• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Duchess

Beach Lover
Sep 11, 2005
Blue Mountain Beach/Reynoldstown
I've been in town for the week, hubby lives here full-time, lovely visit. Spoke with a gentleman twice this week about him locking his sea kayaks to the beach access walk-over. I will not identify the location. I assumed he was a visitor and tried to educate him in a positive way. He says he's been coming here for 50+ years, yadda, yadda, yadda, and that everyone else does it. He actually ties his property up just behind a sign that says it's illegal and the sign mentions the county code number. I pointed this out to him and he says it's still okay for him to do it. I don't want anyone to lose their property but this seems particularly egregious. Does the county police this? I know it would take a lot of time and manpower. What would you have done? I told him he's really just hurting the turtles.....

seabythegrove

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2012
How do the turtles know how to avoid the beach vendor's chairs and umbrellas that are left over night?

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
I took a long beach walk today and think I took a break on that very same walk over. If not it is a common problem and I thought the very same thing. There was a kayak on each side of the walk over I was sitting on today. And I will also tell you the folks coming to this area the longest and locals alike are the worst offenders. They just think they can do as they please. When we lived on the beach we threw away everything that was left behind overnight on the beach and this was several years ago. We maintained a turtle friendly beach and had a sign posted so it should not have been a surprise to those who had no chairs the next day. It gave us great pleasure to pitch stuff late at night. One family actually purchased lounges three times before they caught on!!! We laughed every time we saw them with brand new lounges with the tags still attached.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
We don't have a kayak yet, but were thinking of buying one to keep at our cottage there. So, if we do, is there an easy way to get the kayak up and down the dune stairs? Or, another option would be to drive the kayak to a flat beach where there are not stairs if we're going to bring it back after each use. Suggestions?

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
Contact code enforcement and the S.O. and report it. Being ignorant and stubborn doesn't give him the right to violate the laws. If you really are concerned about the turtles (and I believe you are) you won't think twice about reporting him and getting his property removed from the beach.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
We don't have a kayak yet, but were thinking of buying one to keep at our cottage there. So, if we do, is there an easy way to get the kayak up and down the dune stairs? Or, another option would be to drive the kayak to a flat beach where there are not stairs if we're going to bring it back after each use. Suggestions?

We just use the toggle handles at the front and back of the kayak and slide it up or down the stairs. It's not hard once you get the hang of it. One person can do it but it's easier with two. We just consider it part of the beach exercise program.

It is so beautiful when everyone gets their stuff off the beach at the end of the day.

30a Saluki

Beach Lover
May 21, 2013

Paula- I recently purchased a set of kayak wheels, but they are the smaller diameter wheels, probably no more than 10". The problem with that is the wheels sort of jam up against the step when you are pulling the kayak up the access, as opposed to rolling over the steps. I am going to try a set with 16" bicycle type tires, I will let you know how that works out, won't be until September though. I am attaching link. By the way, the wheels work great everywhere else, makes kayak seem like it weighs 5 lbs!
http://www.outdoorplay.com/Paddleboy-ATC-Kayak-Cart?sc=7&category=268

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Thank you! We'll be looking at buying a kayak or two in the next few years. We have a place to store them, but we need to get them across the street and down (and then up) a lot of stairs at the beach access. Would love the kayaks to feel like they weight 5 lbs!

KISH7374

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
Thank you! We'll be looking at buying a kayak or two in the next few years. We have a place to store them, but we need to get them across the street and down (and then up) a lot of stairs at the beach access. Would love the kayaks to feel like they weight 5 lbs!
Time to also invest in a Bow Flex, that helps make the kayaks lighter and makes you healthier. LOL.

T-Boy

Beach Comber
Jun 4, 2013
Ignorance has no bounds. Would never dawn on me to leave something on the beach overnight.