearly will beautify and enhance our 30 A corridor..

if in the meantime the very small cadre of xenophobic vigilantes policing Seaside's homeowner streets don't drive everyone away...

But...even if the few homeowner bullies behind the sign wars continue their "exclusive for me" biz, the downtown will remain and be public place...Seaside's founder owns the downtown and has publically dedicated himself to make it become consistent with the vision he had/has of community and connection he started nearly 30 years ago when some of us in Seagrove first met him....

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Thank you for that insightful post Waiting.. I am glad to see that they will be featuring L.Krier works there.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
They can say that the "downtown" Seaside will remain public, but as parking gets even tighter, and beach accesses are cut off, the public will quickly stop shopping in the public stores, and stop dining in the restaurants.

I didn't read the article about the sign wars, but know that Seaside had a run in with the SWFD over the posts in the middle of the roads off of 30A, and the SWFD won that battle. It seems that Seaside didn't want the firetrucks to be able to access the private streets in order for them to put out a fire. They also made Seaside remove the temporary marquees at each of those roads, which stated, "Private, residents only."

Oh, Snap!

JUL

Beach Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
Madison, Alabama
Seaside has alway's felt like a Disney set to me...kind of forced and unnatural...now I know it is...those people are GOOFY....not letting firetrucks in....what will happen when the public servants decide to take their time...to get to where they are not well received.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I read Susan's article about the signs and glad she addressed this because, to me, Seaside has always been very open to the public and I hope it stays this way. We have enjoyed visiting the town of Seaside for many years and have never felt excluded in any way. Its kind of a mini vacation for us to drive 4 minutes from Pt Washington/bay area to the town and just stroll, shop, eat ice cream, walk on the beach, enjoy the concerts, etc.

I think what Susan is mainly referring to are signs along the back part of seaside where locals cut through from seagrove - we aren't suppose to be driving through the residence area, but always do.

I haven't heard about anyone being told to leave the pavillion or beach areas - I hope this isn't a problem.

Thank you Susan for bringing this up before it does become a problem for Seaside. We love Seaside - it's the only resort town on 30A that really opens up for the entire community.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
Going one way...

OntheBorder2.JPG