• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
I hope people have learned that our current superintendent is first and foremost, a politician. The quality of our schools have suffered and or children aren't getting the quality education they deserve. A lot of really fine teachers no longer teach and Walton county and incidents like the "cocaine teacher" fiasco underscore this. I hope Mrs. Anderson and her cronies take note!

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I hope people have learned that our current superintendent is first and foremost, a politician. The quality of our schools have suffered and or children aren't getting the quality education they deserve. A lot of really fine teachers no longer teach and Walton county and incidents like the "cocaine teacher" fiasco underscore this. I hope Mrs. Anderson and her cronies take note!

Just the "cocaine teacher"? Why not include the drunken principal who plunged 60 feet into the bay after having had way to much to drink?

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Such a sad state that we pine for a bureaucrat over a politician.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Such a sad state that we pine for a bureaucrat over a politician.

I really wonder about your term "bureaucrat". The school board, duly elected and with the authority, will hire one each well qualified individual, to supervise operation of the schools in their district. That person will be directly answerable to the school board and will serve at their pleasure. Your term "bureaucrat" is a little far fetched in this particular case. And oh, yes, vote "yes" in the referendum if you value quality education for your kids.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
I really wonder about your term "bureaucrat". The school board, duly elected and with the authority, will hire one each well qualified individual, to supervise operation of the schools in their district. That person will be directly answerable to the school board and will serve at their pleasure. Your term "bureaucrat" is a little far fetched in this particular case. And oh, yes, vote "yes" in the referendum if you value quality education for your kids.

A bureaucrat is anyone who has a desk in a bureaucracy. Which is what we are mired in more and more everyday Some people call it government. Lawyers, corporations, unions, lobbyists, order givers, order takers - what happened to the PEOPLE? We have all been choked by bureaucracy.

If there was ever an example of insidious and soul-killing bureaucracy, it is what the school system in America calls our "education system" but what people with common sense call child abuse.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Your definition of government in general and a bureacracy is humorous, though I agree with you about the "education system".

m1a1mg

Beach Fanatic
Mar 16, 2014
Lost in the world
I agree that the government is too big, but you just want to pull some dude off the beach to run the school district?

I'm a Libertarian, but even I understand the local government needs some pieces.

EDIT: Typo

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
"...Some dude pulled off the beach to run the school district?" would, in all liklihood, have a Phd or at least a Masters Degree, a backround in education management and a stellar reputation. As it is now, any "dude pulled off the beach to run the school system" can run for superintendent and be elected. I ask you in all sincerity, which is the better choice...a well vetted individual hired by the school board or the elected "dude pulled off the beach"?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
"...Some dude pulled off the beach to run the school district?" would, in all liklihood, have a Phd or at least a Masters Degree, a backround in education management and a stellar reputation. As it is now, any "dude pulled off the beach to run the school system" can run for superintendent and be elected. I ask you in all sincerity, which is the better choice...a well vetted individual hired by the school board or the elected "dude pulled off the beach"?

Thank you Andy. This is a very serious and positive change that needs to be taken seriously, and people need to take the time to learn the facts instead of making assumptions. Superintendent searches happen in 14,500 school districts across the country, and while they all have different circumstances, the bottom line is that there is a job description, the candidates have to meet certain qualifications, and many times there is a search committee made up of the school board AND community members, which would be great for Walton County. There will be no "dude pulled off the beach". Sounds like this is one of several pieces of misinformation about this referendum!