• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Ya know...the school system didn't get in the shape its in today overnight. It has been years, years and years of apathy and "good ole boy" politics on the part of Walton County taxpayers (WCTA included) that has gotten it to this point. Looking at the candidates on the Supervisor of Elections site...I personally don't see much changing.

In District 2 you have the incumbent Faye Leddon (who actively participated in the current conundrum) and Kim Kirby the EX City manager for Defuniak Springs. Obviously she is the EX City Manager for a reason...politics included and from the looks of her bio, has no real experience dealing with issues facing the EDUCATION system in Walton County.

In District 3 you have Bill Eddins (State Attorney General's son) who is actively involved in Charter Schools (in particular Walton Academy) which is a HUGE DRAIN on the taxpayers of Walton County and another incumbent, Sharon Roberts that actively participated in the current conundrum.

In District 5 you have Darrell Barnhill yet another has been, former, School Board member and Jason Catalano who actually *appears* to be a viable alternative to the "good ole boy" (Barnhill) whose only claim to fame is as a licensed, certified, Flood Plain Manager.

Again, I'm going to reiterate I am NOT opposed to a hired Superintendent...BUT if the hired Superintendent is going to do the bidding of the elected School Board members, this is a dizzy-aster headed for more calamity!!

If Walton County wants to see real change we have to do far better than this.

And for all the yahoos who will suggest "why don't you run?", I'll admit I don't have the experience and/or education but I've damn sure seen the track records of the "has been's" and incumbents currently running. If, we've learned nothing from the mistakes of the past, HISTORY 101 has taught us we are DOOMED to repeat them!! We gotta do better than this.

*Note*

A vote for Bill Eddins is a vote to secure more money for Charter Schools which is NOT the answer to public education!

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
So Misty, what would you suggest as a better option to change and improve the system, keeping in mind that change has to start somewhere?

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I thought my post was very suggestive.

Has been's and incumbents aren't currently working.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Believe it or not jdarg, I actually think that change begins at the polls!

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
You must also believe that or your wouldn't be pushing the hired vs elected Super. I think you missed a prime opportunity to create meaningful change yourself by not running.

You have great ideas and I absolutely believe your heart is in it for all the right reasons but I think you have done this ballot item a real disservice by not running and campaigning for what you believe in. There are plenty of people to push it from the sidelines who lack the ideas and/or education to run but you are not among them.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
If we have good elected School Board Members, we would then have five people that could select, through a hiring process, the BEST candidate for the position of Super.

Powers that be want to keep that spot Elected as they want control of all county coffers.

The way the School Board / Super work right now, there is NO accountability, only one woman who seems to strike fear in her minions.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Believe it or not jdarg, I actually think that change begins at the polls!

I would tend to agree with you, but we all know how politics works around here (and everywhere else for that matter). And I absolutely do not feel that I am doing anyone a disservice by not running for something (especially since I do not live in any of the districts with elections this year). Maybe down the road, if the crony system lightens up a bit and "allows" outsiders to run for office.:roll:

If electing a superintendent works so well, then why is it less than 1% of school districts nationwide still continue this practice?

Regarding the school board members- change has to begin somewhere, and changing to a hired superintendent is the logical first option that will address one of the biggest issues we have, and that is accountability. Trying to kill a very good idea (one that 99% of other districts use) before it even has a chance, is nothing but shortsighted negativity. Considering that this is the ONLY idea/solution that has been proposed at all, you would think that with all the griping everyone does about the school system, the naysayers would at look at the merits instead of coming up with weak excuses to bury it.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Misty, you nor nobody else can determine who will run for any elected office. You make a perfect case for having an appointed superintendent instead of an elected one. A well written job description for the superintendent's position will go far to assure an experienced, properly educated and intelligent applicant is hired by the school board. They will have little impact on who is hired if the job requirements are properly laid out by human resouces.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I would tend to agree with you, but we all know how politics works around here (and everywhere else for that matter). And I absolutely do not feel that I am doing anyone a disservice by not running for something (especially since I do not live in any of the districts with elections this year). Maybe down the road, if the crony system lightens up a bit and "allows" outsiders to run for office.:roll:

If electing a superintendent works so well, then why is it less than 1% of school districts nationwide still continue this practice?

Regarding the school board members- change has to begin somewhere, and changing to a hired superintendent is the logical first option that will address one of the biggest issues we have, and that is accountability. Trying to kill a very good idea (one that 99% of other districts use) before it even has a chance, is nothing but shortsighted negativity. Considering that this is the ONLY idea/solution that has been proposed at all, you would think that with all the griping everyone does about the school system, the naysayers would at look at the merits instead of coming up with weak excuses to bury it.

I'm going to reiterate for the umpteenth time that I don't have issues with a hired Superintendent. Why is it that so many of you can't seem to grasp that???

What I do have a problem with is, leaving the same foxes in charge of the hen house and expecting different results. It's not going to happen. The current school board participated in the egregious problems the school system is now facing and unfortunately those seats that are up for re-election are either going to be filled by current incumbents OR a former school board member or one of Cecilia Jones cronies. I just can't wrap my brain around the fact that this IS the change I think most of you have in mind for the school system. In fact, I'd bet my last dollar it ISN'T!

Andy A...in your typical fashion you spout off without understanding my intent. I wasn't trying to determine who should or shouldn't run and for the last frigging time I'm not opposed to a hired Super!!! I think jdarg would have made a better candidate than those currently running and I think she missed a prime opportunity but I respect her reasons for not doing so. She also made a valid point...outsiders don't do well around here and that's just the way the "good ole boy's" like it and they are doing their damnedest to keep it that way....hence all the opposition (MINE NOT INCLUDED) to a hired Super.