• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

buster

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2006
SoWal
Top SoWal problems:
seaweed
Tilapia masquerading as Grouper
Traffic jams in Seaside
limp Cilantro
$10 cheeseburgers
brown sand and geotubes
rust

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Top SoWal problems:
seaweed
Tilapia masquerading as Grouper
Traffic jams in Seaside
limp Cilantro
$10 cheeseburgers
brown sand and geotubes
rust

Right on!!!! I'm sure there are other problems but these are the important ones.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Not to be a buzzkill, but there is a lack of year 'round jobs with benefits, there is a high cost of living/housing,
and I have been hearing some pretty bad things about the local schools lately.

buster

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2006
SoWal
Not to be a buzzkill, but there is a lack of year 'round jobs with benefits, there is a high cost of living/housing,
and I have been hearing some pretty bad things about the local schools lately.

True about jobs - we're such a tourism-based economy good jobs are in short supply. You have a few financial jobs, a few managerial jobs, a few marketing jobs and that's it. We do have quite a few people here that work for military contractors.

As for the public schools, they are quite good and get good grades from the state. Parents generally are happy with the schools. Some have problems at the high school but often it is said because it is too small a town and still a relatively new school.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Tilapia masquerading as grouper (perhaps these tilapia can go to the Alys Beach Halloween party dressed as grouper)?!?! More details - even in a pm please - if you have specific information! I love a good grouper sandwich. I have heard that this is happening quite a bit in restaurants nationally (misrepresenting the type of fish on restaurant menus).

SneakyPete

Beach Lover
May 8, 2009
Okaloosa schools and South Walton Public schools are really amazing! Best in the state. Okaloosa (Fort Walton/Shalimar) is less picturesque than SoWal, but has more jobs (because of military presence), lower housing prices and is still plenty close to the beach. With the Mid-Bay bridge, Niceville is a reasonable alternative, with great beach access and schools, and is close to Eglin. Freeport is a good South-end option if you're into the semi-rural life. I'd nix Mary Esther west of Hurlburt and Crestview, not because of the schools but because they might not give you the beach lifestyle you're looking for -- lots of traffic and parking-lot scenery.

abenner17

Beach Crab
Dec 18, 2011
Wow! Thank you so much for all the information. It really does help a lot. I am looking forward to moving, and embarking on this new chapter in our lives!

Bentley.Cadence

Beach Crab
Jan 31, 2012
I think you should follow your ambition. It would be an amazing experience to move here with your family. If you plan on a larger family, be sure that your husband has a great job with a good salary. I am positive you and your husband will love it here. Even if it seems like 1029 days away. I Bible.

shellak

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
My husband and I moved here almost 8 years ago. We followed our dream earlier than we thought we would. We took a chance, financially, but we were very fortunate in that my husband found a good job doing exactly what he was doing in our previous city. Our children were grown, though, so it was easier to do. I agree with those posters who have said you need to find employment first. You also should have a strong savings in my opinion in the event the job situation doesn't work out permanently. good luck!!