• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

AimsBH

Beach Crab
Jun 26, 2012
Missouri
What's up with the fecal bacteria? Any idea how long this will be around? Don't want to spend our vacation next week being able to look but not touch :sosad:

To answer your question, it's a dynamic situation. Who knows what the water quality, weather, rip tide, biting fly, red tide, shark, jellyfish, seaweed, etc., conditions will be on any given week? You have to roll the dice and keep yourself informed.

To get specific info about beach water quality, keep yourself informed at http://esetappsdoh.doh.state.fl.us/irm00beachwater/beachresults.aspx?county=Walton . This website says they sample once a week, although sometimes they resample (like at Eastern Lake last week).

Check the thread about septic tanks for more info.

AimsBH

Beach Crab
Jun 26, 2012
Missouri
I spoke to the dept of health in Walton County and they indicated they had re-tested yesterday and would have the results today. I'm not sure if I should be optimistic about the rain and hope it has washed it out or worry that more ground water will cause more sewer leakage.... :| We've dealt with the seaweed and jellyfish plenty of times, but I'm not sure what to do with water that could make you sick by swimming in it. Especially with 4 small kiddos.

Last edited:

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
Here's a FAQ from Okaloosa's Department of Health site:

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/chdokaloosa/Services/Environmental_Health/documents/FAQs_HealthyBeaches_June2012.pdf

[...]
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
REGARDING BEACH WATER QUALITY
- June 2012 -
What is the Healthy Beaches program?
Coastal beach water samples are collected in Florida every two weeks by county health departments. The
samples are analyzed for enterococci bacteria. High concentrations of these bacteria may indicate the
presence of microorganisms that could cause disease, infections, or rashes. County health departments
will issue health advisories when these conditions are confirmed.
What are enterococci?
Enterococci are bacteria found in the intestine of all warm-blooded animals, including humans. Because
these bacteria are easy to detect and commonly found in animal and human waste, they are used as
indicators of recreational water quality conditions. Enterococci are the organisms that the US
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends using to measure bacteria leves in recreational
water.
What causes the health department to issue an advisory?
Swimming in natural water bodies is always at your own risk, regardless of whether an advisory is issued.
If the health department has issued an advisory, it is because enterococci bacteria have exceeded the
acceptable level.
Can I swim or wade in the water when an advisory is posted?
That is your personal decision. The Health Department is advising you to not enter the water if the beach
is under an advisory. There is a risk of illness from contacting beach water with elevated bacteria levels in
several ways: by ingesting water, by getting water in the nose, eyes, and ears, or by water making contact
with an open wound.
For the vast majority of people, the risk of serious illness is minimal. An otherwise healthy person may
have no problems with contact with the water of a beach that is under advisory. Some may experience a
minor inflammation of a cut, a mild sore throat, or mild diarrhea after exposure to water from a beach
under advisory. The greatest risk is for very young children, the elderly and people who have
compromised immune systems since their ability to fight off infection is limited by age or disease.
Swimming in natural water bodies is always at your own risk. Natural bodies of water contain bacteria,
viruses, and other microorganisms at various levels. This advisory is for elevated bacteria levels only.
Please note that the samples were taken at the beginning of the week and reflect the water quality at that
time and are limited to the specific beach area.
Water turbidity (water cloudiness) is a good indicator of water quality. The cloudier the water the greater
the chance the bacteria level is elevated. The clearer the water the lower the bacteria count. Use good
judgment when deciding to swim in natural bodies of water.
Is it OK to eat crabs & fish from an area that is under advisory or closed to swimming?
Cooking kills bacteria and viruses, so it is generally okay to eat crabs and fish taken from these areas --
as long as they are handled properly. Fish should be washed with freshwater, kept in a cool place on ice
and then cooked thoroughly. After cooking, neither the crabs nor fish should come back into contact with
any surfaces or containers in which they were kept uncooked.
Are the beaches closed when there is an advisory?
No, the beaches are not closed. Page 2/2
What should I do after coming in contact with natural bodies of water?
Shower and wash your hands well with soap and warm water soon after swimming and before eating and
drinking. While on the beach use hand sanitizer or hand wipes before eating or drinking.
When will the local health department lift an advisory or closure?
An advisory is lifted after results are back to normal.
What do the signs look like, and where can they be located on our beaches?
Visit the Okaloosa County Health Department’s website, www.HealthyOkaloosa.com, and click on the
“Healthy Beaches” link.
[...]

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Something tells me we have a better chance of getting sick from touching shopping carts and using public restrooms than we do swimming in the Gulf. Just a hunch.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I don't worry about swallowing water that can make me sick, contaminated water getting in my nose or eyes, or cuts getting infected when using a shopping cart or restroom.

AimsBH

Beach Crab
Jun 26, 2012
Missouri
Thanks, Lenzoe. Good info.

And I dunno, JDarg, I think I'd rather take my chances with every days germs that I can wipe down with a clorox wipe instead of an ocean full of fecal bacteria. I'm not sure I've seen a clorox wipe that big :) I do understand that $hit happens - in this case literally - but knowingly sticking my kids in water that is posted hazardous isn't on my bucket list. Luckily the home we rented has a big pool and we always have fun on 30-a with our bikes and all the fun little shops. We're still coming and going to make the best of it!

Thanks, Lenzoe. Good info.

And I dunno, JDarg, I think I'd rather take my chances with every days germs that I can wipe down with a clorox wipe instead of an ocean full of fecal bacteria. I'm not sure I've seen a clorox wipe that big :) I do understand that $hit happens - in this case literally - but knowingly sticking my kids in water that is posted hazardous isn't on my bucket list. Luckily the home we rented has a big pool and we always have fun on 30-a with our bikes and all the fun little shops. We're still coming and going to make the best of it!
From my experience pool cleaners don't service pools on the weekend. Our service day is Monday. So that means that if someone checks out on Saturday, the pool doesn't get cleaned until Monday. So when you check in and the pool looks cloudy, don't go into the water. Call the rental management company and demand that the pool gets cleaned ASAP so you don't have to wait until Monday (or later, depending on the schedule) to have a clean pool. You might want to buy a pool testing kit. You can get them at the pool supply place on 331 just north of the bridge.

Right now we are in-between beach houses. So we plan to buy a pool testing kit so we can check the water quality before we get into a community pool. The worst problem with community pools is baby poop in diapers.