• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
Seaside is a community. 30-A is a county road. The roads in Seaside are privately owned and maintained. It sure seems it places the business owners in a position. They need the traffic to survive, yet those that live there do not want the traffic. Competing interests, I guess.

I am starting to think that quite a few people in south Walton really want to live in a gated community, yet they want to do so without the costs, thus proactive government code enforcement. More and more several of you are starting to come off as isolationists to me.
Evidenced by posts in this thread? :dunno:

Goddessgal

Beach Lover
Mar 28, 2007
Florida!
Perhaps some of the problems with the lookie-loos (I love that term, BTW, Scooterbug!) is that there is not another alternative to enjoy the architecture and atmosphere. Seaside is very architecturally significant. I used to work in an architecture library and we had many slides of not only Seaside's public and private structures, but town-planning, etc. I wonder if paid outdoor walking tours (appropriate and well-done) could provide an outlet? Some of the neighborhood associations could get involved, and it would help pay in some small way for upkeep? I have enjoyed tours like this in Houston and Savannah. It gives lookie-loos positive direction, and residents a positive way to promote their community. Just a thought...

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I think they sometimes do walking tours as part of the Seaside Institute events, but I doubt that they would be willing to start frequent tours considering the current "anti-public" mindset. One guy has a fit if you take a picture of his house - even has a sign up, which is why I make sure to take a picture of it every time I am there w/ a camera! ;-)

Walking and biking are much easier ways to see the area IMO, especially since you can't see a lot from a car unless you're in a convertible.

Last edited:

Sandcastle

Beach Fanatic
Jan 6, 2006
Tallahassee, Florida
I think they sometimes do walking tours as part of the Seaside Institute events, but I doubt that they would be willing to start frequent tours considering the current "anti-public" mindset. One guy has a fit if you take a picture of his house - even has a sign up, which is why I make sure to take a picture of it every time I am there w/ a camera! ;-)

Walking and biking are much easier ways to see the area IMO, especially since you can't see a lot from a car unless you're in a convertible.

Guess what street he lives on.:D

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
What do they think they are accomplishing w/ the blank white folding signs?
Is the FD letting them do those because a truck can easily run them over in an emergency?

The stupid signs upped their traffic count - I turned in just to see what they said and was so annoyed I then took a scenic tour of Seaside!

Some of the folding signs are also located in line with the sidewalk. People have enough trouble w/ bikes w/out obstacles in the pathway! :bicycle:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I frequently visit and shop in seaside. we stroll around the neighborhood, play in the grass, have coffee, pick up dinner, load up on goodies from modica, and just play tourist enjoying the town. I am totally unaware of any signs or any person not welcoming our presence. maybe I choose not to notice. but I have never ever noticed anything that kept me from enjoying the town. (no doubt I just don't look for these things... I don't see them at all).

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
I've lived here for a year. I am always proud to take friends and family to Seaside and I really enjoy going there. I am bothered by the signs in theory but ignore them in practice...

But I am having a hard time with the security guards walking around in bright red bouncer polo shirts with SECURITY on the back and military/SWAT style fatigues and boots...

:roll:

IMHO- if they were truly and solely there to protect someone/something from someone else/something else then they would arguably be far more effective if they worked undercover...

They are there for show- as a deterrent. This might make sense in many places throughout the US (e.g. shopping malls, baseball parks, parades, etc.)...

BUT IN SEASIDE? C'mon...
:blink:

So ask the tough question-
What are they trying to deter?

Let's be honest here...
I believe they are trying to deter-

People from ignoring those signs. People from going down those streets. People from stepping on those beaches...

Go ahead. Set me straight...

G

Sandcastle

Beach Fanatic
Jan 6, 2006
Tallahassee, Florida
I noticed that the ?Private? signs on the beach at both ends of Seaside were gone last weekend. Also, there was a Walton County lifeguard stationed on the beach at the end of the public walkover between Seaside and Watercolor.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I noticed that the ?Private? signs on the beach at both ends of Seaside were gone last weekend. Also, there was a Walton County lifeguard stationed on the beach at the end of the public walkover between Seaside and Watercolor.

The lifeguard stand was coming. That is why they built the bathrooms and additional parking between Seaside and WC. Nothing like a life guard popping a squat in the dunes. :yikes:

The interesting part will be owners and (some) guests at Seaside and WC reactions to "the public" using the beach in that area.

As for the sandwich boards, aren't they on public property if they are south of the bike path? Doesn't that make them abandoned litter? :scratch: