• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Busta Hustle

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2007
there is an ogoing interesting bit of "reasearch" being done by the justice department on insider trading and other wall street activities and guess whose name keeps on popping up?

beachFool

Beach Fanatic
May 6, 2007
Welcome back to the playground.

Just for the fun, on the day I proposed the JOE/INTC throwdown, I made a Fantasy Portfolio (FP) of the two stocks.

I put $2K in each stock at the closing price on Nov 4th (the day you named as the start date matching JOE against a list of nose-bleeding high-flyers).

You turned down my proposal to pit INTC against JOE, instead wanting to offer JOE against SPY, (which I declined--because apparently in some parallel universe--I upgraded JOE to a buy :roll:) I added $2K of SPY to the FP (also using the Nov 4 closing price).

The FP results as of closing today:

STOCK/VALUE/GAIN-LOSS

INTC/$2015.73/+0.79%

SPY/$1,967.78/-1.61%

JOE/1,776.89/-11.16%

One individual stock can outperform an index like the S&P 500 because owning an individual stock has more risk than owning a basket of 500 stocks.

Will an investor be rewarded for taking that additional risk?

Most of the time-no.

It's your money if you like giving it away be my guest.:wave:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
One individual stock can outperform an index like the S&P 500 because owning an individual stock has more risk than owning a basket of 500 stocks.

Will an investor be rewarded for taking that additional risk?

Most of the time-no.

It's your money if you like giving it away be my guest.:wave:

...that's why I own both--individual (high-quality mostly dividend-paying) stocks & market indexes (foreign & domestic).

Not everyone could or should own individual stocks. I personally like having individual stocks because they add some pizazz (and dividends) to the portfolio and I have a pretty well-diversified bunch, so I sleep soundly.

Now, when one speaks of JOE--then that's a whole other thing entirely.

Busta Hustle

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2007
also once you know how the bubble "system" works it is easy to swoop in after the crash and pick up individual stocks that are favored by the ibanks and thusly guaranteed profits with their relationships with the fed. Plus you can pick up a few other honest companies that just happen to loose stock price when the whole market crashes. It does not take alot of smarts just a stomach for being a part of the game.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
Busta hustle, is Joe under investigation for insider trading? Is this what you're implying?

BeachTrader

Beach Crab
Apr 17, 2010
All the debate about whether or not the 'insiders' are manipulating St. Joe's stock is pointless to us 'outsiders'. Instead, why not focus only on the price action? Some of the top traders in the world are trend followers. This method is time-tested and proven to work equally well on for stocks, currencies, commodities, etc. One does not need to know anything about the fundamentals of the underlying markets being traded.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Welcome back to the playground.

Just for the fun, on the day I proposed the JOE/INTC throwdown, I made a Fantasy Portfolio (FP) of the two stocks.

I put $2K in each stock at the closing price on Nov 4th (the day you named as the start date matching JOE against a list of nose-bleeding high-flyers).

You turned down my proposal to pit INTC against JOE, instead wanting to offer JOE against SPY, (which I declined--because apparently in some parallel universe--I upgraded JOE to a buy :roll:) I added $2K of SPY to the FP (also using the Nov 4 closing price).

The FP results as of closing today:

STOCK/VALUE/GAIN-LOSS

INTC/$2015.73/+0.79%

SPY/$1,967.78/-1.61%

JOE/1,776.89/-11.16%

Shelly, you are starting to sound like people who looked at their home value every day. I thought it was supposed to be about time in the market, not timing the market.