• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I'm not entering the debate, but I am posting some info from the National Motorists Association web page that I ran across.
No, I don't know where they get their data.
No, I don't know if they are a lobby group.
No, I don't know if it's really accurate.

Q. Isn't slower always safer?
A. No, federal and state studies have consistently shown that the drivers most likely to get into accidents in traffic are those traveling significantly below the average speed. According to an Institute of Transportation Engineers Study, those driving 10 mph slower than the prevailing speed are six times as likely to be involved in an accident. That means that if the average speed on an interstate is 70 mph, the person traveling at 60 mph is far more likely to be involved in an accident than someone going 70 or even 80 mph.

Q. Don't higher speed limits cause more accidents and traffic fatalities?
A. No, if a speed limit is raised to actually reflect real travel speeds, the new higher limit will make the roads safer. When the majority of traffic is traveling at the same speed, traffic flow improves, and there are fewer accidents. Speed alone is rarely the cause of accidents. Differences in speed are the main problem. Reasonable speed limits help traffic to flow at a safer, more uniform pace.

The bold sections seemed very applicable whether they are referring to highways or surface streets.

Speed Limits - Information, Studies, Laws, Legislation

Y'all may, now, get back to the business of flogging this horse! :D

Sarah Palin

Beach Comber
Oct 13, 2008
Wasilla
There is an exponential decrease in deaths as speed limits decrease. By reducing the speeds on 30-A lives will be saved. What would Jesus do? You have to do the right thing and change the status quo.

I'm not going to do a thing. This is so trivial while I'm dealing with the sick, indigent, and suffering. Please be a real Christian and invoke my name when appropriate.

AndrewG

Beach Fanatic
Mar 10, 2010
Brazen man. You do the same thing with Mohammad?

Jesus

Beach Lover
I'm not going to do a thing. This is so trivial while I'm dealing with the sick, indigent, and suffering. Please be a real Christian and invoke my name when appropriate.

Hey, Chris Cornell. I thought I got rid of you.

You registered your account a few days after mine. You are obviously copying my moves.

I already told you- the brightest stars in heaven and on earth are known by their first name. Think Elvis, Madonna, Cher, Beyonce. I am the real deal. You are a do-gooder and I appreciate that. But there's no room for both of us in this forum.

There is only one Kurt and there is only one Jesus.

Scram or I'm telling my dad.

P.S> Let me know if you want to meet for a glass of wine sometime.

Jesus

Beach Lover
And for the record, I think you should leave it at 45MPH on that stretch unless something substantial is developed over there. I spent a lot of time in California. 30A has a lot of similariries to PCH. Both are highways and golfcarts shouldn't be driving on either except for the real slow parts that go through small towns.

Drive safely.

Last edited:

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
Hey, Chris Cornell. I thought I got rid of you.

You registered your account a few days after mine. You are obviously copying my moves.

I already told you- the brightest stars in heaven and on earth are known by their first name. Think Elvis, Madonna, Cher, Beyonce. I am the real deal. You are a do-gooder and I appreciate that. But there's no room for both of us in this forum.

There is only one Kurt and there is only one Jesus.

Scram or I'm telling my dad.

P.S> Let me know if you want to meet for a glass of wine sometime.

Interesting that JC has higher rep than you. I could change all that with two mouse clicks. This I shall ponder for with great power comes great responsibility.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
Rdavies,
FTLOG, Highway 30a is a highway, road, street, etc.

It matters not what you semantically care to define it.

No one believes we should remove stop signs where they make sense.

This IS a safety issue.

I will gladly step forward and say that I personally don't want to slow down on the stretch of highway 30a that has a posted speed limit of 45mph so someone can ride their street legal golfcart or LSV on the highway.

This isn't a proSUV, gas guzzling, anti-environment rant.

I wish you'd come out of the closet earlier on convenience sakes rant - beautiful stuff.

Yes, its a highway, sure. Of course its still a 'highway' although I think it s a special and unique one in some respects - perhaps you don't? I think stop signs in the middle of it are completely appropriate now, although I'm sure many disagreed with these extra stops in Seaside or Rosemary way back when. I assume you'd agree that it's still a "Highway" for the 85% of it that's ALREADY defined as 35 MPH - right? If so, then why is making it cohesively 35MPH or less going ot hurt your feelings about it being such a "highway"?? I guess we'll never know.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
I'm not entering the debate, but I am posting some info from the National Motorists Association web page that I ran across.
No, I don't know where they get their data.
No, I don't know if they are a lobby group.
No, I don't know if it's really accurate.

Q. Isn't slower always safer?
A. No, federal and state studies have consistently shown that the drivers most likely to get into accidents in traffic are those traveling significantly below the average speed. According to an Institute of Transportation Engineers Study, those driving 10 mph slower than the prevailing speed are six times as likely to be involved in an accident. That means that if the average speed on an interstate is 70 mph, the person traveling at 60 mph is far more likely to be involved in an accident than someone going 70 or even 80 mph.

Q. Don't higher speed limits cause more accidents and traffic fatalities?
A. No, if a speed limit is raised to actually reflect real travel speeds, the new higher limit will make the roads safer. When the majority of traffic is traveling at the same speed, traffic flow improves, and there are fewer accidents. Speed alone is rarely the cause of accidents. Differences in speed are the main problem. Reasonable speed limits help traffic to flow at a safer, more uniform pace.

The bold sections seemed very applicable whether they are referring to highways or surface streets.

Speed Limits - Information, Studies, Laws, Legislation

Y'all may, now, get back to the business of flogging this horse! :D

Speed differentials are a great point, and are valid point of discussion, especially on a highway with such differences in traffic patterns - How do we cope with the fact that the average speed through Seaside is 10MPH in the summer, when the posted limit is much higher? You slow down and go with the flow-

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
...How do we cope with the fact that the average speed through Seaside is 10MPH in the summer, when the posted limit is much higher? You slow down and go with the flow-

I am sooooo with you on that one. I can't ever think of a time where 30A was a consideration if I had to get somewhere quickly. That's what 98 is for. I will say, though, that the 98 scenario is totally different for us on the west end of 30A than those on the east where the cut throughs stop at 395.