• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
This is a serious question...

Do we all have to now mispronounce the word "the" when we refer to "the beach?" The voice pronounces it "thee." My grammar education taught me that "the" used before another word beginning with a consonant should be pronounced "thuh."

Am I correct? I think it would be weird for everyone to start mispronouncing the word because of a branding/marketing campaign.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
This is a serious question...

Do we all have to now mispronounce the word "the" when we refer to "the beach?" The voice pronounces it "thee." My grammar education taught me that "the" used before another word beginning with a consonant should be pronounced "thuh."

Am I correct? I think it would be weird for everyone to start mispronouncing the word because of a branding/marketing campaign.

I think if it is a vowel "sound" --- use thee.:dunno:

It is used in singing.

A "thee" sound before a consonant doesn't seem right.

I think if it is a vowel "sound" --- use thee.:dunno:

It is used in singing.

A "thee" sound before a consonant doesn't seem right.

And it may be engrained from my choral background. I just thought "Thee" beach sounded forced.

Last edited:
agree! And to me the whole thing sounds pretentious. (Heck even the voice in the clip annoyed me. )

I know, I was thinking to myself, "That's not the voice I hear when the beach talks to me." :lol:

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
I know, I was thinking to myself, "That's not the voice I hear when the beach talks to me." :lol:

That's the voice I hear in the cheesy introduction videos at conferences.

An interesting observation -- I know THE TM Beach is supposed to be everything from Port St. Joe to Fort Walton, but weren't the vast majority of those images from 30-A, Point Washington, and SoWal in general? I saw no rows of concrete high rises. How peeved would you be if you saw that video and booked a stay at The Commodore in PCB based on this promise of pristine beaches and quaint Southern charm?

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Or how disappointing if you booked in Destin expecting the superior beaches of South Walton. Emerald Coast was a fine description for the entire area from Pensacola to Apalachicola. Some new or confused folks must have thought it just referred to Okaloosa County, which it does not. There was absolutely no need to conjure up a new name for this fantastic Emerald Coast area of Florida. FYI -- for all you lurkers -- Don't be confused by erroneous naming of anything in South Walton as "Destin." Destin is in Okaloosa County. South Walton, and all its unique communities, is in Walton County. Trip Starter, or whatever it is called, is misleading. Beach TV also doesn't have its location facts correct in some cases. Although, it is doing better. The Weather Channel, finally, listed approaching storms in South Walton. More specific and correct identification is needed for visitor and resident safety. The generic "Beach" thing could even be considered dangerous to your health and safety.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
That sounded like a female version of Mr. Rogers. "Today we are going to THE TM Beach boy and girls. Can you say THE TM Beach?"