• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Will the TDC ever publish a comprehensive map showing which beaches are public vs. private (in addition to the accesses)?

On their website they finally acknowledged that there are private beaches last year. Wouldn't it be responsible to our 2008 tourists by showing that some of the public accesses are completely surrounded by private beach?

Let's not repeat the summer of 2007.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Re: Public Beach & Bay Accesses - list and map

BMBV, I thought you have been saying that the Courts are the ones who will have to decide whether the public can use the privately deeded beach. Now you want the TDC to make that determination.

John R, you will note that those two sites mentioned are not current accesses, but ones in the works. The TDC wants to build those accesses. I understood that both would already be in the works if we didn't have any storms in 2006 which would wash away the beach walkovers. I guess they decided to spend the money on the big blue signs, instead.

By the way, the ramp at the end of Mitchell, which was east of Punzy's former place, is a private parcel, and now filled in with sand and a bulkhead. The actual deeded access is to the west of your former place, across the street from Pat.

Last edited:

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005

BMBV, I thought you have been saying that the Courts are the ones who will have to decide whether the public can use the privately deeded beach. Now you want the TDC to make that determination.

Smiling Joe, in the meantime there are undeniably private beaches out there. There is no doubt; there are no shades of gray (as much as you try to portray as such). There are public accesses and private accesses as the TDC documents. Why stop there and not document the public and private beaches?

There is a court case out there that we all know about regarding beach nourishment.

Two things have to happen for the private beaches to become public:

1. The state supreme court has to rule in favor of Walton County.

AND

2. Nourishment must take place that extends the property beyond the established erosion control line.

Until BOTH items occur, innocent tourists will get arrested if people like you contnue to insist and encourage that the county stick their head in the sand and just "wish" the propblem will go away.

The law is clear and until any case is decided, the law will be enforced where needed.

You can can philosophically disagree with any of my positions. I fully expect that. However don't make the unknowing tourists pay for your ideology.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com

Smiling Joe, in the meantime there are undeniably private beaches out there. There is no doubt; there are no shades of gray (as much as you try to portray as such).

And let us not forget that a disturbing majority that post on this forum think it is okay for the government to come onto that private property and "take" things that they find objectionable.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

You can can philosophically disagree with any of my positions. I fully expect that. However don't make the unknowing tourists pay for your ideology.

Please show me an example of my post where I have encouraged tourists to pay for my ideology. If anything, I have warned people of the possible arrests for sitting quietly on the beach.

You are right in that I do disagree with most of your statements. I do recognize that deeded property exists on the beach. What I have been telling you is that having a deed for property does not convey complete rights to the property.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com

Please show me an example of my post where I have encouraged tourists to pay for my ideology. If anything, I have warned people of the possible arrests for sitting quietly on the beach.

You are right in that I do disagree with most of your statements. I do recognize that deeded property exists on the beach. What I have been telling you is that having a deed for property does not convey complete rights to the property.

That may have been me he was thinking of. I have said it a million times.... Owning the beach is like trying to own the sky (Thanks Dave R). Florida's economy is based on tourism dollars and use of the beaches. I feel strongly that the "Supreme Court" will rule in favor of tourism dollars. It is really a "customary use" issue and many of us have been using the beaches of SoWal uninterrupted for years. The funny thing is, the areas that many are upset over are the areas we have been using the most. Especially Blue Mountain!
This is not a taking, this is a "customary use" issue. The law is not really clear BMBV. We have been and will continue to use the beaches as we always have. That is as clear as it gets.

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB

Will the TDC ever publish a comprehensive map showing which beaches are public vs. private (in addition to the accesses)?

On their website they finally acknowledged that there are private beaches last year. Wouldn't it be responsible to our 2008 tourists by showing that some of the public accesses are completely surrounded by private beach?

Let's not repeat the summer of 2007.

Last year, Com. Meadows informed me that it was being worked on and would hopefully be ready by this tourist season. I'm wondering how it will be physically delineated on the beach. Landscape paint?

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005

Last year, Com. Meadows informed me that it was being worked on and would hopefully be ready by this tourist season. I'm wondering how it will be physically delineated on the beach. Landscape paint?
Thanks for the update.

Regarding delineation, I believe people like Smiling Joe and Bobby J are going to unduly antagonize the situation furthering the polarization of an already touchy issue.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005

That may have been me he was thinking of. I have said it a million times.... Owning the beach is like trying to own the sky (Thanks Dave R). Florida's economy is based on tourism dollars and use of the beaches. I feel strongly that the "Supreme Court" will rule in favor of tourism dollars. It is really a "customary use" issue and many of us have been using the beaches of SoWal uninterrupted for years. The funny thing is, the areas that many are upset over are the areas we have been using the most. Especially Blue Mountain!
This is not a taking, this is a "customary use" issue. The law is not really clear BMBV. We have been and will continue to use the beaches as we always have. That is as clear as it gets.
Bobby J, why must we rehash the same ole crap? Didn't we more or less agree to let this concept play out in the court system?

Many beaches are private. If you disagree, then you and Smiling Joe can bring suit to a beach front owner, prove your case and move on with your life. Until then, there are private beaches, period.

I jumped into this thread stating that TDC needs to inform the "public" that not all the "Beaches of South Walton" are currently public. I've made this same comment before somewhere in another thread. Nothing more, nothing less. Are you going to be there when the next tourist gets arrested for not understanding this situation [edit: and becoming beligerent as a reult of] and then tell the sheriff to their face that the "law is not clear" so they must set the tourist (trespasser) free?

Now that's a banner line....
"FREE THE TOURISTAS!!!!!".

Last edited: