• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
What is it with our local government and their sign fetish? :roll:

If it's a short term rental it should already be on file for tax reasons.

If it's a problematic short term rental I am either calling the number on the sign out front or the cops.

If it's a residential lot, clarify that using it for commercial purposes (weddings) is not allowed.

And of none of the above appeal to you, buy/live in a neighborhood that doesn't allow short term rentals.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Well, this would suddenly make my job easier. Or obsolete. :eek:

Seriously...whose full-time job will it be to enforce this? Though compliance is increasing, there are still a lot of owners who don't want to come forward and register to collect a tax that under normal circumstances doesn't come out of their own pocket, even if it means a lien on their property. What is going to make them comply with this?

I hate to say this, but if you're going to require a license, require one of all businesses. There, I said it. Throw a noodle at me.

Perhaps I will still be employed tomorrow. :roll:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Well, this would suddenly make my job easier. Or obsolete. :eek:

Seriously...whose full-time job will it be to enforce this? Though compliance is increasing, there are still a lot of owners who don't want to come forward and register to collect a tax that under normal circumstances doesn't come out of their own pocket, even if it means a lien on their property. What is going to make them comply with this?

I hate to say this, but if you're going to require a license, require one of all businesses. There, I said it. Throw a noodle at me.

Perhaps I will still be employed tomorrow. :roll:

Someone's still gotta compile the reports and deposit the checks. I think you're safe. Even so I'd stay quite and start playing Solitaire since you are statutorily required, let them realize that a few years after you're retired. ;-)

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Section 11. Posting of sign. Prior to the owner allowing another person to occupy the single-family detached dwelling unit as a seasonal resident, owner shall post a sign on the property meeting the following requirements:

• The sign must be prominently placed on the property so that the required content of the sign shall be legible as viewed from the public right-of-way;
  • Such sign shall not be larger than eighteen (18) inches by twelve (12) inches and not smaller than sixteen (16) inches by ten (10) inches in size;
  • The sign must clearly indicate the name, and twenty-four (24) hours a day, seven (7) days a week emergency contact phone number of the responsible party for the single-family detached dwelling unit. If the responsible party phone number and rental contact phone number are different, the sign shall clearly indicate both phone numbers;
  • The sign must be continuously on the property of the single-family detached dwelling unit during any period the registration has not expired; and
  • The sign must clearly indicate the expiration date of the registration.

Section 12. Penalty for Violation. In addition to any and all additional remedies available at law, any owner violating any provision of this ordinance may be directed to:
1. Cease and desist such violation;
2. Upon a finding of a violation of this ordinance, pay a civil penalty not less than $250.00 for first offense and $500 for repeat violations;
3. Every day a violation continues shall constitute a separate and distinct offense.

Section 13. Judicial Construction. NO provision of this ordinance shall be construed to impair any common law or statutory cause of action, or legal remedy there from.
Section 14. Severability. Should any word, phrase, sentence, or section of this ordinance be held by a court of competent jurisdiction to be illegal, void, unenforceable, or unconstitutional, then such shall be severed from this ordinance and the remainder of the ordinance shall remain in full force and effect.

Section 15. Effective Date. This ordinance shall take effect as provided by law.

Frankly, this whole part sounds like a violation of our Constitutional Rights under the 4th Amendment, specifically one's Rights to Privacy regarding their home (information privacy) The rest of the ordinance is redundant if you rent your home short term, you should be collecting tax revenue and all the information is already registered with the County and State Tax Revenue Departments.

Maybe next, they will require you to list below your name and telephone # the name of your first born son. People may want to consider putting the blood of a Spring lamb over their door. :roll:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Maybe next, they will require you to list below your name and telephone # the name of your first born son. People may want to consider putting the blood of a Spring lamb over their door. :roll:

Cornering the Jewish market are you?

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Didn't this all start because people were complaining about people misusing their property? I don't think the commissioners just decided to pick one of the most controversial issues out of nowhere. This started when people complained to their commissioners and they are now attempting to deal with the problem. If you don't like the FIRST draft go to the meetings and offer constructive input, or better yet stop complaining to government about a problem and then complain more when they listen and try to fix it.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Didn't this all start because people were complaining about people misusing their property? I don't think the commissioners just decided to pick one of the most controversial issues out of nowhere. This started when people complained to their commissioners and they are now attempting to deal with the problem. If you don't like the FIRST draft go to the meetings and offer constructive input, or better yet stop complaining to government about a problem and then complain more when they listen and try to fix it.

Huh? :blink:

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
my point is that people are already crucifying the bcc before there has even been a meeting on the draft. this all originated from the people not the government. if you don't like their response to your complaining go to the meeting and participate, or just don't complain to them in the first place. sometimes the medicine is worse than the sickness.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
my point is that people are already crucifying the bcc before there has even been a meeting on the draft. this all originated from the people not the government. if you don't like their response to your complaining go to the meeting and participate, or just don't complain to them in the first place. sometimes the medicine is worse than the sickness.

Well considering there's another thread where the complaining citizen wrote the ordinance I'm surprised the home owners and rental owners behind this didn't do the same thing, or they did and this is what they came up with. :dunno: