• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I'm new to the area--but why would you want to drive on the beautiful beaches? Is this some right of passage for long term residents?

Historically, vehicles have always been allowed on Walton County's beaches. Several decades ago, vehicles were banned, except at Grayton Beach, the access by One Seagrove Place, and Inlet Beach. The accesses at One Seagrove Place and Inlet Beach have been closed for years. Grayton Beach is the only access left.

Actually going to the beach at Grayton is difficult, if not impossible, unless you live in Grayton, or have a beach driving permit. Yes it is flat, but it is a very long way to walk. It is not a matter of "four-wheeling" as we used to do. It is going more-or-less straight down and straight back up.

The biggest single argument for continuation for driving at Grayton is not the primary reason most people want a permit, but it is because there is no other way to launch a boat into the Gulf in Walton County. The only other option is to launch into Choctawhatchee Bay and go around, which is inconvenient and costly.

And then, there are those for which having a driving permit is sort of a status symbol. I think it is these for whom the ordinance tolls.

I don't have one, and I do well without it. However, it is the only way my 80-year-old uncle is able to go down to the beach and fish. It's a way of life.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Here is something interesting, from WZEP email news:

Walton County Tax Collector Rhonda Skipper will soon return issuance authority for Beach Driving, Vessel Launch, Charter and Dog on the Beach Permits back to the Walton County Board of County Commissioners (BCC). Skipper notified Commissioners last week of the decision citing the operational expenses involved with issuing the permits.

The Walton County Tax Collector?s Office is currently the sole issuing authority on behalf of the BCC for the Beach Driving, Beach Vessel Launch, Charter and Dog on the Beach permits. Recent changes to the Beach Permitting Ordinance and the operational costs involved with issuing requirements played a role in Skipper?s decision to no longer serve as the issuance authority.

During an earlier commissioner meeting, employees with the Tax Collector?s Office asked the commissioners to increase the fee slightly to make sure the cost to process applications is covered.

In a release, the Tax Collector says a Primary reason for the business decision was the provision allowing all registered voters in Walton County to apply for a lottery of 150 permits. This provision creates the potential for thousands of applications to be accepted, and each one must be processed, verified, and archived for public records. The Tax Collector says the staff time required to comply with the ordinance is not fiscally sound for the $1,500 annual revenue generated for the Tax Collector?s Office which was already processing beach permits at a fiscal deficit. Transition of the services to a new issuing authority will occur before the renewal period for Beach Driving, Vessel Launch, and Charter permits opens in April.

Tax Collector Rhonda Skipper says recent ordinance changes caused concern about the operational expenses involved with issuing permits in accordance to the new requirements. She says her office is gearing up to begin offering Drivers License services early next year, and says it seemed now would be an appropriate time to discontinue serving as the issuing authority for beach permits.

Skipper expressed to Commissioners that she and her staff would work closely with the County to ensure a smooth transition to the succeeding issuing authority.

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
Who does the tax collector work for?

uhhhh... the people?
Oh silly me... maybe not s'much.

Skipper came up with a clever way of raising this point as a way of covering the tax collector dept.'s fiscal accountability.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I'm amazed the Tax Collector's office has put up with the beach driving and dog permits as long as they have. Rhonda's office has gone above and beyond.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I'm amazed the Tax Collector's office has put up with the beach driving and dog permits as long as they have. Rhonda's office has gone above and beyond.

I guess I don't understand why the government has to "put up with" the government. Isn't the tax collector a county employee? It sounds like an employee saying they don't want to do part of their job any longer because it got harder. :dunno:

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
I guess I don't understand why the government has to "put up with" the government. Isn't the tax collector a county employee? It sounds like an employee saying they don't want to do part of their job any longer because it got harder. :dunno:

Politics are politics and exist everywhere... even amongst families & friends.

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
RO if you had a permit last year you are grandfathered and will have no problem with renewal. Those that did not have a permit for 2010 will go into the lottery. Hope this helps.