• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
The opposition to the superintendent referendum has come out with some pretty interesting arguments against hiring a superintendent instead of the old fashioned and ineffective practice of electing one. In fact, they are doing a fabulous job of making our case for us! The parents, citizens, and teachers supporting the referendum are a nonpartisan group of people who saw a way to start the process of helping our school system evolve and improve, and an important step in that process is changing the way the system runs. If you were involved at all this year, you know that the current system was a total disaster when it came to the teacher salary negotiation, a situation that should be an embarrassment to every Walton County citizen. Also, those of us with children in school know that FCAT test scores, which determine school ratings, mean absolutely nothing when, as parents, we measure what our kids' educational experience could be with the right leadership. Our teachers are amazing now, despite zero support from their administration.

I also had to giggle at the RINO comments. The many Republicans working to support this referendum are a bit surprised to find out they are RINOS.:roll: And do we really want a "conservative" superintendent? What does that even mean? With this kind of thinking, our kids are certainly doomed!

So anyway, here is a letter that was published in the Northwest Florida Daily News. it speaks for itself, I think, and totally makes our point of putting Kids Before Politics. Clearly the author of this letter is missing the point!:blink:

LETTER: A cunning ruse

Published: Friday, July 25, 2014 at 18:03 PM.

We’re all aware of political manipulation of Republicans by liberals at the national level. Sadly, some conservatives and misguided RINOS are being outfoxed locally.
Here’s how. The Walton County school district currently enjoys an A ranking in student achievement. Yet there is a significant move underway to change the system.
Why change anything? Particularly, why change the method of selecting our superintendent?
Are liberals and RINOS behind this scheme? Are they attempting an end run around our voting process?
Again, why would they? From a liberal perspective, the reason is clear. In our conservative district, an election will invariably produce a conservative superintendent with a conservative educational philosophy. Thank heaven!
On the other hand, appointment by School Board will open the door to a progressive superintendent and a progressive education philosophy. School Board members are not required to declare party affiliation when running.
The superintendent election process clearly requires an open declaration of political, hence educational, philosophy. This eliminates liberal candidates — as it should, the will of the people.
In the election process a candidate must declare party, hence political philosophy. In this district, a progressive’s chances are quite slim.
This cannot be overemphasized: Changing to selection by School Board significantly increases the chances of a liberal being named superintendent.
Conservatives, open your eyes to this cunning ruse! Look around at the liberal bastions of education, where more money equals lower student achievement. We don’t need that type of change here.
Wake up! It’s your child. Exercise your choice in his or her education. Vote NO to an appointed superintendent.
— RICK McQUISTON
Santa Rosa Beach

Attachments

• funny letter to editor.pdf
    342 KB · Views: 110

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
Definitely makes your case. But I don't get it. So what is the take? Is this guy just using code for "we need to ensure we got a superintendent who is a christian"?

Or is he just shivering in his boots that a "progressive liberal" might be in charge who has a higher degree than him and his buddies?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
You got me Mike. I don't know why liberal or conservative even comes into the conversation about this issue.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I originally lived in a very conservative community, one of the best developed communities in the United States...Edmond, Oklahoma. It was so because of the close connection between the town and the local University. Many of their programs and visions transferred to reality through being adopted by the city council. The school board was elected. It was always basically Conservative in nature. It appointed well qualified, well educated superintendents. A superintendent able to work with all facets of the educational system. The thought of his or her political affiliation never entered the equation, only the individual's qualifications and ablility to work with everyone. Mr. McQuiston's letter is full of fallacious assumptions which have very little chance of occurring if a superintendent is appointed using proper hiring techniques. Bear in mind when considering appointed vs. elected that anyone can run for office and be elected. An appointed superintendent has to meet clear and defined job qualifications as was required in Edmond, Oklahoma, which had an outstanding school system due to proper and qualified administration. Please understand it is not the teachers that are at fault in the Walton County educational system, it is the administration and it is time to change it! And oh, by the way, there are few here who have more Conservative values than I, and I am certainly not hoodwinked by Liberals into voting for an appointed superintendent. I have seen both sides of the coin. VOTE YES on August 26th!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I originally lived in a very conservative community, one of the best developed communities in the United States...Edmond, Oklahoma. It was so because of the close connection between the town and the local University. Many of their programs and visions transferred to reality through being adopted by the city council. The school board was elected. It was always basically Conservative in nature. It appointed well qualified, well educated superintendents. A superintendent able to work with all facets of the educational system. The thought of his or her political affiliation never entered the equation, only the individual's qualifications and ablility to work with everyone. Mr. McQuiston's letter is full of fallacious assumptions which have very little chance of occurring if a superintendent is appointed using proper hiring techniques. Bear in mind when considering appointed vs. elected that anyone can run for office and be elected. An appointed superintendent has to meet clear and defined job qualifications as was required in Edmond, Oklahoma, which had an outstanding school system due to proper and qualified administration. Please understand it is not the teachers that are at fault in the Walton County educational system, it is the administration and it is time to change it! And oh, by the way, there are few here who have more Conservative values than I, and I am certainly not hoodwinked by Liberals into voting for an appointed superintendent. I have seen both sides of the coin. VOTE YES on August 26th!

Thanks Andy A! You and I working together on this despite our political differences is the perfect example of Kids Before Politics. ;)

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
I agree, Andy. One of the biggest problems in our education system IS politics . We have
groups that too often support teachers rights over students and others who want the Christian equivalent of madrasahs in public education. Another group's biggest requirement for superintendent is that the person must be conceived under a Walton County palmetto bush and not have stepped across the county line since then.

The world is changing around us. We need fresh ideas and new energy from new leaders who are not politicians, but committed educators with a vision and the support of the community and every parent to make the vision a reality.

Let's push aside the mindset of ...I went to Walton County schools (40 years ago)...if it was good enough for me then, it's good enough for kids now.

It's not good enough. Aren't parents supposed to want things to be better for their kids?

I am now stepping off my soapbox for at least an hour.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
I'll step up to the soap box and give everyone two words: COCAINE TEACHER

While my argument is not as kind as those in the recent edition of the Beach Breeze, they are blunt and based in fact!

The School Dist had hired a South Walton math teacher who is currently on felony state probation for possession of cocaine. FACT

When this became public the school district claimed to not have any knowledge of this...

Yet they have a large group making $ 80k +

How is it that a private citizen can obtain this information in 5 minutes off of the Internet, yet your school district has no knowledge of it?

Because they never wanted YOU to know this information.

The hiring was a political favor, done by the "elected" official.

What recourse did our Elected school board have to fire the cocaine teacher? Answer: None

Think about that!

The elected sup can protect teachers that abuse narcotics, drive off bridges while DUI, etc...

The only way this becomes public knowledge is when media reports it.

We all know how that works.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
It's obvious to me that 47 states have it right about hired superintendents vs. elected ones. Politics is what's wrong with the schools here so I can't imagine anyone being opposed to this effort. But I suppose there are always those who think that Walton County is right and 99.5% of the school districts in the U.S. are wrong.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
The "cunning ruse" letter cracks me up. Progressive educational philosophy has been around since the early 1900's. A reasonable amount of it is already integrated into public schools. It is only with the introduction of No Child Left Behind and Common Core that we have moved away from some of the progressive philosophy and back to traditional rote memory and standardized testing. Common Core, a centerpiece of traditional education, is hated by conservatives. The misunderstanding of parts of progressive education techniques is glaring in the author's letter.

Regarding an A ranking, it is meaningless. Proficiency levels in almost all schools dropped this year. 57% at grade level reading proficiency gets a district an A? Seriously?

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
JohnG wrote:
The elected sup can protect teachers that abuse narcotics, drive off bridges while DUI, etc...

Ms. Anderson had absolutely nothing to do with protecting the individual who drove 60 feet off the Clyde B.Wells bridge, into the bay, while under the influence.

That fiasco can be directly laid at the feet of the autonomous, self governing board known as the Radar Group that currently operates Walton Academy and several other Charter School in the State of Florida.

What can be laid at a Superintendents feet (whether hired or elected) and the school board as well, is the amount of money paid to Charter Schools in this county with no accountability. Charter Schools are pretty much exempt from laws that govern public schools because they are operated by private Corporations.

Bottom line is all that money that Ms. Anderson tossed at Charter Schools that got the school district in the shape it is in...is gone...and the taxpayers have no idea what it was used for and the schools who received it don't have to explain themselves.

If you want something or someone one to point fingers at you might want to look a little closer at the people who operate said Charter Schools including Bill Eddins and his co-workers and/or associates including Ray Sansom ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Sansom ) and Jay Odom.

Be careful who and what you vote for...it may be just more of the same wrapped up in different packaging.