• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
Re: Seaside - NOT Welcome:Redux

One of the greatest pleasures of Seaside is strolling around. How could you think that no one but a resident needs to do that?

Cars, no reason for extra cars to be on the narrow residential streets, I have been over there several times this week on foot, never, ever has anyone been anything but extra nice.

Last edited:

Sheila

SoWal Insider

One of the greatest pleasures of Seaside is strolling around. How could you think that no one but a resident needs to do that?

Cars, no reason for extra cars to be on the narrow residential streets, I have been over there several times this week on foot, never, ever had anyone be anything but extra nice.

Thanks for the clarification on your original post. As Mermaid stated, I too love to stroll through Seaside. It certainly does stand to reason that extra cars might create a traffic jam during peak seasons.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

I read Robert Davis' recent comments in the Seaside Times. I wish there was a way to easily post them. I applaud Robert for speaking up on the issue of the oxymoron, "private community."

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005

I think the Editor of the Seaside Times is a member here; or used to be. Perhaps she can provide a link or something.

I was really happy to read Robert Davis' op ed piece...glad to know he is not part of the private community/private beach group.

Still wondering, though, who is behind it? Perhaps as someone posted, the new rental company and a few disgruntled owners....sad.:cry:

Sandcastle

Beach Fanatic
Jan 6, 2006
Tallahassee, Florida

Still wondering, though, who is behind it? Perhaps as someone posted, the new rental company and a few disgruntled owners....sad.:cry:

I doubt that this has anything to do with the new rental company. My understanding is that it started with two disgruntled owners on Tupelo Street who had a lot of time on their hands. Then it spread to other areas of Seaside.

My guess is that most Seaside owners don?t have time to worry about signs and the squeaky wheels got their way.

Are the streets in Seaside maintained by the county or by the Seaside owners? In our neighborhood we pay for maintainance of our private road, so we want to minimize traffic on it because the more traffic there is, the more our maintainance costs are.

Are the walkovers built and maintained by the county or the Seaside owners? Again, in our neighborhood we pay for our walkover, so we don't want people who are not owners or our guests using it. Not to mention the fact that when people park on our street to use our walkover, they turn our street into essentially a one-way street, making it difficult for owners and our renters to navigate the street. Our covenants require that we have enough off-street parking to accommodate the vehicles for all owners/renters staying at each residence, so we don't need to park on the street.

Another phenomenon that is happening in our neighborhood and many other beachfront neighborhoods is that a large group rents one of the houses in our neighborhood (all of which are very close to the beach) plus they rent several inexpensive places elsewhere because the houses don't sleep a group that large. The group all congregates during the daytime in our neighborhood so they can be a few steps from the beach, taking up the parking on our street and sometimes even blocking our driveways so we can't access our own off-street parking. There might be 25 or more people at one house during the day. Not sure what we can do about that. And BTW they always leave their junk on the beach when they check out that we have to clean up.

So I can somewhat relate to the problem of the Seaside owners. Seaside has so many people not staying there who are visiting the shops and restaurants. That's a good thing, but parking is almost impossible in the summer. I see people parking on the residential streets in Seaside and then getting out of their cars and walking to Quincy Circle. I have often thought how annoying it would be to pay a lot of money either as an owner or a renter and not be able to park in the assigned parking for my cottage or not having any parking available if guests stopped by to visit.

Maybe Seaside needs more public parking places? I'm not sure where they'd put them, though.

And I'm with Mermy -- I love strolling through Seaside, Rosemary, and other neighborhoods along 30-A. But we do it on foot or on our bicycles.

Waiting For

Beach Comber
Dec 10, 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwitch58

I doubt that this has anything to do with the new rental company. My understanding is that it started with two disgruntled owners on Tupelo Street who had a lot of time on their hands. Then it spread to other areas of Seaside.

My guess is that most Seaside owners don’t have time to worry about signs and the squeaky wheels got their way.
I asked a friend from Savannah Street and immediately she said there was no doubt they were the same three ring leaders, who got themselves, through proxy tactics, to be on the Seaside Tupelo Association board: She said the same three were behind the cat killing spree and destruction of the Whisker's Friends program run by Janet Evans

jpbhen

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2005
Seagrove/Cincinnati

Quote:she said there was no doubt they were the same three ring leaders, who got themselves, through proxy tactics, to be on the Seaside Tupelo Association board: She said the same three were behind the cat killing spree and destruction of the Whisker's Friends program run by Janet Evans[/B]

cat killing spree? destruction of Whisker's Friends???? what is wrong with the rest of the Seaside residents? do they condone this behavior???? this is just SICK.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwitch58

My guess is that most Seaside owners don?t have time to worry about signs and the squeaky wheels got their way.
I asked a friend from Savannah Street and immediately she said there was no doubt they were the same three ring leaders, who got themselves, through proxy tactics, to be on the Seaside Tupelo Association board: She said the same three were behind the cat killing spree and destruction of the Whisker's Friends program run by Janet Evans

I edited out the names you posted. I don't think hearsay is good enough to back up such accusations.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I agree Kurt. When I asked the question, I did not expect specific names. It seems to me that something as big as those private beach signs would have to be condoned and permitted by some organization at Seaside...just three individuals seems questionable to me.

Is there not a Homeowners Association? Or, a business association or some legal entitiy that governs what is allowed in Seaside? There certainly are those kind of associations all over the place in Sowal

After reading Robert Davis' Op Ed piece, I just found it strange that the founder of the community disagreed with the attitude of private, and yet the signs, and the overriding attitude, are being allowed anyway.

I did not know that Whiskers' Friends had been disbanded. that is really sad.