• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
So Wal-mart is not the great thing so many people thought it would be?

Score one for the bug!

What are you talking about? The general impression I got was that the gloom and doomers and Wal-Whiners predicted that:

1-The blight of a Wal-Mart would forever leave a scar on SOWAL. The light pollution, noise pollution, blahblahblah. We would be ruined.
2-The heartless capitalists in Arkansas were going to ruin every business south of the bay by undercutting prices. Pharmacies, hardware stores, Publix, you name it, Wal-Mart was going to kill them off. We would be ruined.
3-All SOWALIANS would be enslaved at SOWALMART once their place of business went under and employment was needed. We would be ruined.

Now it sounds like the main complaints revolve around the failure of the Arkansians to anticipate our love of auto sunshades, the really surprising development that a micro-Wal-Mart does not have as much audiovisual crap as a Best Buy and an amazingly short sighted strategy of loading the store with items that might be more useful to a family stocking a beach condo for a week instead of a family stocking up for a month. Jeez.

As I predicted way back at the genesis of the SOWALMART brewhaha, there was so much hyperbole which we now know was 100% inaccurate in retrospect. Scooty, if you get 1, the skunkape gets 10, and my 10 was cheaper than your 1 because I got my 10 at SOWALMART!!! :wave:

whatiscmr

Beach Lover
Jun 23, 2011
Walmart and Publix (which is a chain that nobody seems concerned about being in Sowal) appear to be thriving businesses and job producers. +1 for economic growth!

shellak

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
What are you talking about? The general impression I got was that the gloom and doomers and Wal-Whiners predicted that:

1-The blight of a Wal-Mart would forever leave a scar on SOWAL. The light pollution, noise pollution, blahblahblah. We would be ruined.
2-The heartless capitalists in Arkansas were going to ruin every business south of the bay by undercutting prices. Pharmacies, hardware stores, Publix, you name it, Wal-Mart was going to kill them off. We would be ruined.
3-All SOWALIANS would be enslaved at SOWALMART once their place of business went under and employment was needed. We would be ruined.

Now it sounds like the main complaints revolve around the failure of the Arkansians to anticipate our love of auto sunshades, the really surprising development that a micro-Wal-Mart does not have as much audiovisual crap as a Best Buy and an amazingly short sighted strategy of loading the store with items that might be more useful to a family stocking a beach condo for a week instead of a family stocking up for a month. Jeez.

As I predicted way back at the genesis of the SOWALMART brewhaha, there was so much hyperbole which we now know was 100% inaccurate in retrospect. Scooty, if you get 1, the skunkape gets 10, and my 10 was cheaper than your 1 because I got my 10 at SOWALMART!!! :wave:

if your smart remark about auto sunshades refers to my post, that's too bad. there were many other things that walmart did not have - i just didn't bother to list them. i am clearly not the only one who thinks very little of the place. the locals keep a place going...tourists are here for a short time. you can be a walmart fan....i choose not to be. free country, i guess.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I've heard from many locals who had wanted the Walmart who say they are disappointed in the merchandise. It is not just those who never wanted it.

However, I did find something the other day that I really needed to purchase asap (a shower seat for someone having foot surgery) - I was going to order online but I swung in as I was over that way. no one could help me, but I looked and helped myself. pleasantly surprised!!! thank you 8 lb 6 oz baby walmart!

Last edited:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I've heard from many locals who had wanted the Walmart. They are disappointed in what it has to offer so far.

However, I did find something the other day that I really needed to purchase asap (a shower seat for someone having foot surgery) - I was going to order online but I swung in as I was over that way. no one could help me, but I looked and helped myself. pleasantly surprised!!! thank you 8 lb 6 oz baby walmart!

So how is Scooterbug's foot doing? ;-)

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Here is a frontline report from your SOWALMART. I went yesterday to get deodorant, soap and shampoo. Just for fun I went looking for an automobile windshield shade. I did not find a shade, but the auto section is close to electronics and a nice lady from electronics asked me if she could help me find something...I passed and thanked her. Lots of Halloween stuff on the shelves and don't look now, but the Christmas goods are starting to arrive. Very festive, I tell ya. I contemplated buying an imported pair of sunglasses for $10 but resisted the urge. I found the exact products I wanted in the pharmacy area and was out in less than ten minutes. No crowds. Cashier was a very friendly smiling lady who skillfully hid the shackles that would reveal her unwilling servitude to WAL-MART. Got outta the joint for less than $11. And I forgot to mention, on the way in I pitched a handful of plastic bags into the bag recycler...very active hub of plastic recycling in the store, I must say. In and out. Got what I needed, helpful employees, quick and easy and eco-friendly. Great experience.