• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Elephant Child

Beach Lover
Aug 11, 2010
So true. And I believe that the commissioners are starting to realize that this is a bit over reaching to solve an issue that is being created by less than a half dozen property owners. Hopefully they will listen. I was in on a meeting the other day with a commissioner and someone from the local chamber and their were some really good solutions discussed to solve the problems. Now if they can figure out implementation.

solve an issue that is being created by less than a half dozen property owners.

I think you may have your numbers wrong...there are a lot of HOME OWNERS that live full time next to these rental homes and I think they also have rights too.

MRBS

Beach Lover
Jun 5, 2008
Sorry if I missed the answer if posted already, but if one rents a home for a week, that home being beach front,and gets the proper permitting for a 40+ attendee beach wedding, that they would be precluded from having the reception at the home? Thanks!

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Sorry if I missed the answer if posted already, but if one rents a home for a week, that home being beach front,and gets the proper permitting for a 40+ attendee beach wedding, that they would be precluded from having the reception at the home? Thanks!

While the ordinance doesn't actually exclude you from having a wedding, it's a work around to prevent homes in residential areas from being used as wedding houses.

To answer your question, if you could find a house that slept 40+ you could have the reception at the home as long as you didn't exceed the occupancy limit. I only know of one house that could hold 40+ people and it's not gulf front.

WaltonIsOne

Beach Lover
Nov 14, 2009
Walton County, FL

In the proposed ordinance, under Section 7 Short Term Rentals item A states:

Is shall be a violation of this ordinance to advertise or operate a "Short Term Rental," located in a residential land use category, for use as a venue for weddings, corporate meetings and retreats, reunions and similar funtions.

Here is a try at an answer to the question:

1. If "one" is a person and not a "company" then under the proposed legislation, it might be possible, if there is a "loose" interpretation of the ordinance.

If there is a "strict" interpretation of the ordinance, then there would be no chance.

But, let us use a "loose" intepretation and assume that "one" is a person, not a corporation.

2. One could rent an 8 bedroom home which is at least 4000 square feet or larger in which one could have up to 20 people sleep in the home. (2 per bedroom=16, plus 4 = 20)

3. If the house can sleep 20, then one can have double the number of people visiting the house for the reception. So that is 40. You could have the wedding reception.

But........under a "strict" interpretation of the proposed ordinance;

It would matter how one interprets the word "Operate". If Operate is interpreted to mean the same as "Use" or "Have", then there is a problem.

If "Operate" means to "run" the Short Term Rental as a Wedding Venue Business, then one would definitely not be able to have the wedding.

Confusing, huh?

Keep in mind, under the loose interpretation of the proposed ordinance, the county's parking, noise, disturbing the peace, and lewd and lascivious conduct ordinances would apply and must be followed.

And of course, assuming one is a good "neighbor", one would be notifying all of the other property owners living around the rental house that the event was going to take place and that one would have it under control.

Before the ordinance is enacted, just go for it.

After the ordinance, well, one might just have to hire an attorney to "interpret" the law to make a decision.

It is unbelievable.

It is almost like trying to solve a crime when playing the game of Clue. Only to come up with the game winning solution that it was Colonel Mustard that hit Mrs. Peacock in the head with the candlestick in the Billard Room.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal

Since you can't technically get "proper permitting" to hold a commercial function in a residential structure, my guess is no.

But it's all clear as mud.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
In the proposed ordinance, under Section 7 Short Term Rentals item A states:

Is shall be a violation of this ordinance to advertise or operate a "Short Term Rental," located in a residential land use category, for use as a venue for weddings, corporate meetings and retreats, reunions and similar funtions.

Here is a try at an answer to the question:

1. If "one" is a person and not a "company" then under the proposed legislation, it might be possible, if there is a "loose" interpretation of the ordinance.

If there is a "strict" interpretation of the ordinance, then there would be no chance.

But, let us use a "loose" intepretation and assume that "one" is a person, not a corporation.

2. One could rent an 8 bedroom home which is at least 4000 square feet or larger in which one could have up to 20 people sleep in the home. (2 per bedroom=16, plus 4 = 20)

3. If the house can sleep 20, then one can have double the number of people visiting the house for the reception. So that is 40. You could have the wedding reception.

But........under a "strict" interpretation of the proposed ordinance;

It would matter how one interprets the word "Operate". If Operate is interpreted to mean the same as "Use" or "Have", then there is a problem.

If "Operate" means to "run" the Short Term Rental as a Wedding Venue Business, then one would definitely not be able to have the wedding.

Confusing, huh?

Keep in mind, under the loose interpretation of the proposed ordinance, the county's parking, noise, disturbing the peace, and lewd and lascivious conduct ordinances would apply and must be followed.

And of course, assuming one is a good "neighbor", one would be notifying all of the other property owners living around the rental house that the event was going to take place and that one would have it under control.

Before the ordinance is enacted, just go for it.

After the ordinance, well, one might just have to hire an attorney to "interpret" the law to make a decision.

It is unbelievable.

It is almost like trying to solve a crime when playing the game of Clue. Only to come up with the game winning solution that it was Colonel Mustard that hit Mrs. Peacock in the head with the candlestick in the Billard Room.

Interesting, seeing as fire code only allows the number of people in the unit at any given time that it rents then the ordinance is already violating higher state laws.

BCC, please just let this die now and save the tax payers money.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch

Is a permit, other than a marriage license, needed for a wedding on the beach? I have not heard of this, but maybe someone else knows.

Regarding the reception, assuming that the home is in a residential area and you are renting for less than a six-month period, I would assume that there would be a violation involved with having the reception at the home, since it would likely be considered related to a wedding or a similar event. That is if the ordinance is approved.

However, from what I know about code enforcement, the person responsible for the violation would not be you, the renter, but the property owner who allowed their short-term rental home to be used in this manner. I understand that many property owners communicate to renters that they may not hold weddings and receptions on their properties, and I imagine that if the ordinance is passed, more of them would have that policy.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
If your beach gathering has more than 50 people I believe you are required to have a permit from WCSO for public gatherings. wrobert mentioned something about this at one time.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I understand the square footage requirement for short term rental occupancy may go south...and it should. This does not mean any kind of commercial enterprise should be allowed to be conducted in residential venues. They are two entirely different issues but one is trying to be used to solve the other.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
The public hearing for the ordinance has been delayed until April 12 due to an error with the legal notice for the hearing. The hearing will be in conjunction with the BCC meeting on that date, which begins at 4 p.m. and takes place at the South Walton Annex.