• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

danna B

Beach Comber
May 6, 2008
mack bayou
His Name Is Gator!!!

We also saw the dog on the beach, but we decided that he was too old and very dehydrated, so rather than let someones faithful pet go to the Shelter or Animal control, we took him home. We bathed him, fed him, he slept at my feet and returned home to his owner this morning. He is a very sweet, very funny character. Who could let a dog go that swims with dolphins? And barks at them? He was a pleasure, glad we got to meet him. His owners take him kayaking, they left him home yesterday, he dug out and ran to the beach, PISSED! He wanted to go, so he went! People should really stop and think, wow, someones taught him and taken care of him for years, lets see where he belongs...that may be too human though right? May take someones time? Ill take the time, and I hope someone takes the time if our baby gets out, he is part of the family! Glad we got gator home!:D

Last edited:

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
Glad the muttley got home he is a cool dog. Put some tags on your baby and I'll take the time to notify you when he gets out and I find him. Same applies to Gator. Keep the pets from suffering for the owners' irresponsibility. I posted to let anyone know who might've been looking, for all I know he was some fisherman's dog running a bit loose. I am not a dognapper.

danna B

Beach Comber
May 6, 2008
mack bayou
His owner was very upset, he dug out. She was extremely grateful to have found him and promised to take precautionary measures now. We have tags, I am thinking SoWal needs to have doggie microchip day! Best way to keep your pet safe! If anyone ever finds him again, god forbid, just email me, we have the number for the owners. He is definately a traveler. My husband watched him swim with dolphins and get rolled by waves, puked onion rings, ate some combos and jerky, then to our house for basmati rice and butter, hes definately a beach bum!!! Cool dogs, Strange people...gotta love it!:rotfl:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Good Gravy!

Anyone finds a dog of mine, they better not return them until AFTER the onion rings, combos, jerky, and rice & butter have um, been fully digested. :blink:

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
So is running in front of cars....lesser of two evils!

Not necessarily. I think what you did for this dog was wonderful, but as someone who almost lost one of her fur babies to a piece of bacon recently,
( due to the fat content) I have become more aware of what not to feed.

I have learned that sometimes by showing an animal love through food may have terrible results. This is a painful way for an animal to die as well....

Onions and garlic are other dangerous food ingredients that cause sickness in dogs, cats and also livestock. Onions and garlic contain the toxic ingredient thiosulphate. Onions are more of a danger.

Pets affected by onion toxicity will develop haemolytic anaemia, where the pet?s red blood cells burst while circulating in its body.

At first, pets affected by onion poisoning show gastroenteritis with vomiting and diarrhoea. They will show no interest in food and will be dull and weak. The red pigment from the burst blood cells appears in an affected animal?s urine and it becomes breathless. The breathlessness occurs because the red blood cells that carry oxygen through the body are reduced in number.

The poisoning occurs a few days after the pet has eaten the onion. All forms of onion can be a problem including dehydrated onions, raw onions, cooked onions and table scraps containing cooked onions and/or garlic. Left over pizza, Chinese dishes and commercial baby food containing onion, sometimes fed as a supplement to young pets, can cause illness.

Onion poisoning can occur with a single ingestion of large quantities or with repeated meals containing small amounts of onion. A single meal of 600 to 800 grams of raw onion can be dangerous whereas a ten-kilogram dog, fed 150 grams of onion for several days, is also likely to develop anaemia. The condition improves once the dog is prevented from eating any further onion

While garlic also contains the toxic ingredient thiosulphate, it seems that garlic is less toxic and large amounts would need to be eaten to cause illness.