• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

WhoDat1

Beach Lover
Oct 23, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
God put that beach here for all of us to unwind, forget about the troubles of the world and relax. The rich want to own (and rarely get out to ENJOY it) the poor and middle class want to enjoy it. This is a ridiculous issue. Thank goodness the S.O. and the S.A.O. are now appying strict guidelines for complainants. After all, the burden of proof has ALWAYS been on those that prosecute. Defendants are ALWAYS assumed innocent until PROVEN guilty.

**Note: opinions expressed herein are my own and not those of anyone associated with the WCSO...**

swampfox

Beach Lover
Sep 22, 2008
Tell you what

A similar situation occured a few days ago at the Retreat when homeowners forced a family to move 5', (yes 5 feet!) because they had 'encroached' on the Retreat beach.

EVERYBODY at the party I was at on Sunday was talking about this because several of them witnessed the event.

Everbody was pissed and ready to protest.

It is ridiculous that some Retreat homeowners have nothing better to do in their multi-million dollar beachfront homes but leer down on beachgoers.

Is this why you bought into this area? Pleeeeeeeeeeease, get a life!

A well managed protest in front of the offending resident would probably make a very strong point, since apparently -these folks are strung way too tight and would be horrified at the uncalculated consequences of their actions.

When I become a Multi Millionare the Frist thing Im going to do is buy back all that beach. Then I'm going to Advertise FREE BUSCH BEER!!!! After I run off all those pompas idiots, I will alow anyone who would like to use the beach the oppertunity to use it, provided of course the keep it clean, because I can't stand litter bugs. In mant other states its against the law to prohibit the public from any part of the beach any where. I sure wish it was like that here. Then I wouldnt have to walk over a mile to fish off of a jetty.

WhoDat1

Beach Lover
Oct 23, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Did you know......

.........the entire Oregon Coast is a State Park? No private beaches there! (this is where the people who don't like what I have to say suggest I go there ):roll:

It is hard for me to be sympathetic to rich people complaining about people being "on their beach" when FEMA pays for their houses after hurricanes ruin them!:shock:

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
.........the entire Oregon Coast is a State Park? No private beaches there! (this is where the people who don't like what I have to say suggest I go there ):roll:

It is hard for me to be sympathetic to rich people complaining about people being "on their beach" when FEMA pays for their houses after hurricanes ruin them!:shock:

You may want to check the highlighted statement as I don't believe FEMA pays for the replacement of private structures in the manner that you think. The homeowner may have flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program of which there is coverage up to a maximum of $250,000, but so do others who live in Sowal and not along the coast. Moreover, they pay an insurance premium just like I do for the coverage they are provided.

That being said, FEMA does have two categories of funding (categories B & G) where public facilities, emergency sand placement, debris removal and other types of projects can occur on the beach that are directly beneficial to the upland owner. I just don't think there is house replacement.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
FEMA, Flood Insurance nor any other public funding helped put our dune, walkover and townhomes back in place. It was all done with our private money. More than I can say for NOLA or some other places that have had disaster damage.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
FEMA, Flood Insurance nor any other public funding helped put our dune, walkover and townhomes back in place. It was all done with our private money. More than I can say for NOLA or some other places that have had disaster damage.

That is what I remembered. Thank you for your post.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
This still may rank in my world as one of the saddest threads ever on Sowal. Arrested on a beach? Wow? Have we really gotten that sorry. The thought of someone calling the cops to have someone removed from "their" beach turns my stomach a bit. I would love to be witness of the person making the call. It would be quite hysterical!

911: This is 911, what is your emergency?

Caller: We are down here on the beach and some "other people" are down here on our beach.

911: I will ask again. What is your emergency?

Caller: You see this is our beach. The lot lines in our deed say that this is our beach. Could you just get someone down here to remove these people. BTW, they have tattoos.

911: OK... Seriously, what is your emergency?

Caller: Could you hurry up? One of them looked at us! It appears they are trying to just sit there and enjoy our beach. Help us!

911: Look. Did you not know that you can't really own the beach. It's like trying to own the sky.

Caller: What is you name! I need someone down here right now! One of them just laughed out loud. They seem to be enjoying themselves on our beach! Help! This could really get out of hand. These people may have friends!

911: Click...

Last edited:

greenroomsurfer

Beach Fanatic
Nov 24, 2006
Where Free Speech Is Allowed
And this was done with the proper DEP permitting? You decided to live on the beach front on a barrier island! Guess what folks, Walton county wins the prize for having the highest density of Village Idiots! Having lots of money doesn't mean it can buy you intelligence but it damn sure can pay for your mistakes. If your townhomes were not built on the dune system to begin with we would not be having this conversation period. It's a moot point!:bang: