• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
I need Cliff Notes too. If I am a property owner in Walton County and have a Georgia handicapped hang-tag because I have a torn meniscus in my left knee from runner's knee and am frequently on crutches, can I get a beach vehicle permit?

Did you have a permit last year? If SO, yes you're grandfathered in.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Tax Collector is a constitutional officer with a myriad of functions they are assigned by the State of Florida. Just like the Clerk, Property Appraiser and Sheriff. They do not work for the BCC. AND they are gearing up to offer DL functions - far more pressing than beach permits. At least IMHO.

Thank you for smartening me. My apologies to the tax collector if I offended. I thought the position was COUNTY tax collector. It's still confusing if personnel are paid by the county but directed by the state. I guess that's bureaucracy.

What are DL functions?

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Thank you for smartening me. My apologies to the tax collector if I offended. I thought the position was COUNTY tax collector. It's still confusing if personnel are paid by the county but directed by the state. I guess that's bureaucracy.

What are DL functions?
Driver's License.

smithwjhg

Beach Comber
Mar 31, 2010
Inlet Beach
www.wjhg.com
No offense, but do you know what we are talking about?

Noone is driving up and down the beach except county staff (Sheriff etc.) and BP.

Beach driving by permit holders only is confined to a section of the beach at Grayton - nowhere else.

The charter boats typically DO launch their boat, then take the vehicle off. There is no way for them to launch without driving on the beach.

Visitors aren't going to go elsewhere because of the beach driving policy. I bet 95% of our visitors don't even know it exists.

You can also drive on the beach in Inlet Beach. The access is at the end of S. Walton Lakeshore drive. It is nowhere near as big as the access in Grayton Beach though. That said, there are two different instances on the Walton Gov't website as to how big the access is...

either 66ft or 600ft.

66ft
Walton County, FL - Home Page - Driving on Beach Permits

600ft
Walton County Tax Collector

If I can take my media hat off for a minute... This whole thing has turned into a giant mess. To grandfather some in and then allow others to to apply for 150 lottery permits... of which you would have to reapply for every year and some years get it and other years not is just silly. IMO they should set a number of permits and then as people drop off others can apply for a lottery to get the grandfathered permit. At some point down the line they will decide to get rid of the driving on the beach and when they do it should be for everyone.

To open the permitting process to so many for just 150 temporary permits is ridiculous. That is entirely too much work for too little money for the tax collector. It should be for homesteaded property owners which would thin the herd quickly.

Media hat is now back on. :) The weather should be great (sans AM Fog) through the weekend! :clap:

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
I need Cliff Notes too. If I am a property owner in Walton County and have a Georgia handicapped hang-tag because I have a torn meniscus in my left knee from runner's knee and am frequently on crutches, can I get a beach vehicle permit?

From the ordinance as revised by the Feb. 8 county commission decision:

"Non-residents with disabilities, upon proof of disability (Disability Parking Placard, SSI Disability letter, etc.), will be eligible to receive a no-cost temporary permit. Residents with disabilities, upon proof of disability (Florida Disability Parking Placard, SSI Disability letter, etc.) may be issued an annual no-cost permit."

Chief Deputy TC

Beach Comber
Dec 19, 2005
Clarification

To clarify a few points raised in the previous posts:

The Tax Collector is, as stated, a Constitutional Officer and is not governed by the Board of County Commissioners. The Tax Collector?s Office operates as a fee office, in that it is funded primarily from the statutorily authorized fees it generates from the services it provides. The largest funding comes from the commissions it receives from the ad-valorem taxes the office collects and distributes to the taxing authorities.

At the end of each fiscal year, the Tax Collector is required to distribute any remaining excess revenue not necessary to operate the office, proportionately to the taxing authorities. This distribution of excess revenue results in a zero balance each October 1. The County is required by statute to provide and advance equal to 1/12th of the estimated commissions, in order to operate the office without disruption from October-November. This advance is returned upon the first scheduled distribution of tax revenues in November.

The annual budget of the Tax Collector is established in two parts:

1) Postage for tax bill mailings is required to be funded by the County.

2) The actual working budget which includes Personal Services (Employee Pay), Operating Expenses and Capital Outlay appropriation categories is approved by the Department of Revenue with a copy being provided to the Board of County Commissioners.

On or before August 1 of each year, the Tax Collector is required to submit her budget to the Florida Department of Revenue in accordance with F.S. 195.087. Tentative budget approval is due back to the Tax Collector with copy to the BCC by September 15 of each year.

Once the budget is approved by the Department of Revenue, a formal request for budget amendment must be submitted and approved by the Department of Revenue for any changes.

Driver?s License ServicesDuring the 2010 legislative session, state lawmakers required the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles to transfer driver?s license services to Tax Collectors by June 30, 2015.

The Walton County Tax Collector?s Office is scheduled to begin driver?s license services in Spring 2012. This will include both branch offices (Santa Rosa Beach and DeFuniak Springs).

The operational impact of pending driver?s licensing services was certainly a factor in the decision to no longer serve as the issuing authority for Beach Driving Permits. However, the primary concern was cost analysis associated with the processing of applications associated with issuing 150 permits via a lottery. It was determined that this obligatory service offering was in conflict with our strategic priority of Financial Accountability and Stewardship of the tax dollars we are entrusted with.

Please feel free to contact me for additional information at 855-0769 or by e-mail at godcory@co.walton.fl.us. Or stop by the Red Jeep parked on the beach on any weekend when the water temp reaches 68 degrees and the Pompano are running.