• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Not sure about etiquette/courtesy if you would be setting up in front of people sitting in chairs, but the public is not restricted from setting up their own chairs at the edge of the water. County code requires vendors to set up their chairs and umbrellas a "reasonable distance" from the water.

What you and I consider a "reasonable distance" from the water the vendors obviously don't. They barely leave enough room to walk in front of the umbrellas and certainly not enough for people to set up chairs. Also, the number of umbrellas put up daily at Adagio is unbelieveable.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Not sure about etiquette/courtesy if you would be setting up in front of people sitting in chairs, but the public is not restricted from setting up their own chairs at the edge of the water. County code requires vendors to set up their chairs and umbrellas a "reasonable distance" from the water.
today at BMB
Reasonable distance was about 5'. There were 19 umbrellas plus chairs spread out over 200' of prime shore line.set up at 6:30am around 11:00 a couple set up in front of one of the paid for umbrellas about at 1:00 ( 6 1/2 hours later) the renters came to use their chairs and told the couple to leave! You can imagine the conversation that erupted.renters moved their paid for umbrella. locals WON.

Seaducer

Banned
Jan 17, 2008
Destin
Truth be told, there are other boards where your misery is more likely to find some company.

truth be told having read a lot of your opinions I don't much care what you believe.

but if you think your obvious sense of entitlement makes it legal for you to take umbrellas and chairs
that don't belong to you simply because you don't like what they are doing with them then at least
have the guts to do it in front of the kid setting them up

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Noone is advocating that people take chairs or umbrellas, they are just saying that someone actively using the beach trumps groups of empty chairs.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
truth be told having read a lot of your opinions I don't much care what you believe.

but if you think your obvious sense of entitlement makes it legal for you to take umbrellas and chairs
that don't belong to you simply because you don't like what they are doing with them then at least

I'd really love for you to just post which beach service you represent.

That said no one is advocating taking anything. We are simply saying if no one is in the chairs move them.

Seaducer

Banned
Jan 17, 2008
Destin
I don't own or work for any beach service, try not to be such a caricature

I simply am pointing out the ridiculousness of your tough guy attitude about other people's private property

honestly a couple of you seem to have the intelligence and ability to discuss of a petulant 5 year old girl

"if you think your obvious sense of entitlement makes it legal for you to take umbrellas and chairs
have the guts to do it in front of the kid setting them up "

that includes picking them up and moving them without permission, unless you would approve of that happening to your car

Last edited:

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013

I don't know what you are doing with your umbrella poles, but I can think of at least one suggestion.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Thanks, Steel, you really put a conceptual problem into concrete visual terms. It is getting ugly out there.