• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Not one of you supports the elimination of SOH. It's bad law, because it benefits an entitled class. All of this back and forth on voting no or yes is window dressing hiding your own greed.

Elimination of SOH is not on the table. I would be very surprised for that to get anywhere. It is just too difficult to trust elected officials to control their access to the public treasury.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Yes it's not on the table for the reasons stated. The Pols are trying to pander to everyone, and fix nothing at the same time. The obvious fix will not be considered, and that is the recognition that SOH has created a complicated, protracted public debate pitting those who needlessly bear the tax burden for others against those who escape that burden. A child could remedy this.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Yes it's not on the table for the reasons stated. The Pols are trying to pander to everyone, and fix nothing at the same time. The obvious fix will not be considered, and that is the recognition that SOH has created a complicated, protracted public debate pitting those who needlessly bear the tax burden for others against those who escape that burden. A child could remedy this.

Look Bob there are a lot of problems in this world that could be easily solved. And yes the removal of SOH would make things equitable and would get people more involved because their taxes would more than likely increase on a regular basis. I am all for each of these.

But it ain't gonna happen. So instead of discussing the solution to high taxes that is not going to even be presented. Why not place our energy toward coming up with something that we may get passed. The amendment does exacerbate the problem by allowing people to keep SOH. The amendment does include a 10% cap on non-homesteaded property. Not perfect, but it is scaring the heck out of local officials who have built communities in Florida on the backs of vacation homeowners. This amendment helps to curtail that and is a step, albeit a minor step, but a step in trying to get this under control.

Right or wrong if it fails, you can look to politicians standing in front of cameras saying that they tried but obviously the people do not want to do anything. And if anything else is tried you will see the unions stepping up and asking when are we going to stop pandering to the 2nd homeowners and get to the business of finding ways to generate more revenue for education, firefighters, and policeman, we tried this once and the public said no so why are we wasting our time? Basically, when this fails, you can pretty much hang up any chance of any tax relief of any sort occurring in this State anytime soon.

I to hope the taxation commission fixes some of the massive loopholes in, if nothing else, the sales tax laws. Having to pay taxes on seats to a ball game while skyboxes are sales tax exempt is just plain stupid, imho.

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
Speaking of effed up sales tax when I am in Destin and by a newspaper I am charged sales tax. I don't know if it happens all the time I just notice sometimes. Isn't that unconstitutional or something? Interfering with freedom of the press like having a poll tax etc...

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Speaking of effed up sales tax when I am in Destin and by a newspaper I am charged sales tax. I don't know if it happens all the time I just notice sometimes. Isn't that unconstitutional or something? Interfering with freedom of the press like having a poll tax etc...

I have noticed that also. Sometimes I have to pay tax, sometimes not. One place only charges me tax if I buy two newspapers at the same time. I thought they were exempt, but that may have been one that was repealed. Now Ostrich feed is exempt. Imagine that.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
You seem to have more of a problem with how the money was raised by Crist to try to pass the amendment than anything else. I do not see how that matters. It is not like the amendment will only benefit Trump. And they are friends so not sure why the big deal.

Charlie can cozy up to 'The Donald' all he wants during his freetime....I couldn't care less. I just find it oddly disturbing as to why our governor has to travel to New York City to drum up support and beg for cash for an amendment that he claims is what the citizens of Florida are begging for.

Even on Charlie's Amendment 1 Roadshow-swing through his state (that's Florida, by the way), he's having to bus in a rent-a-crowd of Realtors. The whole thing just stinks out loud and my BS sign is flashing yellow.

Last edited:

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Look Bob there are a lot of problems in this world that could be easily solved. And yes the removal of SOH would make things equitable and would get people more involved because their taxes would more than likely increase on a regular basis. I am all for each of these.

But it ain't gonna happen. So instead of discussing the solution to high taxes that is not going to even be presented. Why not place our energy toward coming up with something that we may get passed. The amendment does exacerbate the problem by allowing people to keep SOH. The amendment does include a 10% cap on non-homesteaded property. Not perfect, but it is scaring the heck out of local officials who have built communities in Florida on the backs of vacation homeowners. This amendment helps to curtail that and is a step, albeit a minor step, but a step in trying to get this under control.

Right or wrong if it fails, you can look to politicians standing in front of cameras saying that they tried but obviously the people do not want to do anything. And if anything else is tried you will see the unions stepping up and asking when are we going to stop pandering to the 2nd homeowners and get to the business of finding ways to generate more revenue for education, firefighters, and policeman, we tried this once and the public said no so why are we wasting our time? Basically, when this fails, you can pretty much hang up any chance of any tax relief of any sort occurring in this State anytime soon.

I to hope the taxation commission fixes some of the massive loopholes in, if nothing else, the sales tax laws. Having to pay taxes on seats to a ball game while skyboxes are sales tax exempt is just plain stupid, imho.
I can't find too many neighbors who are voting in favor of this. It will be interesting to see if it can clear the 60 percent hurdle.