• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com

Passion. It's exciting and fun to live within the depths of this emotion. Exploration. It's a path where I try to remain.

Day to day demands of life can interrupt or sidetrack us from where we'd like to be. Our journey is not always filled with passion or exploration. But with that mind-set, I try to set out each day.

Today, I found it out on 'The Second Sandbar'. I've enjoyed my little series of videos, entitled, 'Another Walk with Mike'. I naturally do these things, regardless of if a camera is present. It's my drug. It's clean. But since I've begun cataloging some of my excursions on film, an added dimension has been established.

I feel a sense of contribution. I feel an extra sense of worth within myself. It may sound grandiose or at the same time, trivial, but it is how I feel.

I am at a certain place in my life. I am searching and I am finding. On my journeys I receive something from Nature. It completes me. But, most often, when I am in the throngs of exploration, I am by myself. And during my quest, a multitude of stimuli abound and I am excited. But, something is added when I shoot and then share video of my excursions.

As a boy, on a skiing vacation with my family, I was in love with the activity of sliding down the white powdery slopes. But I missed something. I wished that I could share the experience with my friends back home. I was incomplete. I needed the added dimension of give and take with those I cared about. I wanted to see joy in their eyes just as I felt it in within me. I needed that connection to lift the experience to another level.

I think it is that feeling, that emotion, that propels me to want to share my videos. I empty my emotions out during my quest, my exploration.

It also buries my head in the sand. It provides me a diversion away from the pain of not having my son, Evan, and my darling little princess, Mikelynn. It passes time and helps me to not dwell on my misfortune, the absence of what truly makes my heart beat soundly.

And my videos also connect me with my little wonders. I call them and say, "Daddy has a neat new video for you", and I hear their voices, their excitement.

I tell them that when we are together we can make some videos of our own, and their minds race at the possibilities. They conspire and they imagine. And they imagine life with me. And I smile.

And I think, what can my next video entail? Where can I take the little ones so they can be a part of something great with me? What experience can we imprint on our minds, in our souls, and digitally online? I think of how they can one day look back, just as someone will look back at a photo album, and my children will see and remember a journey taken with me. And they will be proud of having done so. They will bask in the glory of having had me as a Dad.

Again, grandiose? Well, with only one shot at life, I'll shoot for that. I'll shoot for sharing. I'll shoot for creating. I'll shoot for passion and exploration and learning, and I'll shoot for love.

I loved my trip out to the second sandbar. I hope you did too.

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com

Thanks rheffron. It was nice to get out on the water. With all of the spring winds and the resulting unusual stained waters, it was nice to see the clarity we know and love to return recntly.

And with the water being at a good temperature, it's easy to slide into the blue and sight-see. I dread the idea of the jelly fish finding their way back here. They really put a damper on my excusrions last year, and stopped me from getting down into some special moments.

The purple flags had been up recently, supposedly due to the man-of-war coming in. But as a diver told me, with the man-of-war will come clear water, and he was right. As soon as I saw the purple flag down and the waves not crashing, which would be trouble for my sit-inside kayak, I was into the water.

I've enjoyed the second sandbar since visiting the area as a kid. I use to swim out there, and still do, but it's nice to have my kayak with me. I remember times when I was young where I'd be out there, with no fins, and run myself rugged, exhausted from my swim. Then, coming in, espeically with the undertows which I didn't completely understand at the time, there were several times where I nearly didn't make it back.

It's great that the flag system exists now, even though not all heed it and result in inevitable deaths. When I was young, I never knew about the tide that would get caught between the sandbars and the resulting issues with that. My kayak sure gives me a helping hand out there with that though.

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Thanks for that trip Mike....been a while since I've been there. You share so much with us....we are blessed!

Beachbummette

SoWal Insider
Jul 16, 2005
Birmingham and Watersound
Very nice Mike! Thanks! I really enjoyed that. Do we not live in an amazing part of the world?

One of these I'm going to get out there and do that......now.....who's gonna come watch for the sharks?!

Hop

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Dune Allen
www.myspace.com
thanks mike for another enjoyable journey! Keep the camera rollin'!

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB
Awesome! What kind of camera do ya use?

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
Very nice Mike! Thanks! I really enjoyed that. Do we not live in an amazing part of the world?

One of these I'm going to get out there and do that......now.....who's gonna come watch for the sharks?!

No, I worry about that too. Sometimes, especially with the contrast between above and below the surface that I had while shooting this video, underwater can be so calming, so quiet. Almost like the womb I guess.

But then, out of nowhere I get a feeling and my eyes begin to dart around. Especially because at the beginning of my snorkel I had gone pretty deep and got a nose bleed that never really let up. I just went with it.

But last year I had an occurence where a huge tarpon passed right by me. When I initially saw it out of the corner of my eye, I just knew it was a shark. It did make me get out of the water though ;)

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
Awesome! What kind of camera do ya use?

It's nothing special. Really, kinda a cheap digital camera as far as its technical features, like a 3x zoom, which is horrible for close ups of nature. Obviously it cost more due to its underwater capabilities and for the money you get less camera, but the ability to go underwater is there.

But it is an Olympus 850 SW. I can't recall the price, but I think it was somewhere just over $200. I also got a float with it that connects to the camera. This is in case you drop it so it doesn't fall to the bottom. My brother had an underwater camera that fell below its allowable depth and was ruined, so I splurged an extra $20 bucks and bought the float attachment. Worth it for sure.

Even if I didn't go below the surface with it though, I was determined to get one that could get wet after ruining a few cameras and phones since moving here.