• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
from the article linked said:
“We must have a top professional to fill the vacancy (left by Mares’ retirement). Not an available entity that does not have the expertise necessary to compete in the lucrative but highly competitive industry.”
Does this mean that they think Tracy is unqualified to serve as interim director through the season? If I correctly recall, Sonny was promoted from within to interim director, while the County looked for a "qualified person," for Director. Then, after not finding one on their search, they promoted Sonny to Director.

I know very little about Tracy. Maybe she doesn't want that job, and hence the search for someone else to be interim dirctor. However, Tracy has been with the TDC for several years, if my memory serves me correctly, amd seems to be very smart, and I think she is likely capable of acting as interim director for the season. I'd be interested in hearing from more TDC board members on their opinion.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Does this mean that they think Tracy is unqualified to serve as interim director through the season? If I correctly recall, Sonny was promoted from within to interim director, while the County looked for a "qualified person," for Director. Then, after not finding one on their search, they promoted Sonny to Director.

I know very little about Tracy. Maybe she doesn't want that job, and hence the search for someone else to be interim dirctor. However, Tracy has been with the TDC for several years, if my memory serves me correctly, amd seems to be very smart, and I think she is likely capable of acting as interim director for the season. I'd be interested in hearing from more TDC board members on their opinion.
These would also be my questions. Tracy has acted as interim director at least twice now if my memory serves me correctly. She has been there for many years and knows the ins and outs of tourism in Walton County. What gives?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I find it very hard to believe given the current economy/unemployment rate that we can't easily fill this position with a qualified person and have Tracy be interim director during the short search.

Maybe the "criteria" for filling this position needs to be examined or made public. From what I know of the salary and benefits (even if we take away the trips to Europe, limos, and $500 dinner tabs) qualified people should be lining up!

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
I cannot remember this county ever staging a successful candidate search for any position. The Fire Department did, when they hired their new chief, but the Commissioners have never done it. They filled the County Attorney spot with a local law firm, and now it is empty again and we have an "interim" attorney (who I am sure is very smart, but graduated from law school in 2007).

When the TDC job was opened the last time, it ended up being filled by the "interim". When the county administrator's job became available, the "interim" was named permanent about 6 months after being named interim.

I am not aware of any actual candidate search or major hiring that this commission has done in the last five to six years.

I am beginning to think that they are just being lazy.

lazin&drinkin

Beach Lover
Apr 13, 2010
Lazy?

I cannot remember this county ever staging a successful candidate search for any position. The Fire Department did, when they hired their new chief, but the Commissioners have never done it. They filled the County Attorney spot with a local law firm, and now it is empty again and we have an "interim" attorney (who I am sure is very smart, but graduated from law school in 2007).

When the TDC job was opened the last time, it ended up being filled by the "interim". When the county administrator's job became available, the "interim" was named permanent about 6 months after being named interim.

I am not aware of any actual candidate search or major hiring that this commission has done in the last five to six years.

I am beginning to think that they are just being lazy.

Lazy? Watching them in action for the first time brought to mind clumsy, incompetent, and arrogant, and the degree of development of those qualities seemed to have required some effort. So, no, I don't think lazy is the right term.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Walton County, FL - Home Page - Tourist Delevopment Council Members

Tourist Development Council Members

Scott Brannon
Commissioner, District 1
415 Highway 20 East
Freeport, Fl. 32439
brascott@co.walton.fl.us

Don McQuade
Sand Castles Resorts and Hotels
4393 Commons Drive East
Suite 207
Destin, Fl. 32541
dmcquade@sandcastlehotels.com

Tim Norris
RE/MAX Paradise Properties
12815 Highway 98 West
Suite 106
Destin, Fl. 32541
timnorris@earthlink.net

Steven Hilliard
Vice President, Resort and Club Operations
The St. Joe Company
133-C South Water Sound Parkway
Water Sound, Fl. 32413
Stephen.hillard@joe.com

Jennifer Steele Saunders
Executive Director, Cultural Arts Association
2282 Scenic Highway 30-A West
Santa Rosa Beach, Fl. 32459
culturalartsed@embarqmail.com

Ken Gifford
Rosemary Beach Cottage Rental Co.
Vice President/Managing Director
P.O. Box 611040
Rosemary Beach, Fl. 32461
kengifford@rosemarybeach.com

Maurice D. Gilbert
Seacrest Beach Realty
9961 East Highway 30-A
Seacrest Beach, Fl. 32413
sandbroker@aol.com

Mary Jo Tommas
General Manager, One Seagrove Place
4100 East Scenic Highway 30-A
Seagrove Beach, Fl. 32459
mj@oneseagroveplace.com

Mike Strange
27 Sandestin Estates
Destin, Fl. 32550
mstang1212@gmail.com

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Lazy? Watching them in action for the first time brought to mind clumsy, incompetent, and arrogant, and the degree of development of those qualities seemed to have required some effort. So, no, I don't think lazy is the right term.
I don't think lazy is the right word, either. You must have caught them on a bad night but then, it was your first meeting. Maybe you'll think they improved after you have attended, say ten, or more. I usually find them questioning of issues, thoughtful and respectable toward any who has something to say. Do I agree with all their decisions, no but after attending BCC meetings with regularity for many years, I certainly wouldn't classify them as "clumsy, incompetent and arrogant" though considering some of the responses they get from citizens on occasion, I can undrstand why once in awhile they might be considered arrogant. Pissed off might be a better term.