• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Elephant Child

Beach Lover
Aug 11, 2010
I question why the fire department is in charge of enforcing the ordinance. (I know occupancy is part of their purview, but I'd rather have them focus on answering 911 calls and let code enforcement do it. Of course that would mean CE would have to stop working banker's hours and take some initiative.)

Other than that, I fail to see why making sure people are following the rules they're supposed to have been following for YEARS is the economic doom you claim.

Unless you are currently violating the rules and are worried about losing your profits from doing so.

Perhaps Scooter,

They will be doing the inspecting because they have to answer emergency calls when there are fires, pool accidents, or rip tide calls. In Grayton for instant, sometimes because of the parking at these mega overloaded homes, parking extends into streets, private homes, and even into intersections . These emergency vehicles can't get through the narrow old streets. A residential neighborhood first, overtun with commercial ventures, and arge rental homes that rent are all comercial ventures. Think about it, a home that brags it can sleep 18, has two parking spots. The same thing happens when a home is rented out for a wedding or a wedding reception or a family reunion...not only do the folks who make their permant homes have to put up with parking...but noise, music, and very happy "full of spirit" guests.

Last edited:

Elephant Child

Beach Lover
Aug 11, 2010
What about sheds? I can fit 4 on bunks in mine. :whitetrash:

I don't see this legislation affecting me terribly since I mostly do not exceed the occupancy that would be allowed. I have a 4 bedroom that sleeps 12 in beds (no pull outs, blow ups or bunks) and I do not like more than 12 people. I advertise 10 because I know there will be more.

But, I can foresee problems with this legislation and lots of holes in it. Most of the rental agencies do not count babies/ toddlers in their head count (why for the life of me, I do not know- they still have to bathed, maybe more so than older children- their clothes are generally washed more after they have spilled apple juice on themselves all day or spit up) Personally, I have always counted babies in my head count because it cost me more to house them in power expenses. So, that will have to be ended in the future since the legislation doesn't differentiate between size or age.

Also, you may be following the rules as far as occupancy based on your lease terms, but we all know people bring more on occasion (day visitors included) than the agreed upon lease terms. So, if your neighbors renters know the occupancy, and decide that the larger family is occupying too much of the community pool, or are too noisy for their taste, now suddenly will there be tourists ratting on tourists? and who is responsible if there is a fine? The legislation is vague, to say the least.

But, is there a need for it? Most owners police their own homes or their development may have adopted occupancy rules on their own for the comfort and peaceful enjoyment of their homes and guests; although, there are always a few who really could care less, want the rental regardless what anyone else thinks or how it impacts others.

I see where you are afraid of fellow vacation renters maybe tattling over the abusers...ever thing about the families that live there full time...it isn't a rental that they live in, it is their permanent home... it is an ongoing weekly thing for them...the owner of the rental home is not part of the neighborhood...his property is a business...as long as it is making $$$ many of these owners don't care what goes on....they could care less about the neighborhood as long as they get their check from the rental agency.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Hotels/motels are different than single family homes.

They can put more people in a smaller space because they have to comply with stricter building and fire codes.

S

slideasy

This may not be the best topic to get my feet wet in, but here goes:
The county has sufficent ordinances already on the books to deal with the problems if they are enforced. Every new ordinance has unintended consequences, so I would think the best path is to enforce those already on the books before we pass any new ones.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
So, given that most short-term rental owners don't actually live in South Walton, what's the mechanism for having our interests considered in ordinances like this? This is not just about overcrowding at Wedding-designated rentals. I think this is a bad idea. I think it will negatively affect rental properties, property values, and tourism in the area in general. The bed taxes that my unit collects help to fund the County and services provided in South Walton. However, as a non-resident, I have no right to vote in Walton County. Does the County take into consideration opinions from the absentee rental owner community, and if so, what's the best mechanism for communicating opinions to whoever might vote in favor of this ordinance?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
So, given that most short-term rental owners don't actually live in South Walton, what's the mechanism for having our interests considered in ordinances like this? This is not just about overcrowding at Wedding-designated rentals. I think this is a bad idea. I think it will negatively affect rental properties, property values, and tourism in the area in general. The bed taxes that my unit collects help to fund the County and services provided in South Walton. However, as a non-resident, I have no right to vote in Walton County. Does the County take into consideration opinions from the absentee rental owner community, and if so, what's the best mechanism for communicating opinions to whoever might vote in favor of this ordinance?

Actually your bed taxes fund the TDC which provides some services such as trash collection along the beach. Your property taxes actually fund the local infrastructure, fire service, sheriff, etc.

Groovegirls

Beach Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008

Send them an email or a letter. Also you can attend the meetings when you are in town.

WaltonIsOne

Beach Lover
Nov 14, 2009
Walton County, FL

Grovegirls makes a good point about sending letters and e-mails.

Sorry, this is a long post answer to your question.

It has been my experience that both county employees and the county commissioners (or a staff member) do take the time to read and act (if necessary) on issues communicated by both e-mails and letters. Also, when possible, a face to face meeting works well.

In this particular case, you might consider writing the Commissioner in your district a short letter. And copy this letter to both the county Planning Department Head and the Head of the TDC. One of the benefits of living and/or owning property in a county with a population of less than 60,000 people, like Walton County, is that these individuals are accessible.

I have found that the Commissioners and the county employees I have interacted with do listen to constructive input and also respond to requests for assistance when priorities and resources enable them to do so.

This is especially the case when these county government officials or employees are treated with the same sincere respect that each and every one of us deserves and expects of them when we are voicing our views and concerns to them. Of course, we all should share our passion and knowledge with these individuals so that they can take both under consideration.

Also, letters and e-mails are important to the process of the creation of legislation. These documents become "part of the record" that is accessible to all county employees, commissioners, and us tax payers under the State of Florida's "Sunshine Law".

Also, something worth thinking about, when you are "looking" to help government officials make the "right decision", it is helpful to request access to county records, documents, e-mails, etc. that pertain to the creation of legislation as sometimes it might help you identify what has been discussed in previous Board of County Commissioners meetings concerning a particular topic.

A good county web site to visit to get this information is: Walton County Board of County Commissioners Meeting Minutes Online or you can contact the Walton County Administrators office to get the 2011 meeting minutes that not available on this site yet that touch in this particular issue. Also you can visit

http://fl-waltoncounty.civicplus.com/DocumentView.aspx?DID=3126

to get a copy of the legislation that is up for discussion at the BCC meeting on March 22nd. (Note this was originally scheduled to come before the BCC on March 8th.)

I have also found that signing up for "Alerts" on the County Web site telling me about the upcoming meetings in the County government is helpful.

You often can see agendas prior to a meeting, so that you can send a letter to someone in the government "before" a meeting to discuss or vote on an issue takes place, versus trying to do something about legislation after it has already passed.

Ok, sorry for the long winded response, but in summary, there are many resources available on the County Website and from the County Administrator's office that can make it much easier to get involved in "ALL OF OUR" local government no matter if WE are "citizens". Walton County govt. employees, or "non-resident" property owners and county "taxpayers".

In either case, we ALL should offer our time to "guide" the County Commissioners and have a voice in matters that affect all of us.

Walton County Government needs and will accept our help.

Last edited:

WaltonIsOne

Beach Lover
Nov 14, 2009
Walton County, FL
Actually your bed taxes fund the TDC which provides some services such as trash collection along the beach. Your property taxes actually fund the local infrastructure, fire service, sheriff, etc.

Also, the Walton County Taxpayers Association (WCTA) is a great source of information on local issues.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
This may not be the best topic to get my feet wet in, but here goes:
The county has sufficent ordinances already on the books to deal with the problems if they are enforced. Every new ordinance has unintended consequences, so I would think the best path is to enforce those already on the books before we pass any new ones.

So true. And I believe that the commissioners are starting to realize that this is a bit over reaching to solve an issue that is being created by less than a half dozen property owners. Hopefully they will listen. I was in on a meeting the other day with a commissioner and someone from the local chamber and their were some really good solutions discussed to solve the problems. Now if they can figure out implementation.