• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bchtravlr

Beach Comber
May 28, 2006
People live here because they choose to!

The biggest Pro: The People: People that live here in SoWal full time do so because they choose to because of the beauty and quality of life. As a result, everyone really loves their life here.

In every other place I have been, you run across people that are there due to commitments, career, family obligations, etc.

The biggest Con: Having a career which causes you to travel extensively makes you rely on the airline industry, which you can't rely on.

AlphaCrab

Beach Fanatic
Sep 25, 2008
Inlet Beach
Pro: An atmosphere where a healthy lifestyle can be quickly adopted--fresh air, biking, bootcamps, yolo, great running paths, walking on the beach, gyms, local foods, kayaking.

Con: None, or very little, cultural or racial diversity.

Since this is becoming a full time vacation destination for our outside visitors, locals are quick to adopt their attitudes of I don't care, life is a vacation, when is happy hour?, I will return your call or text when I want to and if I want to, and I don't have to use turn signals while driving.

Still not one single, really good, Italian Restaurant anywhere near Sowal.( And pls don't suggest any--I have been to them all). The Thai food has improved immensely though.

Last edited:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Pro: An atmosphere where a healthy lifestyle can be quickly adopted--fresh air, biking, bootcamps, yolo, great running paths, walking on the beach, gyms, local foods, kayaking.

Con: None, or very little, cultural or racial diversity.

Since this is becoming a full time vacation destination for our outside visitors, locals are quick to adopt their attitudes of I don't care, life is a vacation, when is happy hour?, I will return your call when I want to and if I want to, and I don't have to use turn signals while driving.

Still not one single, really good, Italian Restaurant anywhere near Sowal.( And pls don't suggest any--I have been to them all). The Thai food has improved immensely though.

If lack of turn signal usage is the biggest drawback in SoWal, we're doing pretty good! Who cares about return phone calls...just put down the iphone, walk away, and nobody will get hurt. :cool:

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
Pro- Morrison Springs is only 35 minutes away.
Con- Ikea is 500 miles away.

Pro- Yummy fish.
Con- $14.95 for fish tacos.

Pro- Small Schools
Con- Less Scholarship opportunity

Pro- sunny weather
Con- $300.00 electric bill

Pro- You know everybody in Publix.
Con- You know everybody in Publix.

Romeosmydog

Beach Fanatic
Nov 6, 2007
here
The above post was me. Someone was logged on my iPad. : /

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Pros:
We live in a very special community. I believe the beauty of the natural environment is a draw for people to relocate here. However, the community is so special because of the people who have chosen to make their lives here. People move here because they have made a decision about the quality of life they desire for their family, and these people really care and contribute to the community in many ways making it better and better. SoWal has become such a family oriented place! Even though our beaches are a big draw, locals know its way more than a beach! Our diversity comes from unique people moving here from all over the Southeast and beyond.

Lots of state preserved land, forests, beaches! One of the best qualities, imo.

Publix! (we had NO grocery stores here - and it was not that long ago). I can live without Walmart (happily), but I must have groceries!

Cons:
Shopping is still lacking.
We do not have racial/cultural diversity to speak of.
It is a very "white" kind of place.
No old, unique historic buildings.
Too many giant/rental houses on or near the beach.
Too many visitors on certain holiday weekends.

Most of the cons can be fulfilled through travel to large cities. But we just don't do that often because we don't like leaving town because we love being here.

Alpha C - the best Italian food is prepared at home, or found in Italy. You should know that! However, when I want to find a good pasta or veal dish, it definitely is here if you know where to go.

Last edited:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
A little story. I always thought pizza was and original Italian dish, and maybe it is. I haven't checked. Anyway, on a stop in Naples, Italy, our crew got off the beaten path and found a nice neighborhood bistro. I thought it would be great to order a wonderful Italian pizza so I did. Absolutely the worst pizza I've ever had in my life!

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
A little story. I always thought pizza was and original Italian dish, and maybe it is. I haven't checked. Anyway, on a stop in Naples, Italy, our crew got off the beaten path and found a nice neighborhood bistro. I thought it would be great to order a wonderful Italian pizza so I did. Absolutely the worst pizza I've ever had in my life!

we ate our way through Italy one summer. had the best pizza on the planet daily. along with pastas and gelato, coffees, olives, wines. fresh fresh fresh with many great locally grown ingredients!

of course, we occasionally wound up in a mediocre place - but certainly not often! we were on a budget but ate the best meals of our lives in very affordable places on a daily basis - the service was extradinary always. Some picnic meals were bought on the street in little bakery's, cheese shops, pastry shops, produce stores, etc. oh, we must return. the foods and cooking and ingredients in Italy are just divine.

Last edited:
we ate our way through Italy one summer. had the best pizza on the planet daily. along with pastas and gelato, coffees, olives, wines. fresh fresh fresh with many great locally grown ingredients!

of course, we occasionally wound up in a mediocre place - but certainly not often! we were on a budget but ate the best meals of our lives in very affordable places on a daily basis - the service was extradinary always. Some picnic meals were bought on the street in little bakery's, cheese shops, pastry shops, produce stores, etc. oh, we must return. the foods and cooking and ingredients in Italy are just divine.
One of our Italy trips was the summer I was pregnant with our daughter. I had morning sickness the entire pregnancy. But I craved cheese, pizza, and ice cream. So that's all I ate there. The pizza was really great. So different than in the U.S.