• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Since we are still talking about it and the new sheriff was sworn in days ago (did that happen at midnight or noon BTW?) I would assume we have a barn door closing, horse long gone situation. :dunno:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Since we are still talking about it and the new sheriff was sworn in days ago (did that happen at midnight or noon BTW?) I would assume we have a barn door closing, horse long gone situation. :dunno:

He was sworn in at 12:01 AM on 1-1-09 and then sworn in again this morning. The first few days were part of a gubernatorial appointment.

There have been alluded improprieties on either on hear or some other board I have read. Someone said ballots were out so they still might unionize. I have my doubts from what I am hearing.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
The reason I asked for a time clarification was that someone asked me the very valid question "Isn't midnight New Year's Eve a bad time to be having law enforcement all in one location being sworn in rather than patrolling?". :dunno:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
The reason I asked for a time clarification was that someone asked me the very valid question "Isn't midnight New Year's Eve a bad time to be having law enforcement all in one location being sworn in rather than patrolling?". :dunno:

Yes, that is why they swore a lot of the off duty and north end, then went around the county introducing the command staff and swearing in the rest of the deputies. I understand they even went to Baytowne around 1 AM or so. Making a full circle and finishing up at the Sheriff's office around 10 or so the next day. I was told that they made five different stops to make sure everyone was done as expeditiously as possible.

Creeklover

Beach Lover
Dec 6, 2007
Arbitration with whom? Who would be arbitrating this agreement? A lot of I thinks and probably would information in this thread, I am looking for how it is going to be.

There is people that are certified to do arbitrations and you use one of them. I know Amy Perry is one from the Law office in destin.

Creeklover

Beach Lover
Dec 6, 2007
I was speaking with some SO who was demoted today and they sure wish they would have supported the PBA and not thinking the Mike would not demote anyone in rank in the SO. If they were in the PBA in a protected position their job position whould have been saved.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
What was the general reason for the demotion?

I know there were some staff changes with the new Sheriff, but since the only specific example I know of was recently charged with speeding and DUI my sympathy level is currently rather low. :roll:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I was speaking with some SO who was demoted today and they sure wish they would have supported the PBA and not thinking the Mike would not demote anyone in rank in the SO. If they were in the PBA in a protected position their job position whould have been saved.

How could rank have been protected? If the ability to demote was not a possibility then the deputy would not have had a job. Deputies have to be re-appointed every four years when the Sheriff is re-appointed, and I can not think of how you could force someone to appoint someone else if they chose not too. Not to say that you may not have to keep paying them, but if you refuse to appoint them then what?

And would administrative rank positions be protected? So you are saying that the citizens of Walton County can go and overwhelmingly tell someone that they now want them to be Sheriff to make the changes that need to be made, but one last thing, you have to keep all the people in place that have not been doing what we want done during the last administration.

:funn: