• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
That is interesting because my understanding is that the MHWM is a 13 year moving average and therefore changes frequently.

Yes the line moves based on the 13 year average. I can tell you that it will have to move alot to keep your feet dry. My point is that I have had the survey done, and many have not.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Just a figure of speach - I have had it surveyed and have eastablished where the MHW mark is.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes the line moves based on the 13 year average. I can tell you that it will have to move alot to keep your feet dry. My point is that I have had the survey done, and many have not.
Would be curious to know what kind of grade "your" beach is on? And how often you have had need to update your MHWM survey?
How much change have you experienced in the MHWM in your immediate area?
What kind of surveyor is qualified to do these kinds of surveys and what are their recommendations for when a resurvey may be needed?

Sorry.:blush:.Lots of questions .....

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
E-mails records were filed for by hte plantif that showed horror stories of items such as Rolex watches hidden in coolers being thrown in the landfill.

...so some Dilbert "hid" his Rolex in a cooler and left it on the beach overnight and it ended up in the landfill...:roll:

Que the tiniest of violins!

:violin:

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
Sheesh! I did not realize what a danger these things were. I guess you guys are right. And that liability could occur anytime day or night.

Well....the only logical thing to do......since the umbrella is the one doing all the damage. I guess it is time to see if we can get the BCC to just go ahead and BAN beach umbrellas. I see little difference between them and guns so I am sure that I can count on the support of most people on this board.

I figured someone would eventually make that jump...

My point is that unattended, non-stationary beach items pose a hazard to other people, nearby buildings, and to the Gulf and the lakes. Who do you think should be responsible if these unattended items go flying and injure a person, bust out someone's plate glass window, or end up in the Eastern Lake outflow where kids swim and fish and crabs dine and socialize?

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I figured someone would eventually make that jump...

My point is that unattended, non-stationary beach items pose a hazard to other people, nearby buildings, and to the Gulf and the lakes. Who do you think should be responsible if these unattended items go flying and injure a person, bust out someone's plate glass window, or end up in the Eastern Lake outflow where kids swim and fish and crabs dine and socialize?

Littering is littering. If they walk off and leave the stuff on a public beach and you are going to call it trash then take it, throw it away, and arrest the culprits.

The point that seems to be missed, is that no one has declared all of the beaches public. Some of the property is private. The county needs to just go ahead and raise the millage rate up to the maximum and since an argument could be made that the beach is a great public purpose, take the land through the process, reduce the values and compensate the owners. Then the whole stretch is public and picking up the trash left is no longer a problem.

But what the majority seems to want to do is take control of someone else's property. Now that may sound good, but so far it appears the lawyers are saying that it can not be done. That darn Constitution just keeps getting in the way. And while many may wish to shred that document, I believe that is why Jefferson was so strongly in favor of the 2nd amendment, as well as the other nine.

As for who is responsible, since there is foreseeability and since the property owner would have a duty to maintain, if something happens like that because they did not go out and clean the stuff off themselves, then I would think that they would get to enjoy the liability.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
My beef is the word, LANDFILL! In this day of going green and recycling, shame, shame! Taking this stuff to the landfill? Useable stuff should be taken to the Caring and Sharing, Haven House, Habitat for Humanity, or someother charity organization to be sold to raise money for these organizations. The rest of it should be sorted and deposited in the appropriate places! Failed the ECO-FRIENDLY award!

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
My beef is the word, LANDFILL! In this day of going green and recycling, shame, shame! Taking this stuff to the landfill? Useable stuff should be taken to the Caring and Sharing, Haven House, Habitat for Humanity, or someother charity organization to be sold to raise money for these organizations. The rest of it should be sorted and deposited in the appropriate places! Failed the ECO-FRIENDLY award!

I'll take the bold step of contributing to the ECO-FRIENDLY award by accepting all Rolex watches that would otherwise be sent to the landfill. :wave: