• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
Visiting dogs

Kurt, thanks for your interest in my article that mentioned beach permits for "visiting dogs." From the discussion and action at the Sept. 8 county commission meeting, I had the impression that the commissioners had decided to move forward with these permits, with details to be worked out later, and others I spoke with at the meeting also thought so. The commissioners did have a written proposal before them at that meeting to amend an ordinance in order to provide for issuance of visiting dogs permits. However, this week I checked with the county commission chair and the tax collector's office, and the official word is, as Just Curous had said, the visiting dogs permit proposal was not part of what the commissioners approved at that public hearing. I would respectfully disagree with the proposal being characterized as just an idea, but it appears that it is not being pursued, at least for now. I'm working on an update for next week's Beach Breeze, and I'll do my best to keep readers abreast of this topic, which seems to be of great interest to south Walton residents and visitors. Your thread title was a little "forward looking," as the St. Joe folks say (and I guess my article could be termed so also), so I'm requesting either a new thread or a revision to the thread title if my post is merged with the former thread.

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Front page of the this week's Beach Breeze- "Visiting Dog" permit issue on hold-- Dotty Nist's followup article.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I truly hope our beaches are not reopened to all dogs. The current property owner or permanent resident language was reached as a compromise between folks who stated they moved here just so they could take their dogs on the beach (oh, please...) and banning dogs altogether. I have NEVER seen angrier people than I did at that meeting over a decade ago.

What I can't figure out is why none of the other local counties allow dogs on their beaches, nobody questions that, and it's not a problem. Let Walton County try to maintain respectable, sanitary beaches and we get skewered.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
If you are going to allow dogs on the beach, the County better be prepared to supervise their owners. I am a local who walks the beach almost daily year round and just about every dog I encounter on the beach (and I see LOTS of them) is running unsupervised off the leash. It's an accident waiting to happen and have had some close calls myself. Not to mention they are never prepared for clean up either. Of course there are exceptions but that is not what I observe.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Front page of the this week's Beach Breeze- "Visiting Dog" permit issue on hold-- Dotty Nist's followup article.

The Defuniak Herald ? “VISITING DOG” PERMIT ISSUE ON HOLD
?We probably will take it up again at some point, but I don?t know when,? Walton County Commission Chair Sara Comander said of the possibility of issuing temporary permits to allow tourists to bring their dogs on the beach in Walton County.

Currently only Walton County property owners and year-round residents are eligible for permits to bring their dogs on the beach during specified hours. According to county regulations, the dogs must be on a leash and owners must clean up after them. Unpermitted dogs are not officially allowed on the beach, aside from those owned by beachfront homeowners on their lots. State parks do not allow dogs on the beach on their property.

The Walton County Board of County Commissioners (BCC) held a public hearing on Sept. 8 to consider changes to the county ordinance dealing with permits to take dogs on the beach. Commissioners viewed a copy of the ordinance with proposed revisions resulting from a request from the Walton County Tax Collector?s Office, which issues the dog beach permits.

The changes requested by the tax collector?s office were minor ones aimed a clarifying eligibility for ?dog on the beach? permits. Also viewed at the public hearing was language previously requested by the BCC that, if approved, would allow ?visiting dogs? on the beach by means of a temporary permit issued to tourists.

The public hearing concluded with a simple motion for approval and a vote of all ayes. It was not specified whether the ?visiting dog? proposal was included with the revisions providing clarification of eligibility.

However, contacted on Oct. 1, County Commission Chair Sara Comander explained that the approval had only extended to the clarification of permit eligibility requirements for property owners and full-time residents.

Kara Stallings of the Walton County Tax Collector?s Office also stated that no other changes to the ?dog on the beach? permit program had been approved.

Comander said officials are mulling over what route to take to remedy the problem of visitors bringing unpermitted dogs onto the beach. She commented that, as an alternative to issuing temporary dog on the beach permits for tourists, another possibility would be increasing signage and providing for better enforcement of the prohibition on bringing unpermitted dogs on the beach.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
If you are going to allow dogs on the beach, the County better be prepared to supervise their owners. I am a local who walks the beach almost daily year round and just about every dog I encounter on the beach (and I see LOTS of them) is running unsupervised off the leash. It's an accident waiting to happen and have had some close calls myself. Not to mention they are never prepared for clean up either. Of course there are exceptions but that is not what I observe.

I agree it's certainly rare to see a dog ON a leash at the beach. But since I love dogs and let the scooterhounds off their leashes in places I am not supposed to so they can have more funn it doesn't really bother me.

It's the poo I have an issue with - nothing ruins a nice sunset view like a dog walking up, squatting and taking a giant dump! And it's certainly not pleasant when it's floating in the waves when I am trying to have a nice walk along the shore! :bang:

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
The last time this came before the BCC they approved an ordinance, and it did not include allowing visiting dogs on the beach.

Foodlover

Beach Fanatic
Oct 15, 2006
South Walton
I understand the frustration when people do not pick up after their dogs and the danger if there are unruly dogs off of leashes at beaches that are not specifically dog beaches. However, I really wish we had one beach where dogs could be off-leash under owners supervision - a specific beach for dogs. There are places in the US that have have "dog beaches". Does anyone know if these types of off leash dog beaches are working or if there are problems with them?

"Visiting dogs." :rotfl:
I've been meaning to comment about this.

Rental Company: Hello.

Dog: I am a standard poodle and need a one-bedroom accommodation for the weekend starting October 23.

Rental Company: Do you want beach access?

Dog: Of course. That's where I like to poop.

Rental Company: Even if you don't poop there, you need a license to get on the beach.

Dog: Do what? Shall I call my lawyer regarding dog discrimination?

Last edited:

raven316

Beach Lover
Nov 12, 2007
Athens, GA
Well, guess I'll jump in. We take our dogs everywhere with us. When we were last at Seagrove it was not legal to take them to the beach so we didn't. We went to the Outer Banks and they had to be on a leash so they were. We go to St George and they can go so we take them. We always clean up after them. Lot's of people are idiots, residents and non-residents alike. We're coming back for Thanksgiving and we'll follow whatever rules there are.