• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Creeklover

Beach Lover
Dec 6, 2007
FF2 I think they may have used that one.

Tha policy manual. according to the paper this week Mike said they did not have one and he was making one. Also if it is in the policy manual the sheriff can change it at anytime for no reason and then fire you. If you have a union contract you have protection from this.

Also most union contracts have clauses in them with a list of gross missconduct that you can be fired for without every doing anything elese. Here is a example i found on the internet:

The following list of causes shall be deemed major offenses so serious in nature that discharge or discipline is appropriate without regard to the employee’s length of service, prior conduct record or any other consideration:
1. Drinking or being under the influence of intoxicants, narcotics, controlled substances or hallucinogens during duty hours.
2. Dishonesty
3. Fighting on duty.
4. Insubordination.
5. Proven substandard work performance.
6. Habitual tardiness.
7. Unauthorized use of property
8. Unauthorized use of premises.
9. Having one (I) unreported absence, or unexcused absence, except in case of emergency.
10. Misuse of funds.
12. The personal acceptance of any fee, gift, or other valuable consideration is given in the course of ones work or in connection with it, when such gift or other valuable consideration is given in hope or expectation of receiving favor or better treatment than that accorded others.​

Creeklover

Beach Lover
Dec 6, 2007
Also management can still fire anyone who is not a good employee in a union. All they haft to do is document the employee problems. This may take a little longer but showes that the employee was given a chance.

I think the last 2 SO employees that was fired could have been fired it and when they were found guilty of the crime and it seams that there is enough to convict them.

But with the other one was set up by some employees that did not like him and was promoted over them. He was a Sgt. at teh SO. I still think that the other officers did not do their job and thet still have a job. Why keep a deputy on the payroll when be botches up a simple DUI case and the judge throws it out??

I would rather have a deputy on the street that may speed a little (and EVERYONE speeds at one time or another) rather than paying a deputy who can not get a simple DUI case right.

I agree with FF2 about the deputies speeding in their cars. They pass me all the time speeding

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Thanks Creeklover for the info, but the list is just for on duty instance. I have heard that there may be one coming out to prohibit what is now permissive off duty. I also wonder if these former Deputies had any work related issues along the lines listed. I am also curious when the deputy had his crash off duty at 331, if the investigating deputy or supervisor were the same that were involved in Cullens case? I am not accusing but am curious whether a double standard is shown.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
FF2 - I know I seem to view unions in an overly unfavorable light, but that is from years of prolonged exposure to them and their shortcomings. They long ago ceased to protect the small guy or the hard worker and now just line pockets and prevent needed reform or discipline - in our schools, factories, sheriff's departments, and many other places.

I would much rather vote for additional legal employment protections for the WCSO staff than open the union can of worms at a time when we are hopefully getting needed reforms in the department. Please do not confuse my wish for less bureaucracy and protections for those who do wrong with a lack of support for the employees.

One of the reasons I am optimistic about the new administration is because I want better treatment for the employees - but that doesn't extend to those law enforcement personnel BREAKING THE LAW! Yes, as law enforcement personnel whose job is to enforce the law you are held to the uber-high standard of NOT breaking the law. :roll:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Scooter
Although I do understand your view and even accept your reasoning evn if I can't agree, I appreciate most the idea that you seek even by different methods fair treatment for our employees. As for the uber standard, I'm afraid you'll find us all lacking in some respect. We trust people with our money and we get screwed, we trust those we elect to do the right thing but they are influenced by the special interst, we seek guidance from religon and find those in leadership are failing also. People are people, they have failings and sometimes they are no different than us mere mortals.

Creeklover

Beach Lover
Dec 6, 2007
Thanks Creeklover for the info, but the list is just for on duty instance. I have heard that there may be one coming out to prohibit what is now permissive off duty. I also wonder if these former Deputies had any work related issues along the lines listed. I am also curious when the deputy had his crash off duty at 331, if the investigating deputy or supervisor were the same that were involved in Cullens case? I am not accusing but am curious whether a double standard is shown.

Yes but they could wrute anything they could agree on into the contract.

Does Police have a Bill of Rights????

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I am not sure whether there is a Police Bill of Rights, but if they were anything like the FF Bill of Rights it would be for investigative and disciplinary. I think you can write anything that is agreeable into the contract that does not violate State or Federal law. I believe you can also write language that if something is found to be illegal by the courts, the article opens up for renegotiations.