• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Last year did we not have a similar situation with the Creek Tribe. Also with our older population and their sometimes limited income they may need assistance in the summer time when the homes they live in may not be near as energy efficient as newer homes. Some of us were not born with money, or owning a business was not an option. Some of us were menat to be blue collar and surviving on what was offered or negotiated. Without us Florida would not be what it is today.

If I could ever just make the money I was making in 1984, I would be wishing for something else. Why does this have to be a money thing? A have or have not thing? Why not look at the real issue, why are these people not prepared, and if they are unable, what has allowed them to get in that situation. You guys are really shallow thinkers on this issue. And I am probably not making my point very well. But from the responses their sure are a lot of assumptions being made about what I am saying. If this is any indication of Congress, no wonder we are in the world we are in.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Is this a joke?

I do not think it is funny that people, either through poor planning, poor circumstances, or misfortune, can not provide for themselves the most basic of necessities.

But we know cold is coming every year, so what are we doing the rest of the time to help them from being in this situation. Can you imagine every night it is going to get cold, having to go to a shelter so you would not freeze?

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
I would rather live in a shack and share what I have, than sit on a hilltop in luxurious comfort watching those that are cold and hungry walk by. When I see a homeless person, I wonder if that was my brother/sister/child would I appreciate a stranger stopping to give and or help them? Every person on the street has a face, God help you WRobert if you fall on hard times by circumstance, not by choice. Even if you did...I would help you. That is just the right thing to do, it's not a political stance.

Our daughter and son-in-law live in Midtown near Georgia Tech. Every time I visit, it's unbelievable to me how many people live under the overpasses on the 75-85 connector near Georgia Tech.

Daughter did her pre-med requirements at Georgia Tech in psychology and had planned to go to med school to be a psychiatrist (decided to be a photographer/graphic designer/web programmer/artist ... long story). Anyhow, she learned in her psych courses at Georgia Tech that many of the homeless have mental illnesses and are not willing to accept help. There are also many with drug problems who have halfway houses available for shelter in the Peachtree/Pine area, but would rather freeze under an overpass than spend the night in a shelter. Not willing or sane enough to accept help. Really sad.

It's colder at 45 with wind and humidity at the beach than it is in Atlanta at 32 IMO. So IMO there's no question that shelters should be made available for those at the beach who are homeless.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Then why are we not working on things that would prevent people from getting in these situations to start with? This seems like a reaction to something that we have allowed to get out of control, rather than fixed in the beginning.

We had the same reaction last year, and the year before that. We open a shelter for those in need, whether it be from cold or from hurricane. The few nights I believe they opened it last winter, the temp was in the low 20's and teens. I have no problem with the city using my tax dollars to open the civic center for the homeless, elderly or those without heat for a few nights. They comp other civic groups the ability to use it without paying as long as it's for charity. Not having to die due to the weather is a charity I have no problems with.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
I would rather live in a shack and share what I have, than sit on a hilltop in luxurious comfort watching those that are cold and hungry walk by. When I see a homeless person, I wonder if that was my brother/sister/child would I appreciate a stranger stopping to give and or help them? Every person on the street has a face, God help you WRobert if you fall on hard times by circumstance, not by choice. Even if you did...I would help you. That is just the right thing to do, it's not a political stance.

The way I was raised, it was called the 'Christian' thing to do. Love thy brother, as you love thy self.;-)

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
The way I was raised, it's called the 'Christian' thing to do. Love thy brother, as you love thy self.;-)

...and..."whatever you did not do for one of the least among you, you did not do for me.'"

Too many people seem to have forgotten some of the basic tenets of both religious teaching and compassion...and empathy seems too often missing as well.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Exactly. But does this not send the message to not worry, or even try, because the ultimate safety net will be there to catch you? And where does it all end?
Only if you think the prime human motivator is fear.
And we are not talking about an "ultimate safety net," whatever that would be.