• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Now, that's just plain mean--you aren't playing fair. Posting such a beautiful shot and then leaving us out. I'm shocked and :cry::cry:
Do you know why there are so many shells there? -- Because the Shell Island Tour Ferry doesn't take boat-loads of people there.

gardening1970

Beach Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
Atlanta
Question regarding Crooked Island - do you need any special permission from Tyndal to visit the island? Is it part of the air base or just in close proximity thereto? I know where the access road is and I think it is marked with a small brown sign, which I thought was inside the base perimeter. Would love to go when I'm in St. Joe in a few weeks, and even better if I could take my boat out there.

FloridaBuckeye

Beach Lover
Sep 4, 2008
I agree with Crooked Island

Crooked Island has awesome shells! I actually have a shell bikini top made from Crooked Island shells!! :)

Crooked Island is the best place near Mexico Beach. You go through Tyndall on 98 and there is a dirt road on your right, right before you get to Mexico Beach. Google it beforehand because it's not easy to find. We took a bunch of kids last year and they got a ton of shells.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
Question regarding Crooked Island - do you need any special permission from Tyndal to visit the island? Is it part of the air base or just in close proximity thereto? I know where the access road is and I think it is marked with a small brown sign, which I thought was inside the base perimeter. Would love to go when I'm in St. Joe in a few weeks, and even better if I could take my boat out there.

We didn't get any permission and I don't think you need to. I don't think it's officially part of Tyndall. Here's a photo from when we were there. The photo was taken when we first got on the beach, so the big shells weren't in the photo. Note the absence of people in the second photo. This was during Christmas break though.

Last edited:

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
Hubby and I went to Crooked Island at the end of Tynndale, there's a warning sign when you 1st enter that you need permission then another sign that you just need to follow the rules (that you could get online or at the Visitor Center); we just went with the usual, park in the lot and leave the beach as good or better than when you arrived. We found several pretty shells, there were tons of bivalves, and found about 12 keeper whole sand dollars and tons of pieces. It's not Sanibel but has tons and tons more shells that we've found on South Walton or on Shell Island. It was fun and we had a nice time checking out Mexico Beach as well; looked nice but it's no 30A!!!

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
I have found larger conks, whelks, murex and bonnets on Okaloosa Island. I go to the last public parking area and head West onto the military property. They are OK as long as you don't stop and set up camp. They will kick you off if you stop. After about a mile, the people drop off and the shells pick up. I usually take a snorkel with me and find a great many treasures in the last five feet of the surf, but not quite up on the beach. I literally have trunks full of shells.
Navarre was another great spot after they did the beach renourishment, if you can get away from the people. Not as good over there anymore since they reopened the road to Pensacola.

Great shots SJ! I can see a future trip South with the little lady and kayak to do some exploring.