• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bluznbeach

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
www.davidsswan.com
This is insane in so many ways I hardly know where to start. :dunno: WHAT would the community gain by allowing electric carts on that road??!! Traffic jams, underage drivers, accidents, and a lot of frustration. It makes about as much sense as the infamous blue signs. :bang:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Robertsondavies, do you own, work, or have any affiliation with a company that sells, rents, repairs, or conducts business with LSV's?

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
One afternoon I witnessed a driver in a licensed electric cart have three cars pass it (on a solid Line) after picking up children from Van Butler Elementary. The area in which this happened was 35 mph.

It seemed a bit dangerous to me.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I'm not sure what the best answer will be but I hope they find it in the end. whatever works - lower speed, speed bumps, and anything else it takes to keep everyone safe - do it. rules for mopeds and golf carts need to be established (on the road or on the path) and enforced.

lowering the speed on 30A won't hurt my feelings. there is absolutely no rush. but I am not sure I want to be driving on the same road with golf carts and mopeds.

tourists and others driving into Grayton have torn through the main street all the way to Red Bar - for years and years. stop signs, warning signs and speed bumps have helped a great deal. (the round traffic table put in several years ago - not sure what that was all about)... but we still see visitors fly through now and then - especially at night time. the residents of Grayton have taken every precaution to keep their children and everyone safe in their community,. I am thankful for that.

I think they made a mistake in paving the little adorable sandy roads in Grayton. the nice wide paving was just an invitation for fast driving cars!

Last edited:

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
My question is who passed the law to allow electric carts and mopeds on 30-a?much of the beauty of 30-a is it won't become another pamama city. this past summer there were many kids speeding wrecklessly around 30-a. THE AREA OF 45 MPH NEAR GRAYTON IS MOSTLY STATE PARK WITH FEW HOMES AROUND. if they change this it is souley to appease the electric carts and TO PROBABLY FURTHER EXPAND THERE USE. my question again is of the people in power pushing for this do they have a vested financial interest? Is somebody who's pushing for this reduced speed limit about to unleash 100's of these annoying vehicles on 30-a?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
All I know is that I have not been favorably impressed by the LVL's I have seen being used so far and REALLY don't want to see more of it~!

Yes, I could see them being great in a different place with different roads/geography/population etc. but not here.

I also think lowering the speed limit on 30A and filling it with slow moving traffic will funnel more people off the main road and onto residential side roads - where they are more likely to hit bicyclists, kids, pets, and other vehicles etc.

P.S. Add those damn rented mopeds being operated w/o helmets or a clue to that disgust list too. (People who own them and know how to ride them are welcome.)

totally

Beach Comber
Jul 19, 2008
My question is who passed the law to allow electric carts and mopeds on 30-a?much of the beauty of 30-a is it won't become another pamama city. this past summer there were many kids speeding wrecklessly around 30-a. THE AREA OF 45 MPH NEAR GRAYTON IS MOSTLY STATE PARK WITH FEW HOMES AROUND. if they change this it is souley to appease the electric carts and TO PROBABLY FURTHER EXPAND THERE USE. my question again is of the people in power pushing for this do they have a vested financial interest? Is somebody who's pushing for this reduced speed limit about to unleash 100's of these annoying vehicles on 30-a?

State Statutes allows for LSV's to drive on roads that establish speed limits of 35mph or less.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Does that mean they aren't currently allowed on 30-A because it has speed limits of more than 35?

I asked about that in another thread and was vehemently told they COULD drive them on it, but just in those areas that were 35 or lower (not that they go close to the speed limit or anything, which I think is a safety and traffic issue).

Either they aren't currently allowed (which would make my day) or they are - in which case why do they need to change the speed limits?

Last edited: