• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Cold Weather Shelters Opening in Walton County

I am a born and raised Floridian, never lived more than a 100 miles from where I came into this world. And it gets cold here. Always has. Now maybe not as cold as it use to, but I certainly remember the low teens and approaching zero when I stood by the road waiting on the yellow bus to pick me up. And while cold, riding up and down the river looking for the next place to sit in the cold and wait on a deer to wander by was never a problem. So when did we get to the point that when it gets to freezing we open a cold weather shelter? What is next? Are we going to set an upper limit? Are people no longer responsible for anything?

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
Interesting. I think we should. People still freeze in FLorida when the temps are below 32. Many of the homeless do not have the clothing or equipment to stay warm like hunters do. So many more homeless now and most are families with children.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Interesting. I think we should. People still freeze in FLorida when the temps are below 32. Many of the homeless do not have the clothing or equipment to stay warm like hunters do. So many more homeless now and most are families with children.

Thank you. It seems like some have lost their humanity. Fortunately there are people in Walton County that want to help others in need.

MRBS

Beach Lover
Jun 5, 2008
Seriously?

Cold Weather Shelters Opening in Walton County

I am a born and raised Floridian, never lived more than a 100 miles from where I came into this world. And it gets cold here. Always has. Now maybe not as cold as it use to, but I certainly remember the low teens and approaching zero when I stood by the road waiting on the yellow bus to pick me up. And while cold, riding up and down the river looking for the next place to sit in the cold and wait on a deer to wander by was never a problem. So when did we get to the point that when it gets to freezing we open a cold weather shelter? What is next? Are we going to set an upper limit? Are people no longer responsible for anything?

Is this a joke?

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
No. The die hard libertarian types believe you made your bed, now you get to lie in it - even if it is outdoors and freezing cold. You should have made better choices, see? All that tromping around in the snow when you are young toughens you up, makes you understand what it means to be responsible for your own destiny. So you took control of your life, made the right moves, and now you are toasty warm in the winter. If someone else isn't, well, it's just their own fault.
Or something like that, maybe bad karma, but you can be sure they are paying for some mistake or other.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
"There but for the grace of God go I."

Thanks DFS for doing something to help those in their time of need in the city. It's not just a big city problem anymore. Sleeping outside in freezing temps is much harder than waiting on the bus for 15 minutes while bundled up. We will see more elderly and homeless this year that need help, I am afraid. It is interesting that all of the other shelters in the other counties are run by churches and ours, here in DFS, is not.

I do believe this was opened last year during freezing weather, as well.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Last year did we not have a similar situation with the Creek Tribe. Also with our older population and their sometimes limited income they may need assistance in the summer time when the homes they live in may not be near as energy efficient as newer homes. Some of us were not born with money, or owning a business was not an option. Some of us were menat to be blue collar and surviving on what was offered or negotiated. Without us Florida would not be what it is today.