• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
I want to place a video cam near my mailbox. Postman is spooky and scared to death of 'predator bugs and snakes.' :rotfl:So, he keeps shoving my jasmine off my mailbox and I am about to go postal on him. He denies doing it!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Locking doors is something most people know to do. Or at least know they are failing to do. No need to broadcast there is money in an unlocked car in a particular town and street. It's kind of like an invitation to come prowl isn't it?

Yzarctoo

Beach Fanatic
Mar 6, 2009
No invitation issued

Locking doors is something most people know to do. Or at least know they are failing to do. No need to broadcast there is money in an unlocked car in a particular town and street. It's kind of like an invitation to come prowl isn't it?

I didn't realize I was BROADCASTING Kurt...I thought and I meant to warn others that there were folks in the Grayton area prowling and looking for unlocked cars on Pine Street. Which by the way, had other car looters about this same time last year here on Pine. Sometimes living in Paradise we forget that there are Others out there who are ready to prey on us when we make foolish mistakes. AND leaving a car unlocked was foolish and careless on our part. I also discovered via my "BROADCAST' that there were several others that had their cars invaded...Defuniak Street and Magnolia were also visited...so it appears that there were quite a few of us that got hit. Perhaps my warning may have reminded others who may have become careless to LOCK their cars...at least I hope so. The money missing was change and a few dollars...it wasn't my life savings...I for one would want to know if my town, or my street might have a problem with unlocked cars and petty thieves. I really don't think I extended an invitation to come prowl.

lsucajuns

Beach Lover
Jun 10, 2008
Dune Allen
hendersonscott66.wix.com
The other morning I went to getin my truck to go to work and I don't keep my truck unlocked, but when I went up to it the door was craked open. I saw that someone had went thru my glove box, nothing missing that I know of. Seems to be going around.

DavidD

Beach Fanatic
Jul 23, 2008
Seagrove
www.davidDdesign.com
When I first moved to SoWal, almost 14 years ago (1996), my wife and I lived in a micro-small apartment behind our store in Ruskin Place, Seaside and felt extremely safe compared to the city we left. We heard stories of how everyone left their doors unlocked and we were excited to join the club. Back then the local community was much smaller and everyone knew everyone. But even back then, we had two bikes stolen from deep, under a carport. I'm sad to say that from that point on, I have locked all doors. I don't mean to be a downer and I'm not paranoid, and I do think that we live in a very safe place but there's no reason to press your luck.
Not 6 months ago, my wife's purse was casually taken out of her car when it was parked at Bentley's (the old 3Thirty1) off of Chat Holley. She had to run into the building for a second and just didn't think to lock it. Luckily for her, a security camera had just been installed and caught the criminal in the act. Our great sheriff's department had the burglars caught within the hour and the purse and contents returned. We were told that they were living in a house on Chat Holley that a was a junk pile of stolen backpacks, purses and bags.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Thieves know we get a whole new crop of folks each week with stuff to steal. Many of our visitors come from "gated upscale communities" or live out in the country where they habitually leave their cars unlocked with their stuff inside (money, iPods, cameras, laptops). These visitors, because they pay big bucks for a beach house, falsely assume that our little beach community is "safe and secure" too. What they fail to realize is that they're living among a bunch of strangers who change out every week..."strangers" wandering in and out of vacation rental subdivisions and condo parking lots is no cause for alarm. Thieves just brush past cars, trying the handles to see if one opens (apparently many do) and grab the loot and go.

We are in a serious recession with unemployment on the rise and I expect petty theft will rise too. Personally, I'd like to thank the folks who "make it easy" for these thieves by leaving their stuff unsecured...without them, the thieves might become more aggressive.

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Perhaps the parents of the child who was caught doing this last year should hold that child by their ankles and shake. The child has clearly learned not to take traceable items like bags, phones, iPods, etc.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I didn't realize I was BROADCASTING Kurt...I thought and I meant to warn others that there were folks in the Grayton area prowling and looking for unlocked cars on Pine Street. Which by the way, had other car looters about this same time last year here on Pine. Sometimes living in Paradise we forget that there are Others out there who are ready to prey on us when we make foolish mistakes. AND leaving a car unlocked was foolish and careless on our part. I also discovered via my "BROADCAST' that there were several others that had their cars invaded...Defuniak Street and Magnolia were also visited...so it appears that there were quite a few of us that got hit. Perhaps my warning may have reminded others who may have become careless to LOCK their cars...at least I hope so. The money missing was change and a few dollars...it wasn't my life savings...I for one would want to know if my town, or my street might have a problem with unlocked cars and petty thieves. I really don't think I extended an invitation to come prowl.

I understand and meant no offense. I doubt burglars are reading this forum. :wave: