• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Good question, but it is different than paying for a festival ticket, where typically one can see 10-20 bands over a three day weekend, paying no more than $125 dollars for a ticket, which includes camping space. My last big festival was Bonaroo, and it was more like 30 excellent well-known bands, and I think my tickets were $100 ea. I probably spent at least twice that much on food and vending, which supplements the event's revenue, by charging vendors fees.

I think for an event like this to be successful, you must first get people to show up. Once you have the demand, you can charge admission, or raise the price until that demand tapers too much. I knew of two acts at this event, before I began to read about them. Start with lesser known NOLA artists, which don't require as much pay, and after your event is successful and in high demand, get a big draw band and charge some admission, but as pointed out, mom+pop+kid at Seaside Jazz Festival = $750. That dog don't hunt.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I was going to suggest a comparison of ticket prices for all the big events in the area. I don't think it should be free and I don't think people who are dropping thousands on lodging and hundreds on gas and food can claim poverty.

A ski trip is a "family" vacation and those average $70 per adult and $50 a kid per day for a lift ticket, then add lessons, food that costs the same as 30-A......

My partial list of possible comps:
Wine Fests - Seaside, Rosemary, Sandestin
Mountainfilm
Springfest (was in Pensacola and got canceled, but still)
Seabreeze Jazz Fest

One thing is that there weren't as many shows as the Seabreeze. I looked at the T-shirt and there were probably 5-6 times the number of acts.

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Forget the Jazzfest for a sec.

What do y'all think is a reasonable amount for locals to pay to see a national act at an outdoor venue in SoWal? Say a single act with an opening band.

Suppose it was well done with premium food and drink available for purchase.

$30
$50
$80
more?

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB

What do y'all think is a reasonable amount for locals to pay to see a national act at an outdoor venue in SoWal? Say a single act with an opening band.

$30
$50
$80
more?

It depends on the band for me. Spyrogyra I could do $50 ($100 for me and mine). At $30, a definite yes for most bands I like from radio and at $50 more consideration. Couldn't swing $80 each even for David Bowie! :eek:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Thanks! I don't do those high dollar stadium shows anymore. Especially when you get horrible nosebleed seats like I did for Bowie back in '88(?) at Tampa Stadium.

I'm thinking $40-$60 for a great act on 30A with a few thousand people. What do y'all think?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
For the right band, I'd pay $40 to see them. Personally, I really don't enjoy concerts so much anymore, and would rather buy a few of the band's CDs for similar price as one ticket. However, I am not likely the norm.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
$30 and below is an easy sell, $50-30 it really depends on the details/interests, $80 is a lot for a single performance IMO.

I'd actually prefer to have the option of bringing my own food/drink rather than buy "premium" stuff. I've yet to see premium as a description of anything but the price level even when some great restaurants are involved. :roll:

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
$30 and below is an easy sell, $50-30 it really depends on the details/interests, $80 is a lot for a single performance IMO.

I'd actually prefer to have the option of bringing my own food/drink rather than buy "premium" stuff. I've yet to see premium as a description of anything but the price level even when some great restaurants are involved. :roll:

What Scooterbug said...

Ditto

Watchman

Beach Comber
Apr 20, 2008
Pine Mt. Ga.
For the right band, I'd pay $40 to see them. Personally, I really don't enjoy concerts so much anymore, and would rather buy a few of the band's CDs for similar price as one ticket. However, I am not likely the norm.

I dont think you would pay at all Joe, You have to much fun lurking around and thinking you dont have to pay. All you like is being the dude on Sowal. I think you had more fun watching from Sundog and priding yourself in seeing it free.
:rotfl:

ameliaj

Beach Fanatic
Jun 19, 2007
SoSpal (figure it out)/Seacrest

$30
$50
$80
more?

There is a small amphitheater in a planned community near us that has a Spring/Summer concert series. This past season had Kansas, Huey Lewis, Kenny Rogers, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy's, and some others. We have been to see Foreigner, Styxx, & Three Dog Night. The concerts are all sold out and the expensive tables are mostly purchased by corporate sponsors. Everyone in this community pretty much rides their golf cart to the concert. (Yes you can get a GCUI). The series prices are copied from the web site:

Ticket Prices

Individual
Ind. Reserved $55.00
Ind. Lawn $32.00

Series Tickets (all 6 concerts)
Ind. Reserved $199.00 per person
Ind. Lawn $145.00 per person
Ind. Gold Seats (Fri) 239.00 per person
Gold Tables (Sat) $2500.00 per table
Picnic Tables (Fri & Sat) $1439.00 per table

Last edited: