• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
LSV's, stay off the 4 miles of 30A that are 45 mph. duh. :roll:

Or, thought about differently, do the trucks really need to SPEED through those 4 miles of the 20 miles, at 45 miles per hour? not 35? 4 miles? I know, there is so much work to be done, so fast, and who cares about the tourists right? Work work work, fast, fast fast,...

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
If there's a school on it, i would call it a major thoroughfare. 30A is not a resort. There are resorts on it, but it's not.

ok, wow. didn't know you felt like presence of schools, was a call for keeping higher speed limits in place. wow, and lol

"there are resorts on it, but its not".... Reminds me of 'depends on what your definition of is is"

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
30A i a major thorough fare? umm... i think you have it confused with U.S. Highway 98, just to its north a couple miles. What's with the stiff opposition to having 30A be a resort/vacation area? Aren't you the guy that runs the agency that's supported by TAXES on said vacation stays?

What if your tax base vacation constituency supports this idea? Would you support it as well?

Take it easy, she is replying as a resident of SoWal - no need to get pushy.

I agree with you that folks should slow down on 30A. But just as anywhere else on the planet people get caught up in day to day pressures and concerns. No need to poke them and make them more annoyed while driving near resorts with kids on the roads.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
This is an idea formulated and promoted by a group interested only in making money, not in protecting the environment or anything else. 30A is a scenic highway, a road, not a cart, bike, pedestrian path of any kind. Most of it is now 35 mph and the area at the North end that is 45 mph should remain that way. Some of us live here and are not tourists any longer. My pet peeve with Grayton is the stupid speed bumps they have installed. Trips to the Red Bar and Shorty's would be more frequent if they weren't there.

If the speed humps in Grayton Beach keep you out then they are doing their job. In other words, if you feel the need to drive faster than 20 in Grayton then I'm sure residents would prefer you stay away. Even with the speed humps people seem able to get up to about 50 mph between them.

As the sign says, "slow down, you are here".

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
ok, wow. didn't know you felt like presence of schools, was a call for keeping higher speed limits in place. wow, and lol

"there are resorts on it, but its not".... Reminds me of 'depends on what your definition of is is"

I don't give 2 sh!ts what the speed limit is on 30-A...rarely travel it because it's full of idiotic morons that think the entire highway is a resort. If you want to ride your little carts on the highway, that's your business. I wouldn't want to be you when you're holding up 2 miles of traffic, WHATEVER the speed limit is. Carry on, and wear a helmet, you might need it :roll:

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
For people who want to go slow on 30-A and not get exercise, another alternative would be nonmotorized bicycle taxis on the bike path. Could add local color to the area and provide jobs for area residents. (I'm only half kidding.)

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I think a much better idea would be to promote the use of smaller vehicles (like Smart cars or Mini Coopers) that have to meet crash requirements and that cannot be mistaken for a golf cart.

30-A is a heavily traveled traffic artery and the high amount of (clueless or fancy-free) visitors makes this idea a very bad one IMO.

Yes, you can take 98 if speed is your major concern to get to Destin or PC or 331, but there are not enough alternate routes or N/S connectors to lower the speed limit and encourage even slower moving vehicles w/o causing major issues for many businesses, residents, and visitors.

Semis, oversize loads of building equipment and materials, garbage trucks, delivery trucks (furniture, UPS, Fed-Ex, food, beverage, gas, landscape), dump trucks, firetrucks, ambulances, and other large vehicles HAVE to use 30-A and they do NOT need to be sharing the road with golf carts!

And don't get me started on the horrific probability that they will frequently be driven by kids w/o licenses and be full of unrestrained little kids (which we all know will happen).

I am all for promoting alternate forms of transportation and improving 30-A and other roads to make them safer, but we need to be very aware of the practicalities of these proposals and the fact that one of the things that makes this area special is that it is a full-time COMMUNITY, not just a collection of resorts.

I predict that as the Boomers age and the economy improves (and yes, when the airport opens) we will see more and more full time residents living in the area and we need to plan our infrastructure with that in mind.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
If the speed humps in Grayton Beach keep you out then they are doing their job. In other words, if you feel the need to drive faster than 20 in Grayton then I'm sure residents would prefer you stay away. Even with the speed humps people seem able to get up to about 50 mph between them.

As the sign says, "slow down, you are here".
I am sure you are right about the 50 mph between them and, no I don't need to drive faster than 20 mph. I hate speed bumps anywhere as, as far as I concerned they not only insult my and other people's intelligence, they are hard on vehicles. IMO, they serve no useful purpose other than to make a few local residents feel they have done something to correct a situation that only applies to a minority of the driving public.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
For people who want to go slow on 30-A and not get exercise, another alternative would be nonmotorized bicycle taxis on the bike path. Could add local color to the area and provide jobs for area residents. (I'm only half kidding.)

I believe rickshaws have been mentioned a few times. They might require foreign operators though

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I like the pedicabs like they have in Key West. Could be quite fun to have those going during season within some of the communities.