• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
If the spray bottle doesn't work or isn't feasible due to work, social activities, etc. get mouse traps and place them on counters, kitchen tables, dining room table, etc. If you have a glass surface don't use them. Set the trap and place it UPSIDE DOWN, this is very important, and if the cat gets on the area and moves the trap it will go off scaring the cat off the area. The sound and motion will teach kitty a very valuable lesson.

There are also sprays that can be purchased that will repel the cat from things it is sprayed on. It is very effective and after a certain number of sprayings kitty will be in the habit of avoiding those areas anyway.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
I don't think Cowboy is a sprayer. Thank God, evidently!

And, JohnRudy, Sweet Pea being a rescue, came with her own set of issues. Separation anxiety, which makes her chew and lounge on top of my dining room table. It's funny to see her up there, but she gets up there so she can look out the window for me coming down the driveway. Sometimes she sits in the dining chairs and just sits. Doing nothing.

Anyway, both of my animals have caused some damage, but it just isn't important.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Since the cat in question is a known violator of $ furnishings (and I blame the owner BTW, as I do w/ all poorly behaved pets and children), I don't think BR is being unreasonable to want to protect her house from its new tenant.

Do they really cut its toes off when they declaw it? :blink:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Since the cat in question is a known violator of $ furnishings (and I blame the owner BTW, as I do w/ all poorly behaved pets and children), I don't think BR is being unreasonable to want to protect her house from its new tenant.

Do they really cut its toes off when they declaw it? :blink:

Yes- to the first joint. Then the feet are wrapped in gauze and tape for several days, with the blood oozing out and lots of pain- it is horrible to watch them walk. Cats respond to pain meds in strange ways so it is not always effective and/or makes them nuts. We never let them go home until the 3rd or 4th day, because the owners would freak out when they saw how truly awful this procedure is, or they would get them home, take off the bandages, and have a bloodbath all over the house.

Anyway, both of my animals have caused some damage, but it just isn't important.
Pepper has never damaged anything except my arm during a Gator game and my husband's orthotics. Unlike my previous twin miniature poodles who would get ticked off when we'd spend a Saturday at Lenox Square and chew a hole into the sheetrock.:eek: Also, they loved to eat my underwear.

Thank you. :bow:

Yes- to the first joint. Then the feet are wrapped in gauze and tape for several days, with the blood oozing out and lots of pain- it is horrible to watch them walk. Cats respond to pain meds in strange ways so it is not always effective and/or makes them nuts. We never let them go home until the 3rd or 4th day, because the owners would freak out when they saw how truly awful this procedure is, or they would get them home, take off the bandages, and have a bloodbath all over the house.

I experienced that when Pepper had all digits on her cancerous toe removed last summer. It was awful. Even though I am not a cat person, I love animals enough to not put them through this. (Heck, I brake for squirrels). I just thought declawing meant taking off the nail, not taking off the toe, like daughter who stubbed her baby toes so many times that there is just a vestige of a toenail there. Almost impossible to put polish on them.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Pepper has never damaged anything except my arm during a Gator game and my husband's orthotics. Unlike my previous twin miniature poodles who would get ticked off when we'd spend a Saturday at Lenox Square and chew a hole into the sheetrock.:eek: Also, they loved to eat my underwear.

That's a lounge thread right there! :blink:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
See BR- you have some options! Claw covers, trimming, or new home for the cat!:clap:

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnie

A GF has dogs that eat her underwear.....The General used to do that, but Sweet Pea doesn't.

My animals have caused very little stress over damage, which is very little. Compared to the funn we have and the joy they bring, it's nothing. So, that was my original input - it's just not important when you look at a tangible compared to a breathing being.

And, so glad, BR, that you know now about declawing. Once my family told me about this, I never looked back with Cowboy. Plus, having his claws helps him hunt and gather much more efficiently......do you like chipmunks brought to you? :D