• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
A speed bump on 30A... As citizens strive to lower speed limit, bigger plans emerge | 30a, speed, change - Local News - WaltonSun.com

A SPEED BUMP ON 30A: As citizens strive to lower speed limit, bigger plans emerge
January 08, 2010 10:30 AM
By Matt Algarin

Will 45 be a thing of the past on 30A?

Friends of Scenic 30A and members of the public gathered on Jan. 4 to discuss lowering the speed limit on 30A to 35 mph for the entire 18.5 mile stretch. The change would let low-speed vehicles, like street-modified golf carts, share the roadway with cars.

Bill Freeze, Chairperson for the Friends, believes the change will have nothing but positive end results.

?These beaches have been voted as one of the 12 best places to see in 2010.? Freeze said. ?We have noticed that we need to educate the tourists and the residents about what we have here in paradise.?

Freeze added that LSVs have to be registered and licensed, which will provide additional income for the county.

About two dozen supportive residents and industry experts gathered to hear the proposals made by the group.

In order for an electric cart or LSV to share the roadway with cars, the speed limit can be no greater than 35 mph. There are currently four miles of roadway on 30A where the speed limit is 45 mph.

In addition to allowing LSVs to traverse the roadway, supporters say the change would help to alleviate some of the traffic by encouraging motorists who are in a hurry to use the feeder roads that run north and south to get to their destinations.

Graham Fountain, chief of special operations for the Sheriff?s Office, clarified that this only pertains to electric carts, not golf carts.

?Because it looks like a duck, talks like a duck and quacks like a duck, but it?s a goose,? Fountain said while describing that anyone who is caught driving a gas-powered cart on 30A would be ticketed.

?The sheriff?s office will be taking a neutral position on the topic,? Fountain said of the speed-limit change. ?We haven?t pulled traffic (data) to see how many crashes involved these types of vehicles.?

?We do have some concerns because 30A is a little atypical than the usual roads you may do this on,? Fountain added. ?When the building starts up again on 30A you are going to have a lot more dump trucks and mixers going up and down the road.?

Tim Paul, who is a former district five commissioner and developer of Topsail Village on 30A, said changing the speed limit should be the first step.

?I think the whole idea is to have a complete system,? Pauls said. ?You shouldn?t have to only be able to use your LSV on 30A. You should actually be able to make a useful trip with it.?

Tom Stein, the Director for the Friends of Scenic 30A, agreed.

Stein said he ?has always had a lifetime interest in public transit and was a cable car grip man in San Francisco for four years.

?With my background in public transit and in addition to living here for the past 30 years or so watching the traffic load increase here on 30A,? Stein said, ?it has led me to the conclusion that some kind of public transit needs to be established on 30A.?

Stein said that the time is imminent and that something has to happen now.

The Friends of Scenic 30A will be holding another public forum on the first Monday in February to discuss updates on traffic crashes and the price tag for redesigning 30A for a bike path and low speed vehicles.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Redesigning it for a bike path? What exactly is the paved thing people currently ride bikes on?

If we lower the speed limit for golf carts it will be a disaster of epic proportions. Cannot believe they are even considering it.

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
I agree thats a darn joke. we have a few people trying to control everything.lets do a check and make sure these"voting people" have no financial interest in the slower carts. is this a setup to swamp 30-a with carts? PLEASE TELL ME WHY CARTS ARE EVEN ALLOWED ON 30-A? THIS ISN'T PANAMA CITY.SO THEY WANT A FEW CARTS TO TAKE PRECEDENT OVER THOUSANDS OF CARS? GIVE ME A BREAK

Last edited by a moderator:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Apparently on a full charge the low speed vehicles get up to about 25mph but a full charge doesn't last long and speed is slower. Since it was brought up that LSVs might snarl traffic they wanted to look into creating a separate path for them which would need to be larger than the current multi-use path.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Apparently on a full charge the low speed vehicles get up to about 25mph but a full charge doesn't last long and speed is slower. Since it was brought up that LSVs might snarl traffic they wanted to look into creating a separate path for them which would need to be larger than the current multi-use path.

:funn:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Yea they will blend right in with all the delivery trucks, (UPS, sysco, produce companies etc.) not to mention the tourists that feel they HAVE to be in front of every car going the current speed limit and pass anything and every thing without regard to oncoming traffic.

beasmiester

Beach Lover
Sep 1, 2009
We watch the traffic on the east end of 30A in the morning and evenings there's a ton of folks that don't abide by the 30 mph coming out of Rosemary. I'd be for more enforcement of the present limit and a consistant 25 or 30 the entire length of our Scenic Highway.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
Do LSVs include mopeds? I know the tourists love them, but they've become an eye sore / noise nuisance on scenic 98.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
The majority of the golf carts I've seen on 30A have a line of cars behind them, and are full of kids that look like they have no restraints on. I'd hate to see a 6 year old on the pavement. No good will become of them, and there's no need to lower the speed limit anywhere on 30A.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Half of the current golf carts, LSV's, or "group rascals" don't have tags anyway. How about a little enforcement on that first.

P.S. I'm not worried about someone's financial interest in selling them as much as someone who bought way off the beach and thinks this will increase rentals. It's a liability nightmare.