• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

cheesehead

Beach Lover
Jul 28, 2008
30a
Lowering the speed would not be a good thing. Just this past week, there are still vehicles that can't do the legal posted speed. As many can attest to, it creates huge lines because there are still the "guarkers" that are inconsiderate. Things should be just left alone, and, I agree with enforcement of kids in golf carts hoding up traffic. And, the mopeds.

As a motorcyclist for some years now, I'm surprised there haven't been {?} accidents involving them, as, the rented mopeheads, do not require a cycle license.It's scary watching some ride down the road with no protective equipment.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Last time I checked, 30-A was a ROAD for CARS. Not electric carts, riding lawn mowers, horse & buggy, etc.

Perhaps I am totally out of touch, but I can picture no good reason for a golf cart to go east-west or viceversa on 30A. Cross the road to get to the other side, yes, but as a primary form of transportation?

Leave the cart-riding to Seaside, Sandestin, Rosemary, etc where it is safe enough and a good way to get to several attractions within the resort/community without cranking up the gas guzzler. Do not block a major east-west thoroughfare that people who are NOT on vacation have to travel to get to work, school, or - horrors - actually enjoy a day at the beach.

Disclaimer: It is Saturday, and therefore I do not represent the viewpoint of anyone but myself.

Hop

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Dune Allen
www.myspace.com
it seems like electric vehicles should be able to use the bike path with YIELD to pedestrian rules. i may be stepping in it here....but that seems more logical than making all of 30-A a bike path... imo.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
This is an idea formulated and promoted by a group interested only in making money, not in protecting the environment or anything else. 30A is a scenic highway, a road, not a cart, bike, pedestrian path of any kind. Most of it is now 35 mph and the area at the North end that is 45 mph should remain that way. Some of us live here and are not tourists any longer. My pet peeve with Grayton is the stupid speed bumps they have installed. Trips to the Red Bar and Shorty's would be more frequent if they weren't there.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
it seems like electric vehicles should be able to use the bike path with YIELD to pedestrian rules. i may be stepping in it here....but that seems more logical than making all of 30-A a bike path... imo.

Considering that I am regularly almost run down by bikes, I don't relish the thought of irresponsible electric vehicle drivers mowing me down on the bike path.;-) And I can't even imagine what a disaster they would be on a busy area of the bike path, like in Seagrove- that part of the bike path is already a really scary stretch.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
Considering that I am regularly almost run down by bikes, I don't relish the thought of irresponsible electric vehicle drivers mowing me down on the bike path.;-) And I can't even imagine what a disaster they would be on a busy area of the bike path, like in Seagrove- that part of the bike path is already a really scary stretch.

Driving those on the bike path is illegal isn't it? I've seen walton stop people for it I think. (I don't think they should be ticketed or fined heavily though, most tourists really don't know and there are few signs posted.)

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
Do not block a major east-west thoroughfare QUOTE]

30A i a major thorough fare? umm... i think you have it confused with U.S. Highway 98, just to its north a couple miles. What's with the stiff opposition to having 30A be a resort/vacation area? Aren't you the guy that runs the agency that's supported by TAXES on said vacation stays?

What if your tax base vacation constituency supports this idea? Would you support it as well?

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006

I didn't get the impression anyone wanted to legalize LEV's on the bike path. Congratulations on actually be a biker who uses the bike path. A lot of the near accidents I see on 30A are the result of the too cool for school bikers, who prefer the highway, over the multi-use path.